Pat

Default CDDA Rip Quality

Can an Audio CD be read back, exactly as it was written?

I have seen some discussion that its not possible, due to the way a
commercial CD-A is made.

Arny Krueger

Pat wrote:

Can an Audio CD be read back, exactly as it was written?

Yes, bit perfect.

I have seen some discussion that its not possible, due to the way a
commercial CD-A is made.

I general, a bit-perfect copy of a CDA track can be written to a hard drive.
The resulting .wav file can be burned onto a new CD, and the original track
and the copy track can be identical down to the last bit.

I've done this many times. I often use this test as a means to judge the
quality of CD ROM drives and software for copying audio tracks to hard
drives.

Bob Saccamano

Can an Audio CD be read back, exactly as it was written?

Yes, bit perfect.

I have seen some discussion that its not possible, due to the way a
commercial CD-A is made.

I general, a bit-perfect copy of a CDA track can be written to a hard

drive.
The resulting .wav file can be burned onto a new CD, and the original

track
and the copy track can be identical down to the last bit.

I've done this many times. I often use this test as a means to judge the
quality of CD ROM drives and software for copying audio tracks to hard
drives.

I understand that a bit-perfect copy can be made, but I'm a little unsure
about jitter, and what audible effects it will have on a music CD. Any
thoughts?

Arny Krueger

Bob Saccamano wrote:

Can an Audio CD be read back, exactly as it was written?

Yes, bit perfect.

I have seen some discussion that its not possible, due to the way a
commercial CD-A is made.

I general, a bit-perfect copy of a CDA track can be written to a
hard drive. The resulting .wav file can be burned onto a new CD, and
the original track and the copy track can be identical down to the
last bit.

I've done this many times. I often use this test as a means to judge
the quality of CD ROM drives and software for copying audio tracks
to hard drives.

I understand that a bit-perfect copy can be made, but I'm a little
unsure about jitter, and what audible effects it will have on a music
CD. Any thoughts?

Because this is a digital to digital copy, jitter in the conventional sense
we see with CD players and digital recorders is irrelevant. The data is
either accurate, or it isn't. Done right, it's perfectly accurate.

Pat

I'm familiar with DVD Video. In that case, we're talking files. Pure files
where they either read in error free, or they fail.

In the case of CD-DA tracks, that's not the case. Correct? If not files,
then what are the tracks, physically, that you read into your computer and
write to the hard drive as WAV files?

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Pat wrote:

Can an Audio CD be read back, exactly as it was written?

Yes, bit perfect.

I have seen some discussion that its not possible, due to the way a
commercial CD-A is made.

I general, a bit-perfect copy of a CDA track can be written to a hard

drive.
The resulting .wav file can be burned onto a new CD, and the original

track
and the copy track can be identical down to the last bit.

I've done this many times. I often use this test as a means to judge the
quality of CD ROM drives and software for copying audio tracks to hard
drives.

Arny Krueger

Pat wrote:
I'm familiar with DVD Video. In that case, we're talking files. Pure
files where they either read in error free, or they fail.

In the case of CD-DA tracks, that's not the case. Correct?

Kinda-sorta. The CDDA track has a file system of sorts. There is a table of
contents. However, there is not a file system in these that is anything like
the file system on a CDROM.

If not files, then what are the tracks, physically, that you read into

your
computer and write to the hard drive as WAV files?

One of the best detailed discussions I've found:

http://www.ee.washington.edu/consele...udio2/95x7.htm

Uddo Graaf

"Pat" wrote in message
I'm familiar with DVD Video. In that case, we're talking files. Pure files
where they either read in error free, or they fail.

In the case of CD-DA tracks, that's not the case. Correct? If not files,
then what are the tracks, physically, that you read into your computer and
write to the hard drive as WAV files?

What does it matter? In the end they're just samples, laid out onto a disc
in an encoded fashion. The CD-ROM drive reads the track bits and decodes
them into samples which your computer writes to disk and encodes as a .WAV
file on the hard drive so the Operating System knows what to do with it.