How consistent are studio monitors of the same make and model?

Old July 19th 20, 12:32 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default How consistent are studio monitors of the same make and model?

John Williamson wrote:

>"Flat" sounds as close as possible to the original sound.

Agreed!

>The smile EQ makes a sound more pleasant.

Which I why I get such argument from aforementioned individuals who 'V'-shape
their home or car EQ, or boost the B & T.

Such individuals also cannot stand - for long anyway - a calibrated TV or
projection display. "Too dark", "colors aren't punchy enough". Too soft, etc.

That's partly the TV mfgs fault: Consumer displays are shipped with all the
user and internal adjustments "torched", IE Vivid mode, so that impression
became over time the expectation. Show these people accurate, and to them
it looks "broken", (facepalm!)
Old July 20th 20, 02:13 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

>Yes, and sadly fluorescent green grass becomes what
>people accept as being normal and good. Similarly with music.

>geoff

___________

I've had plenty of cases of people content with the above, geoff, even when there is an example of what
grass(and trees and sky) should look like, outside a window right near their TV!

Maybe to them TV is a way to 'escape' - and not emulate - reality?
Old July 21st 20, 07:08 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 19/07/2020 1:25 am, John Williamson wrote:

> If it still sounds good and the bass driver cone doesn't distort too
> badly on the NS-10, then the mix is okay for any sensible listening system.
>
> They were the archetypal cheap and nasty speaker.

Pretty nasty perhaps, but not really all that cheap considering.

Old July 21st 20, 11:36 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >, Trevor > wrote:
>On 19/07/2020 1:25 am, John Williamson wrote:
>>
>> If it still sounds good and the bass driver cone doesn't distort too
>> badly on the NS-10, then the mix is okay for any sensible listening system.
>>
>> They were the archetypal cheap and nasty speaker.

>Pretty nasty perhaps, but not really all that cheap considering.

We got ours free from the Yamaha rep.

Old July 21st 20, 11:41 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:
>Pretty nasty perhaps, but not really all that cheap considering.

__________
Considering their construction - I have bruised my knuckles rapping on few speaker
cabinets as rock-solid as that of a NS-10 or any of its letter derivatives!

Those Yammies were brutally honest. All of their sound came from their transducers, and
none from anywhere else on that speaker. Most people, esp. consumers, are used to
speakers where from twenty to as much as seventy-percent of what they hear comes from
the CABINET and mounting points of a speaker. Those resonances can permanently affect
their perception of and experience of music they listen to on them.

Then they listen to a reference monitor and vomit...
Old July 21st 20, 10:46 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_5_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> John Williamson > wrote:
>> If it still sounds good and the bass driver cone doesn't distort too
>> badly on the NS-10, then the mix is okay for any sensible listening system.
>>
>> They were the archetypal cheap and nasty speaker.

> But they were (and still are) a consistent and reliable cheap and nasty
> speaker. They are the same in every studio. That was a big deal back in
> the days of big soffit-mounted systems that sounded different in every
> control room, and even though it's not as big a deal today it's still a
> thing people like.
>
> I'm not sure it's as good a mix check as it used to be... people are more
> often listening on desktop 2.1 systems that are awful in different ways
> than the NS-10 is awful.
> --scott

At the same time, there are not-awful 2.1 systems for very cheap. They
obviously vary greatly.

--
Les Cargill
Old July 23rd 20, 08:55 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 21/07/2020 8:36 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article >, Trevor > wrote:
>> On 19/07/2020 1:25 am, John Williamson wrote:
>>>
>>> If it still sounds good and the bass driver cone doesn't distort too
>>> badly on the NS-10, then the mix is okay for any sensible listening system.
>>>
>>> They were the archetypal cheap and nasty speaker.

>> Pretty nasty perhaps, but not really all that cheap considering.

> We got ours free from the Yamaha rep.

Yeah, but some people actually paid for them. :-)

Old July 23rd 20, 02:50 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >, Trevor > wrote:
>On 21/07/2020 8:36 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:

>>> Pretty nasty perhaps, but not really all that cheap considering.

>> We got ours free from the Yamaha rep.

>Yeah, but some people actually paid for them. :-)

That totally floored me at the time, and I guess it still kind of does.

Old July 23rd 20, 10:32 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 24/07/2020 1:50 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article >, Trevor > wrote:

>>> We got ours free from the Yamaha rep.

>> Yeah, but some people actually paid for them. :-)

> That totally floored me at the time, and I guess it still kind of does.
> --scott

And they (and others) still leech off the concept by repeating or
emulating the cunning plan of the distinctive white bass drivers, made
highly visible in photos from many studio control rooms - most of those
buying them thinking that they were there because they sounded so GOOD !