Keep the Mac or eBay it?

Old June 7th 20, 04:09 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

Default Keep the Mac or eBay it?

> I once saw a horse and cart that was really good.

I once saw sarcasm properly used

Old June 8th 20, 06:50 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 7/06/2020 12:14 am, Tobiah wrote:
> On 6/5/20 3:12 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

>>> Not from one direction or the other.¬* I just want both.
>>> Of course I live in the GUI, with browsers and audio
>>> programs open, along with terminal windows.
>>>
>>> One way I would like to work, is to write command line
>>> programs that generate MIDI messages that are sent to
>>> a sampler.

>> You need an Atari ST.
>> --scott
>>

> In the mid 80's I was absorbed by a Yamaha CX5M computer.
> It had a four operator FM synth module that could be
> triggered through hooks in the BASIC language.
>
> That was cookin' with gas.¬* I saved everything
> on cassette tape, but didn't know what I was
> missing.¬* The first program on the tape would
> display an index into tape counter positions
> for the other programs.¬* It was the inception
> of a file system.
>
> While I'm on nostalgia, had come across a commodore 64
> with a printer at a thrift shop.¬* I wanted to print
> from the Yamaha, so I used the Yamaha's controllable
> cassette motor relay to switch pins of the joystic port
> on the commodore.¬* Assembly routines on both ends worked
> out a timing code to send the data across and on to
> the printer.

But nostalgia still ain't what it used to be! :-)

Old June 8th 20, 11:11 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/06/2020 5:50 pm, Trevor wrote:
> On 7/06/2020 12:14 am, Tobiah wrote:
>> On 6/5/20 3:12 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>> In article >, Tobiah

>>> You need an Atari ST.
>>> --scott
>>>

>> In the mid 80's I was absorbed by a Yamaha CX5M computer.
>> It had a four operator FM synth module that could be
>> triggered through hooks in the BASIC language.
>>
>> That was cookin' with gas.¬* I saved everything
>> on cassette tape, but didn't know what I was
>> missing.¬* The first program on the tape would
>> display an index into tape counter positions
>> for the other programs.¬* It was the inception
>> of a file system.
>>
>> While I'm on nostalgia, had come across a commodore 64
>> with a printer at a thrift shop.¬* I wanted to print
>> from the Yamaha, so I used the Yamaha's controllable
>> cassette motor relay to switch pins of the joystic port
>> on the commodore.¬* Assembly routines on both ends worked
>> out a timing code to send the data across and on to
>> the printer.
>>

> But nostalgia still ain't what it used to be! :-)

Thinking back on nostalgia some more, I recall an electronics project
making a class-D (well, PWM) audio amplifier out of a 555 . It actually
worked - well, you could make out words ...

But I have no desire to go back there .

Old June 20th 20, 07:58 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_5_]

Tobiah wrote:
> Model Name:¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* Mac mini
> Model Identifier:¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* Macmini7,1

I just went through an upgrade. Wintel, not Mac.

The critical things a SSD and lots of RAM. 8GB RAM is
respectable; 16 GB is better. Not all SSD are now created equal
- I got a Samsung EVO 970, which uses a NVMe PCIe M.2 interface, so
it's 30 times faster than SATA. This is a massive upgrade.

Had I gone AMD instead of Intel, I probably could have
save a couple hundred on it.

It's now a quiet enough machine to track acoustic in the same
space.

A new Mac Mini is around a respectable $800. Not ... too bad, but
as the usual, you can get twice the hardware with Windows.

--
Les Cargill
Old June 20th 20, 08:11 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_5_]

Tobiah wrote:
>> Why do you feel the need change change your computer (a downgrade in
>> this particular¬* model instance) that may render your current software
>> unusable, or at least complicated to get it to work.

> Mostly because it's a Unix system.¬* I'm a programmer
> by trade, and I spend a lot of time on the command
> line.¬* I dual boot Linux and live there for anything
> except music.¬* I banged my heart at Linux audio for
> enough years.¬* I spent all my time configuring and
> none creating. Also my favorite interface is not
> yet supported.
>
> So I use Cygwin on Windows to get a decent shell,
> but it's a band-aid on a band-aid.¬* I wanted to
> be on a Unix OS where I'm comfy, with real audio
> support.

Well, it's emerging. I use UinxUtils and Mingw on
a Windows box my own self; it's good enough.

At work, I too use cygwin and it's definitely
good enough.

> Also, a couple of fellow developers at work are
> Mac heads and I've seen them use them for years.
> I found that it looked like an attractive alternative.

The bang for buck is still strongly with Wintel. I can't
tell if Mac is truly more seamless for audio. For say, $1200
you can build a machine that's nearly too much machine. And
you can knock that down and still have a respectable machine.

Hang out on PcPartPicker a bit. And there's always Hackintosh.

I do see people on the Reaper Reddit using Reaper on Mac. At
that point, why bother?

--
Les Cargill

Old June 20th 20, 08:13 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_5_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Try it. It won't cost you anything to try it since you already have it.
> You might like it. I do; I think the bash command language is a whole hell
> of a lot nicer than Powershell, and it makes it very easy to do operations
> like batch normalizing and batch resampling files when you're trying to get
> large projects done, or ship out a lot of slightly different demos of a
> project.
>
> If you don't like it, by all means sell it.
>
> The Apple thing is that it's a closed platform, so you pay more money, but
> you know the hardware will meet at least some basic minimal standard and
> if something goes wrong the hardware and software people can't point fingers
> at one another because they are one and the same.
>
> I like the Apple OS a lot more than Windows, but then I spend most of my
> time on the command line. Your mileage may differ, and it won't cost you
> any money to find out.

Have you tried Cygwin on Windows at all? It's not 100% but it's close.

--
Les Cargill