Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ludwig77 Ludwig77 is offline

Default Muffled mic'd tube amp

I've been recording my Mesa Boogie Lone Star with a Shure SM-57 mic in
front of it.

For some reason, the amp sounds muffled on the recordings. Could this
be my preamps?

I have the mic placed at an angle towards the edge of the speaker, but
the angle points it towards the center to balance the

lows with the highs.

I'm using an Emu 1820m sound card with a TFTpro built in preamp.

The guitar is a single-coiled Strat so it should have no problem with
the high frequencies. And the amp's high-end sounds

fine to me in the studio room.

If I need a preamp, what would be ideal for micing a guitar amp, that
is not going to kill my wallet?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Ludwig77 wrote:
I've been recording my Mesa Boogie Lone Star with a Shure SM-57 mic in
front of it.

For some reason, the amp sounds muffled on the recordings. Could this
be my preamps?

Maybe, but probably not. If you record your voice or an acoustic guitar
does it sound muffled? If not, it's not the preamps.

I have the mic placed at an angle towards the edge of the speaker, but
the angle points it towards the center to balance the
lows with the highs.

I'm not sure I understand this. You have it toward the center but also
toward the edge?

Either way, odds are the problem is where you put the mike. Point it
perpendicular to the box. If you move it toward the center, it gets
brighter. If you move to toward the edge, it gets more muffled. If
you pull it back you get more room. If you move it forward you get
less. If you can't get any tone you like, try the back of the cabinet.

I'm using an Emu 1820m sound card with a TFTpro built in preamp.

The guitar is a single-coiled Strat so it should have no problem with
the high frequencies. And the amp's high-end sounds

fine to me in the studio room.

If I need a preamp, what would be ideal for micing a guitar amp, that
is not going to kill my wallet?

I doubt there is anything wrong with your preamp, it's more likely where
you are pointing the microphone.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

I doubt there is anything wrong with your preamp, it's more likely
where you are pointing the microphone.

....Or how close.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Oct 16, 7:54*pm, Ludwig77 wrote:
I've been recording my Mesa Boogie Lone Star with a Shure SM-57 mic in
front of it.

For some reason, the amp sounds muffled on the recordings. Could this
be my preamps?

I have the mic placed at an angle towards the edge of the speaker, but
the angle points it towards the center to balance the

lows with the highs.

I'm using an Emu 1820m sound card with a TFTpro built in preamp.

The guitar is a single-coiled Strat so it should have no problem with
the high frequencies. And the amp's high-end sounds

fine to me in the studio room.

Here's my starting point:
The mic pointed directly on axis (I don't know that I've ever
angled the mic on purpose) at the seam between the center
dome and the actual cone. On an EV with a 4" dome that
puts it 2" off dead center. As close as possible without
touching the grille.

From there I can move out toward the edge for more character
or a bassier sound, or back away for less proximity.

If I need a preamp, what would be ideal for micing a guitar amp, that
is not going to kill my wallet?

Something that will load the '57 properly.
You might also try loading the '57 with a transformer or other
600 ohm(ish) load.

Can you try other mics ?
I like the Sennh 409/509 or early 609, (gold or black, NOT silver)
Has anyone used the newer E906 with the variable presence ?

rd
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Ludwig77" wrote in message
I've been recording my Mesa Boogie Lone Star with a Shure SM-57 mic in
front of it.

For some reason, the amp sounds muffled on the recordings. Could this
be my preamps?

Possible, but very unlikely.

Have you recorded anything else with that particular SM57? It may be broken.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:54:35 -0700 (PDT), Ludwig77
wrote:

I've been recording my Mesa Boogie Lone Star with a Shure SM-57 mic in
front of it.

For some reason, the amp sounds muffled on the recordings. Could this
be my preamps?

I have the mic placed at an angle towards the edge of the speaker, but
the angle points it towards the center to balance the

lows with the highs.

I'm using an Emu 1820m sound card with a TFTpro built in preamp.

The guitar is a single-coiled Strat so it should have no problem with
the high frequencies. And the amp's high-end sounds

fine to me in the studio room.

If I need a preamp, what would be ideal for micing a guitar amp, that
is not going to kill my wallet?

How does the same mic theough the same preamp sound on other sources?

What other mic positions relative to the speaker have you tried?

What other mics have you available? What do they sound like on the
same job?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Ludwig77 wrote:
I've been recording my Mesa Boogie Lone Star with a Shure SM-57 mic in
front of it.

For some reason, the amp sounds muffled on the recordings. Could this
be my preamps?

It could be that you're overloading the preamp input. How are you
setting the gain and record level? How loud are you playing the
amplifier? What are your "preamps?"

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ludwig77 Ludwig77 is offline

Everyone, I later discovered that the amp sounds a lot better if the
mic is aimed close to the center of the speaker.

As for my preamps, my E-mu 1820m has built in TFTPro preamps.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Ludwig77 wrote:
Everyone, I later discovered that the amp sounds a lot better if the
mic is aimed close to the center of the speaker.

As for my preamps, my E-mu 1820m has built in TFTPro preamps.

Thin Film Transistor Pro Preamps ?

geoff