How consistent are studio monitors of the same make and model?

Old July 15th 20, 05:08 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_6_]

Default How consistent are studio monitors of the same make and model?

How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency
(eg. frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.) between studio monitors of the
same make and model? *Is* there a high degree of sonic consistency between two seemingly identical studio monitors/playback systems?
Old July 15th 20, 03:26 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 7/15/2020 12:08 AM, James Price wrote:
> How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency
> (eg. frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.) between studio monitors of the
> same make and model?

By using good components, assuring that the pieces are put together
properly by testing thoroughly after final assembly, and charging a lot
of money.

> *Is* there a high degree of sonic consistency between two seemingly identical studio monitors/playback
> systems?

First of all, you need to recognize that loudspeakers are always going
to have some inconsistencies. They're difficult both to measure and to
construct for identical performance. That being said, modern powered
speakers with DSP tweakability to correct for small differences between
components are adjusted to meet the manufacturer's tolerances. The
better ones do it extremely well. It's what you get when you buy
speakers that costs $5,000 a piece and up (but there's no clear break here).

For monitors that are $125/pair, you can assume that the paint matches,
you hear sound when you send them a signal, there aren't any loose
screws inside the box, and that, at least one frequency, the level match
between a pair is within a couple of dB.

Old July 15th 20, 04:24 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

James Price > wrote:
>How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency
>(eg. frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.) between studio monitors of the
>same make and model? *Is* there a high degree of sonic consistency between two seemingly identical studio monitors/playback systems?

QC on individual drivers, QC on cabinets, then total system QC. And QC
doesn't just mean testing for rubbing voice coils; these days it will often
mean verified tests of all T-S parameters before and after breaking in the
drivers in the plant.

If you look up papers from Wolfgang Klippel, he is the guru on this sort
of thing.
Old July 16th 20, 12:59 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

James Price is a tedious ****** wrote:

> How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency
> (eg. frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.) between studio monitors of the> same make and model?

** Mass produced components tend to be very similar within a given batch.

Applies to woofers and tweeters.

> *Is* there a high degree of sonic consistency between two seemingly
> identical studio monitors/playback systems?

** Seemingly identical = what exactly ?

Speakers sold as a pair should be damn near the same - but the same model sold months or years apart is another matter.

...... Phil

Old July 16th 20, 09:53 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 21:08:39 -0700 (PDT), James Price
> wrote:

>How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency
>(eg. frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.) between studio monitors of the
>same make and model? *Is* there a high degree of sonic consistency between two seemingly identical studio monitors/playback systems?

If you take as an example the LS3/5A BBC monitor speaker, the B110
bass drivers were selected to have a resonance frequency within 5Hz
for a matched pair. The internal resonance of the cabinet will pull
the speakers into line from that tolerance.

Old July 16th 20, 01:11 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Don Pearce > wrote:
>On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 21:08:39 -0700 (PDT), James Price
> wrote:
>
>>How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency
>>(eg. frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.) between studio monitors of the
>>same make and model? *Is* there a high degree of sonic consistency between two seemingly identical studio monitors/playback systems?

>If you take as an example the LS3/5A BBC monitor speaker, the B110
>bass drivers were selected to have a resonance frequency within 5Hz
>for a matched pair. The internal resonance of the cabinet will pull
>the speakers into line from that tolerance.

And the thing is that with modern manufacturing we can get much better
consistency than we could when the LS3/A was new. Now it's not unusual
to see every speaker off the production line having the Fs within 5 Hz
of the nominal value, even for cheap stuff.

Whether they stay within that value as they age is another question. That
is the real problem with picking speakers that have had different histories
and putting them together.

Old July 16th 20, 10:57 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 16/07/2020 8:53 pm, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 21:08:39 -0700 (PDT), James Price
> > wrote:
>
>> How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency
>> (eg. frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.) between studio monitors of the
>> same make and model? *Is* there a high degree of sonic consistency between two seemingly identical studio monitors/playback systems?

> If you take as an example the LS3/5A BBC monitor speaker, the B110
> bass drivers were selected to have a resonance frequency within 5Hz
> for a matched pair. The internal resonance of the cabinet will pull
> the speakers into line from that tolerance.

My (self-built, complete with auto-transformer) LS3-5As are lined,
instead of with bitumous sheet, lead !

Have checked the Fs of the drivers though, over the last 30 years ...

Old July 17th 20, 09:45 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

geoff wrote:

============

> My (self-built, complete with auto-transformer) LS3-5As are lined,
> instead of with bitumous sheet, lead !

** Nice - radiation & X-ray proof.

...... Phil
Old July 17th 20, 12:38 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 17/07/2020 8:45 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
> geoff wrote:
>
> ============
>

>> My (self-built, complete with auto-transformer) LS3-5As are lined,
>> instead of with bitumous sheet, lead !
>>

> ** Nice - radiation & X-ray proof.
>

> ..... Phil

Quite inert too, in a physical sense. Sure it made zero difference to
anything though, apart from the weight.

Old July 17th 20, 02:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Semi-related: I recently auditioned a used pair of
NS-10Ms, and when they said FLAT they meant it.
I mean NO coloration that I detected. Of course they
sounded bass-shy, but that has more to do with how we
hear than to do with those Yamahas.