Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] vdubreeze@verizon.net is offline

Default mic for H2

I need to get an external stereo mic for my H2 for two reasons. I
wouldn't bother bumping up the quality for most of the things I use it
for, but I'd like to get the unit out of the sightlines while keeping
the mics as optimally set as possible under the circumstances.
Sometimes there will be someone shooting stills or video who'll need
it out of the frame, or sometimes for a live recording it's just too
visually present for the audience, with it's bright lights (which I
usually tape over). But as I was looking at options to solve that
issue I heard a live recording that really sounded relatively good,
markedly better than the rehearsal quality sound that comes from the
internal mics. I learned it was made with a stock H2 with a $100
stereo mic. (the model, omni/dynamic etc, info hasn't gotten back to
me yet, but it got me to researching). So killing another bird with
one stone by getting a good external mic rather than one that just
prevents the visual issue has now become a bee in my bonnet, if I may
pile on the garden cliches.

Anyone have any favorites for stereo mics for flash recorders for
under $150? I came across Giant Squid mics in my Googling. Anyone
here have any experience with these? http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com...-micline1.html

Thanks for any thoughts.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

wrote:
I need to get an external stereo mic for my H2 for two reasons. I
wouldn't bother bumping up the quality for most of the things I use it
for, but I'd like to get the unit out of the sightlines while keeping
the mics as optimally set as possible under the circumstances.

Unfortunately an H2 with an external mic is not a happy combination. The
internal mics are surprisingly good, but the external mic input doesn't
have enough gain for real studio-grade mics so you end up with a noisy
recording. If you're willing to use an outboard mic preamp connected to
the line input, that works fine, but it defeats the purpose of a
recorder as handy as the H2. I've been keeping my eye out for a decent
stereo mic that has higher output than most but haven't laid my hands on
one yet. It looks like the Rode NT4 would be a good choice, but it's
$500 or so, and it's bigger than the H2.

I heard a live recording that really sounded relatively good,
markedly better than the rehearsal quality sound that comes from the
internal mics. I learned it was made with a stock H2 with a $100
stereo mic. (the model, omni/dynamic etc, info hasn't gotten back to
me yet,

Well then, find out what it is and get one to try out. I suspect that
those plug-in powered little stereo mics that were popular with
Minidisks have pretty high output but I don't know if there's one that
sounds even as good as the built-in mics.

I came across Giant Squid mics in my Googling.

Never heard of it, but with those specs, I wouldn't buy it unless he'll
take it back and give you a refund. If he will, give it a try.

me he
)