Posted to rec.audio.pro
Russ10 Russ10 is offline

Default Wanted: Monitor recommendations

Looking for some recommendations on powered studio monitors in the $350
- $500 (per pair) range. Should have an uncolored, flat response, be
reliable, and have an accurate, (extended) low frequency response (I'm a
bass player who plays a 5-string). As well as recommendations, I'd
welcome info on any monitors to avoid (ex: I've heard the Alesis M1
Active Mk II's have had a power supply problem?) Also - If there's a
better place to seek recommendations, please let me know. I'm grateful
to anyone who can help. Thx.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Russ10" wrote in message
net...

Looking for some recommendations on powered studio monitors in
the $350 -- $500 (per pair) range. Should have an uncolored, flat
response, be reliable, and have an accurate, (extended) low
frequency response (I'm a bass player who plays a 5-string).

And you want all this for $500? A pair?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Russ10" wrote

Looking for some recommendations on powered studio monitors in
the $350 -- $500 (per pair) range. Should have an uncolored, flat
response, be reliable, and have an accurate, (extended) low
frequency response (I'm a bass player who plays a 5-string).

And you want all this for $500? A pair?

You beat me to it ! ;~)

Try $5000 min.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Russ10 Russ10 is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Russ10" wrote in message
net...

Looking for some recommendations on powered studio monitors in
the $350 -- $500 (per pair) range. Should have an uncolored, flat
response, be reliable, and have an accurate, (extended) low
frequency response (I'm a bass player who plays a 5-string).

And you want all this for $500? A pair?

I know to many (most) $500 per pair is "cheap." But instead of
criticizing, some recommendations of the best in this price range would
be welcome. I don't expect them to be perfect - or even near so. My
budget is $500, and the best I can get for that price is what I'm
looking for.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Russ10 wrote:
I know to many (most) $500 per pair is "cheap." But instead of
criticizing, some recommendations of the best in this price range would
be welcome. I don't expect them to be perfect - or even near so. My
budget is $500, and the best I can get for that price is what I'm
looking for.

How about a used pair of the NHT 3.3 home speakers, or the Classic 4,
or something in that family? Add a used Adcom GFA-555 or similar power
amp. Midrange is respectable, overall image is okay, bass is better
than you'll get from most systems in that price range. It's nothing
to write home about, but it's not horrible and it has some amount of
bass extension, which is saying a lot for that price.

You'll be hardpressed to find something in the $500 range that is
not horrible, especially if you care about bass extension at all.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Moshe Goldfarb. Moshe Goldfarb. is offline

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:24:11 -0400, Russ10 wrote:

Looking for some recommendations on powered studio monitors in the $350
- $500 (per pair) range. Should have an uncolored, flat response, be
reliable, and have an accurate, (extended) low frequency response (I'm a
bass player who plays a 5-string). As well as recommendations, I'd
welcome info on any monitors to avoid (ex: I've heard the Alesis M1
Active Mk II's have had a power supply problem?) Also - If there's a
better place to seek recommendations, please let me know. I'm grateful
to anyone who can help. Thx.

You left off a zero.....

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

William Sommerwerck wrote:
And you want all this for $500? A pair?

I know to many (most) $500 per pair is "cheap." But instead of
criticizing, some recommendations of the best in this price range would
be welcome. I don't expect them to be perfect - or even near so. My
budget is $500, and the best I can get for that price is what I'm
looking for.

You "might" be able to find a beat up used pair of Mackie '824s.
Really, though, in that range nothing is truly uncolored.
The best you can hope for is fairly balanced response and hope
for an amount of low extension you can live with.

rd
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:24:11 -0400, Russ10 wrote:

Looking for some recommendations on powered studio monitors in the $350
- $500 (per pair) range. Should have an uncolored, flat response, be
reliable, and have an accurate, (extended) low frequency response (I'm a
bass player who plays a 5-string).

Big, low distortion speakers cost money, and room treatments to
allow you to hear them accurately cost money. Folks who charge
other folks money for their studio work spend some big-ish bucks
on just these two items, because they *have to* to do their work.

For a home studio, it seems to me that the first choices
should be your home stereo speakers and your *best* room. *Not*
usually, if ever, a spare bedroom renamed your studio. Instead,
your house's *best* room, often the biggest.

Peruse Ethan Winer's websites for good starting tips on room
treatments and speaker placement, use the speakers you already
have, the amplifier you already have, and spend your money on
some (homemade or store-bought, as suits your interest level)
acoustic treatment. It never goes out of style, and lasts!

Sit close for critical listening, and forget about toys. That's
my advice, FWIW.

All the best fortune,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Russ10 wrote:
Looking for some recommendations on powered studio monitors in the $350
- $500 (per pair) range. Should have an uncolored, flat response, be
reliable, and have an accurate, (extended) low frequency response (I'm a
bass player who plays a 5-string).

To give you an honest answer, getting recommendations for a monitor
isn't recommended. Everyone's taste is different, and in your price
range, monitors fall all over the map, but none really meet all of your
requirements. It's OK to buy a "checking the mix" monitor without
listening to it - because you want to listen on something you wouldn't
ordinarily be listening on when making critical mixing decisions - but
you should choose your primary monitors by hearing them yourself. This
may mean going further than around the corner, and not having every
monitor on the market available for listening, but you'll get a
realistic picture of what you can expect for the amount you are able to
pay.

Honestly, if it's not worth the effort and cost for you to go out and
listen to monitors, you're in the wrong business. Get an iPod and a set
of headphones and play your bass on live gigs.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Boris Lau Boris Lau is offline

Hi there,

Russ10 wrote:
And you want all this for $500? A pair?

I know to many (most) $500 per pair is "cheap." But instead of
criticizing, some recommendations of the best in this price range would
be welcome. I don't expect them to be perfect - or even near so. My
budget is $500, and the best I can get for that price is what I'm
looking for.

maybe you can do with the Fostex PM-2 MKII. I thought they have a nice
sound with good bass and bought them. Being at home, I found them to be
too noisy, and got the Genelec 8030APM instead. The PM-2 MKII might be
better now (less noise). But in any case, listen before buy...

Boris

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Russ10 wrote:

I know to many (most) $500 per pair is "cheap." But
instead of criticizing, some recommendations of the best
in this price range would be welcome. I don't expect
them to be perfect - or even near so. My budget is $500,
and the best I can get for that price is what I'm
looking for.

Back in the real world, how about a pair of Behringer B2031As?

How about a used pair of the NHT 3.3 home speakers, or
the Classic 4, or something in that family?

Looking at completed auctions on eBay, it looks like those would put Russ in
the $1,000+ range.

Add a used Adcom GFA-555 or similar power amp.

Another $400-500.

Yes, you can get some pretty nice stuff in the $1,000-2,000 range. But you
could also get some of the cheaper Genelecs for that price, right?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Russ10" wrote in message
net...
William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Russ10" wrote in message
net...

Looking for some recommendations on powered studio monitors
in the $350 -- $500 (per pair) range. Should have an uncolored,
flat response, be reliable, and have an accurate, (extended) low
frequency response (I'm a bass player who plays a 5-string).

And you want all this for $500? A pair?

I know to many (most) $500 per pair is "cheap." But instead of
criticizing, some recommendations of the best in this price range
would be welcome. I don't expect them to be perfect - or even near
so. My budget is $500, and the best I can get for that price is what
I'm looking for.

Flat response is highly desirable, but does not absolutely guarantee low
coloration. Similarly, "extended" bass is not necessarily accurate. (I don't
have the time to discuss these issues at length.) If "extended" bass means
"flat to 30Hz in the listening room", you're not likely to get it even for
$500 -- per speaker.

About a year ago, based on recommendations from this group, I bought a pair
of discontinued Mission speakers (for around $175 total) to set up a bedroom
system. They turned out to be really terrific speakers (I'm not easily
pleased), but they needed a bit of bass boost. (Fortunately, my bedroom
electronics has a good equalizer.)

In this price range, you're not likely to find a speaker that has both high
power-handling capacity and extended, accurate bass. I would suggest
listening to audiophile speakers priced at around $400 per pair.

Amplification? Buy something used, an Advent 300 receiver, perhaps. A good
dealer should have a shelf of used equipment you can audition.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
How about a used pair of the NHT 3.3 home speakers, or
the Classic 4, or something in that family?

Looking at completed auctions on eBay, it looks like those would put Russ in
the $1,000+ range.

Add a used Adcom GFA-555 or similar power amp.

Another $400-500.

Don't pay Ebay prices for this stuff. Home stereo gear for the most part
depreciates pretty quickly and so there are some good deals to be found
if you look around. Craigslist in a larger city is more apt to be useful.

Yes, you can get some pretty nice stuff in the $1,000-2,000 range. But you
could also get some of the cheaper Genelecs for that price, right?

There's a Paradigm Monitor 7 on Ebay right now at $305 with one day left,
and a demo pair of the 7v5 with a buy it now of $470. I can think of worse
systems to mix on.

The cheaper 8000-series Genelecs aren't bad at all in the midrange, but
they have no bass extension to speak of. The OP says that's important.

Note, of course, that the more bass extension the speaker system has, the
more careful you need to be with your room and room setup.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

How about a used pair of the NHT 3.3 home speakers, or
the Classic 4, or something in that family?

Looking at completed auctions on eBay, it looks like
those would put Russ in the $1,000+ range.

Add a used Adcom GFA-555 or similar power amp.

Another $400-500.

Don't pay Ebay prices for this stuff. Home stereo gear
for the most part depreciates pretty quickly and so there
are some good deals to be found
if you look around. Craigslist in a larger city is more
apt to be useful.

I tried that, Scott. Craig's list prices don't seem to be any better than
eBay. the selection seems to be far worse. I looked at NYC and LA and it was
not that better than Detroit.

It looks like NHT products hold their prices pretty well. When you're
talking speakers with a SRP $2K, lotsa luck.

Yes, you can get some pretty nice stuff in the
$1,000-2,000 range. But you could also get some of the
cheaper Genelecs for that price, right?

There's a Paradigm Monitor 7 on Ebay right now at $305

That looks like a heck of a deal right up to the 5.25 inch "woofers". Did
someone say something about bass? ;-)

with one day left, and a demo pair of the 7v5 with a buy
it now of $470.

Please see former comments about 5.25 inch woofers.

I can think of worse systems to mix on.

So can I, but...

The cheaper 8000-series Genelecs aren't bad at all in the
midrange, but they have no bass extension to speak of.
The OP says that's important.

Hence my notice of the 5.25 inch so-called woofers in the Paradigm Monitor
7s. Heck, even my NHT A10s had 6.5 inch woofers, and they were IMO maginal.

Note, of course, that the more bass extension the speaker
system has, the more careful you need to be with your
room and room setup.

Agreed.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , Russ10 wrote:
Looking for some recommendations on powered studio monitors in the $350
- $500 (per pair) range. Should have an uncolored, flat response, be
reliable, and have an accurate, (extended) low frequency response (I'm a
bass player who plays a 5-string). As well as recommendations, I'd
welcome info on any monitors to avoid (ex: I've heard the Alesis M1
Active Mk II's have had a power supply problem?) Also - If there's a
better place to seek recommendations, please let me know. I'm grateful
to anyone who can help. Thx.

I don't know how these sound, but they have some bass.
You also have to get the other side and amp......

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/58-12545

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"GregS" wrote in message

In article
,
Russ10 wrote:

Looking for some recommendations on powered studio
monitors in the $350 - $500 (per pair) range. Should
have an uncolored, flat response, be reliable, and have
an accurate, (extended) low frequency response (I'm a
bass player who plays a 5-string). As well as
recommendations, I'd welcome info on any monitors to
avoid (ex: I've heard the Alesis M1 Active Mk II's have
had a power supply problem?) Also - If there's a better
place to seek recommendations, please let me know. I'm
grateful to anyone who can help. Thx.

I don't know how these sound, but they have some bass.
You also have to get the other side and amp......

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/58-12545

Actually very interesting.

Sort of like cheaped-down NHT 2.5i s, a pair of which I own.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
drichard drichard is offline

Hi Russ,

You'll probably want to audition monitors before you buy them anyway.
And while many posters might be correct when they have said you can't
find truly accurate monitors in that price range, there are some
models that might be very serviceable for your needs. I'm sure you'll
hear good and bad things about any of the ones I'll mention.

Some to check out:
KRK Rokit RP8G2
Mackie MR8
Behringer Truth
Event TR8

I think M-Audio has some models in that price range as well. I have a
pair of the Event TR8's. Some people here don't seem to like them, but
they work OK for me.

Good luck,

Dean

On Oct 16, 8:24*pm, Russ10 wrote:
Looking for some recommendations on powered studio monitors in the $350
- $500 (per pair) range. Should have an uncolored, flat response, be
reliable, and have an accurate, (extended) low frequency response (I'm a
bass player who plays a 5-string). As well as recommendations, I'd
welcome info on any monitors to avoid (ex: I've heard the Alesis M1
Active Mk II's have had a power supply problem?) Also - If there's a
better place to seek recommendations, please let me know. I'm grateful
to anyone who can help. Thx.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Oct 16, 8:24*pm, Russ10 wrote:
Looking for some recommendations on powered studio monitors in the $350
- $500 (per pair) range. Should have an uncolored, flat response, be
reliable, and have an accurate, (extended) low frequency response (I'm a
bass player who plays a 5-string). As well as recommendations, I'd
welcome info on any monitors to avoid (ex: I've heard the Alesis M1
Active Mk II's have had a power supply problem?) Also - If there's a
better place to seek recommendations, please let me know. I'm grateful
to anyone who can help. Thx.

If you can find a set of used Event ASP8 monitors for around that price
they would fit your needs very well.
They have good low end, smooth mids (some say too smooth) and a nice light
top end.

They make a passive model as well which might be in your range.
Or maybe the ASP6 which is a smaller version.

Note, these are way different sounding than the TR or 20/20 series.
Much better IMHO.

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
Please Visit www.linsux.org
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Russ10 Russ10 is offline

Just a note of thanks to all who gave useful advice. I'll take note of
all the suggestions (keep 'm coming if there are any other comments!).
Much appreciated!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

On Oct 17, 7:07*pm, Russ10 wrote:
Just a note of thanks to all who gave useful advice. I'll take note of
all the suggestions (keep 'm coming if there are any other comments!).
Much appreciated!

Audition two sets of speakers at once.Set up a switch or better yet,
an additional amplifier to make transitions between the sets. If using
an additional amplifier, be sure to match the levels exactly or you
will prefer the louder set whether or not it sounds better. Start
with what you have and what you are auditioning. Find the strengths
and weaknesses of each.
Just listening to one set won't tell you much because listening
memory isn't very long.

I would suggest getting the following record from Chesky. It has their
LERD listening test on it and will really open your eyes to which
speakers and room conditions affect your monitoring.

http://www.amazon.com/Chesky-Records.../dp/B000003GF3
Posted to rec.audio.pro
daph daph is offline

With about similar requests to monitoring as the OP I'm on to buy an
old pair of KEF Duet, nicely refurbished. I have to add though, in a
not-so-pro environment inside a tiny little caravan, so rather near
field...
The retired engineer offering these and doing some s/h trade and
speaker tuning gave me the following listening hint for checking
monitors on coloration: record the voice of your loved one(s), play
back with different speakers of choice. If you're on to heart-
breakingly shout "Oh, Penelope!" (or whoever), "where have you been!",
well then....
I was both amused and impressed of this smart trick.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

daph wrote:
With about similar requests to monitoring as the OP I'm on to buy an
old pair of KEF Duet, nicely refurbished. I have to add though, in a
not-so-pro environment inside a tiny little caravan, so rather near
field...

I used LS 3/5a for this for years, and then AR 4-Xes. The Duet might
be a good choice.

The retired engineer offering these and doing some s/h trade and
speaker tuning gave me the following listening hint for checking
monitors on coloration: record the voice of your loved one(s), play
back with different speakers of choice. If you're on to heart-
breakingly shout "Oh, Penelope!" (or whoever), "where have you been!",
well then....

If it can't reproduce a voice well, it can't reproduce anything well,
and a loved one's voice is probably one you're very familiar with.
Personally I use a recording of Chris Connors, whom I have never met,
but whose recording I've been listening to for a few decades now.

I was both amused and impressed of this smart trick.

It's a good one, I like it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
daph daph is offline

On 19 Okt., 19:45, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
daph wrote:
With about similar requests to monitoring as the OP I'm on to buy an
old pair of KEF Duet, nicely refurbished. I have to add though, in a
not-so-pro environment inside a tiny little caravan, so rather near
field...

Addendum for the log:
This particular Kef Duet (a Kit version) no good, despite charming and
myth-laden. Boomy. Chose a self designed threeway bookshelf with
custom network of this very engineer instead. His recommendation, not
mine. After testing on site: came off *very* well.

david
Posted to rec.audio.pro

daph wrote:
Addendum for the log:
This particular Kef Duet (a Kit version) no good, despite charming and
myth-laden. Boomy. Chose a self designed threeway bookshelf with
custom network of this very engineer instead. His recommendation, not
mine. After testing on site: came off *very* well.

Weird. Had anything been done to the Duet to make it that way?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
daph daph is offline

Actually no one knows. These were built 30-40 yrs. ago and needed to
be disassembled. Tweeter by the way has been one of the first dome
designs (metal), I'm being told. Got JBL L99 of similar vintage, so am
basically not too worried bout manufactoring and design quality of
these years. But alas, couldn't open up yet another road works ahead.
Feel a bit guilty of course, since I, well, liked these funny guys...
They're given away for 220 EUR "fob", if anyone likes to give 'em a
good home. PM.

david
Posted to rec.audio.pro

daph wrote:

Actually no one knows. These were built 30-40 yrs. ago and needed to
be disassembled. Tweeter by the way has been one of the first dome
designs (metal), I'm being told. Got JBL L99 of similar vintage, so am
basically not too worried bout manufactoring and design quality of
these years. But alas, couldn't open up yet another road works ahead.
Feel a bit guilty of course, since I, well, liked these funny guys...
They're given away for 220 EUR "fob", if anyone likes to give 'em a
good home. PM.

Where on the surface of this here planet are you?

david

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
daph daph is offline

On 1 Nov., 18:59, "Peter Larsen" wrote:
daph wrote:
Actually no one knows. These were built 30-40 yrs. ago and needed to
be disassembled. Tweeter by the way has been one of the first dome
designs (metal), I'm being told. Got JBL L99 of similar vintage, so am
basically not too worried bout manufactoring and design quality of
these years. But alas, couldn't open up yet another road works ahead.
Feel a bit guilty of course, since I, well, liked these funny guys...
They're given away for 220 EUR *"fob", if anyone likes to give 'em a
good home. PM.

Where on the surface of this here planet are you?

david

* Kind regards

* Peter Larsen

Freiburg, bottom left corner of GER
Posted to rec.audio.pro

daph wrote:

[pair lancer 99 @EUR 220]

Where on the surface of this here planet are you?

david

Peter Larsen

Freiburg, bottom left corner of GER

So we're talking at least another EUR 100 in freight, I dare not do this
right now, I know that my current daytime job will end at the end of this
year.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
daph daph is offline

On 2 Nov., 09:40, "Peter Larsen" wrote:
daph wrote:

[pair lancer 99 @EUR 220]

Actually, no. I was referring to the KEF Duets for sale @ 220EUR,
refer precedent post.
I don't ever part with my trusty JBL.

david

Posted to rec.audio.pro

daph wrote:

[pair lancer 99 @EUR 220]

Actually, no. I was referring to the KEF Duets for sale @ 220EUR,
refer precedent post.

Thank you, it hurts a lot less not to be able to easily find the funds in
the budget now.

I don't ever part with my trusty JBL.

I read it to be about the JBL's ....

david

kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
daph daph is offline

daph wrote:
[pair lancer 99 @EUR 220]

Actually, no. I was referring to the KEF Duets for sale @ 220EUR,
refer precedent post.

Thank you, it hurts a lot less not to be able to easily find the funds in
the budget now.

I don't ever part with my trusty JBL.

I read it to be about the JBL's ....

david

* kind regards

* Peter Larsen

Sorry for that. Misunderstandably in hindsight, true.
But, patience. I'm sure there's plenty of known or lesser known gems
around (epay or neighbourhood...) , although old jbl's are offered for
way too much blé imho. Not being in a hurry is a good precondition for
some reasons...

regards
david
Posted to rec.audio.pro
nebulax nebulax is offline

On Oct 16, 8:24*pm, Russ10 wrote:
Looking for some recommendations on powered studio monitors in the $350
- $500 (per pair) range. Should have an uncolored, flat response, be
reliable, and have an accurate, (extended) low frequency response (I'm a
bass player who plays a 5-string). As well as recommendations, I'd
welcome info on any monitors to avoid (ex: I've heard the Alesis M1
Active Mk II's have had a power supply problem?) Also - If there's a
better place to seek recommendations, please let me know. I'm grateful
to anyone who can help. Thx.

If it's low-end you're after, maybe you could find an old pair of JBL
4311's, and hook them up to a decent used studio-friendly amp, like a
Hafler or a Bryston. Those speakers haven't been in vogue for mixing
in some time, but they were all the rage in the '70's.

-Neb