Posted to rec.audio.pro
bzb bzb is offline

Default Wondering about a mic . . .

You have all probably seen this clip (for those who haven't, here it
is posted on yootoob: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAOclgppEXc) but
some years ago (I think '76) George Harrison and Paul Simon played
Here Comes the Sun on Saturday Night Live.

I was wondering if anyone can ID the mics that are on the guitars?
There's a good shot around 1:12 on Paul's gtr.

Just curious - they sound pretty good to me.

Thanks.

bzb
--
THE SONG FACTORY
Words and Music, made to order(TM)

WWW: http://www.thesongfactory.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

bzb wrote:
You have all probably seen this clip (for those who haven't, here it
is posted on yootoob: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAOclgppEXc) but
some years ago (I think '76) George Harrison and Paul Simon played
Here Comes the Sun on Saturday Night Live.

I was wondering if anyone can ID the mics that are on the guitars?
There's a good shot around 1:12 on Paul's gtr.

That video is so smeary, I can't even tell that's George Harrison. But
the mike looks like an EV product. Maybe an RE-55? It actually looks
more like a 635L but the video is so bad it's hard to tell anything.

Just curious - they sound pretty good to me.

The RE-55 is a pretty good mike. I miss it. The 635L isn't half bad,
even.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Ben Berman" wrote ...
(Scott Dorsey) wrote in :
bzb wrote:
You have all probably seen this clip (for those who haven't, here it
is

That video is so smeary, I can't even tell that's George Harrison.

8-)

But
the mike looks like an EV product. Maybe an RE-55?
It actually looks more like a 635L but the video is so
bad it's hard to tell anything.

Thanks, Scott - I was thinking it looked like one of those
cheep-cheep EV mics, but what do I know?

"cheep-cheep"? Those EV mics were a lot more substantial
mics than most anything Shure was making in the day (or even
today for that matter?). I've had a life-long preference for EV
over Shure which I perceived as a disposable accessory a
rocker might buy at the corner guitar store when the previous
one broke.

It wouldn't be impossible for the mics in the video to be EV
RE-15 (cardioid). But they were "aimed" rather casually to
be a directional mic. I'd think the SNL crew would be more
careful than that. The video is too low-rez to see anything
more than a general family resemblance to Electro-Voice.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Ben Berman wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:gfa7a4$pns$1
:

But
the mike looks like an EV product. Maybe an RE-55? It actually looks
more like a 635L but the video is so bad it's hard to tell anything.

Thanks, Scott - I was thinking it looked like one of those cheep-cheep EV
mics, but what do I know?

Sadly, the RE-55 isn't cheap, and it was a very popular acoustic guitar
mike for cases where leakage wasn't an issue. However, the head on the
mike in the video looks to be larger than an RE-55.

It's so bad you can't see the shape of the head or if there is any venting
on the side like an RE-11 or RE-16.

The handle is awfully long, though, which again is what makes it look
like an RE-55 or a 635L. And the 635L isn't half bad on guitar; kind
of midrange-heavy but that can be good in a dense mix. It was a very
poor mike compared with the RE-55, though.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

bzb wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) wrote in
:

And the 635L isn't half bad on
guitar; kind of midrange-heavy but that can be good in a dense
mix. It was a very poor mike compared with the RE-55, though.

That's what I was thinking - aren't those 635's about $100 or so? Or
I'm thinking about something else . . .

I think you can still buy a "six-pack" of six 635A mikes for $500 from
Harris-Allied, or they are about $100 new. They show up all the time
for $50 or less on the used market, though, and they are so hard to kill
I would not hesitate to buy a used one.

The 635L with the long handle costs a little bit more. The long handle
is intended to allow reporters to get a little closer into a person in
a crowd, but it's actually kind of handy for a lot of things in the studio.
Like sticking into the back of guitar cabinets.

And Richard, I thought the singular (read 'only') beauty of the
Shures was that they _Didn't_ break ? Ask Roger Daltry . . .

Shure USED to make a whole line of broadcast omni microphones, some of
which were the equal of the 635A and some of which were as good as the
RE-55. All of those got dumped in the late 1980s when they started to
streamline their product line. I never see them used.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
drichard drichard is offline

Hi,

At casual glance, it looks more like an EV RE15 than an RE55 to me.
But I can't be sure either.

Dean

On Nov 10, 2:02*pm, bzb wrote:
You have all probably seen this clip (for those who haven't, here it
is posted on yootoob:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAOclgppEXc) but
some years ago (I think '76) George Harrison and Paul Simon played
Here Comes the Sun on Saturday Night Live.

I was wondering if anyone can ID the mics that are on the guitars?
There's a good shot around 1:12 on Paul's gtr.

Just curious - they sound pretty good to me.

Thanks.

bzb
--
THE SONG FACTORY
Words and Music, made to order(TM)

WWW:http://www.thesongfactory.com

I'm wondering if this is a good amp before i buy jcor28 Car Audio 1 October 21st 08 11:06 PM
Wondering mike High End Audio 11 October 10th 06 12:44 AM
Just wondering, what monitors are these? Marc Brevoort Pro Audio 4 March 4th 05 02:26 PM
Looking at 6a5g and wondering if it will fit in my 6l6SE amp doug Vacuum Tubes 1 November 11th 03 05:14 PM
Wondering where your order is? Gravity Car Audio 0 July 1st 03 01:51 AM