Oktava ORTF question

Old May 10th 20, 10:40 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tatonik

Default Oktava ORTF question

I have an Oktava MK-012 pair that I'd like to use in an ORTF setup. At
the moment I only have the hypercardioid capsules, not the cardioid.
It's my understanding that, generally speaking, to use hypercardioids in
an ORTF-like way, spacing would remain at 17 cm but the angle would
decrease from 110 degrees to 90. However, I recall reading (in this
newsgroup, I think) that the hypercardioid pattern on the Oktavas is
actually pretty wide - closer to cardioid. In that case, would it
better to treat the Oktava hypercardioids as cardioids and start with an
angle of 110?

Old May 10th 20, 11:03 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 5/10/2020 5:40 PM, Tatonik wrote:

> I have an Oktava MK-012 pair that I'd like to use in an ORTF setup.* At
> the moment I only have the hypercardioid capsules, not the cardioid.
> It's my understanding that, generally speaking, to use hypercardioids in
> an ORTF-like way, spacing would remain at 17 cm but the angle would
> decrease from 110 degrees to 90.* However, I recall reading (in this
> newsgroup, I think) that the hypercardioid pattern on the Oktavas is
> actually pretty wide - closer to cardioid.* In that case, would it
> better to treat the Oktava hypercardioids as cardioids and start with an
> angle of 110?

ORTF is just a name for a setup that works, and most cardioids aren't
perfect cardioids anyway. Try it at 110 degrees. If the center of the
image is weak, move them inward a bit.

That's the way spaced mic setups go. You twiddle them so that they work.

Old May 11th 20, 12:22 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/05/2020 9:40 am, Tatonik wrote:

> I have an Oktava MK-012 pair that I'd like to use in an ORTF setup.* At
> the moment I only have the hypercardioid capsules, not the cardioid.
> It's my understanding that, generally speaking, to use hypercardioids in
> an ORTF-like way, spacing would remain at 17 cm but the angle would
> decrease from 110 degrees to 90.* However, I recall reading (in this
> newsgroup, I think) that the hypercardioid pattern on the Oktavas is
> actually pretty wide - closer to cardioid.* In that case, would it
> better to treat the Oktava hypercardioids as cardioids and start with an
> angle of 110?

Try it out. They will work as ORTF for sure, probably with narrowing the
angle a little to give a solid centre. The determining factor will be if
the solid centre gives you a sufficiently wide overall coverage for your
purpose.

Pulling back will include more of the sound-stage, but may not suit from
a distance perspective with regarding performance versus ambience, and
tonality hf drop-off.

Old May 11th 20, 03:16 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Tatonik > wrote:
>I have an Oktava MK-012 pair that I'd like to use in an ORTF setup. At
>the moment I only have the hypercardioid capsules, not the cardioid.
>It's my understanding that, generally speaking, to use hypercardioids in
>an ORTF-like way, spacing would remain at 17 cm but the angle would
>decrease from 110 degrees to 90. However, I recall reading (in this
>newsgroup, I think) that the hypercardioid pattern on the Oktavas is
>actually pretty wide - closer to cardioid. In that case, would it
>better to treat the Oktava hypercardioids as cardioids and start with an
>angle of 110?

Use your ears. You will find if you keep the ORTF spacing and angles that
they behave very close to cardioids in that setup.

But.... the ORTF spacing is a good idea but not necessarily optimal for any
given room and you will likely have to fiddle with it a bit to get the stereo
image the way you want it. So don't let the label on the capsule bother you
any.

ortf question Nate Najar Pro Audio 13 December 15th 11 03:48 PM
ortf delay to ortf. do they need to be same configuration?? lewdslewrate Pro Audio 7 April 11th 11 12:55 PM
Quick question ORTF mic angles Richard Corfield Pro Audio 15 February 17th 08 05:52 PM
Oktava MK-219 Question porky Pro Audio 0 April 12th 04 05:53 AM
ORTF + Mid? Dave Brown Pro Audio 21 March 15th 04 09:23 AM