Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ludwig77 Ludwig77 is offline

Default Mid frequencies in Ty Tabor (King's X) sound

Although most people covet Ty's early guitar sounds, my favorite tones
of his are from the Dogman and Ear Candy albums (two different tones
BTW) as well as his later solo stuff (Rock Garden in particular).

What I'm hearing is a high gain tone but with great mids that make the
tone sound more complex.

Any tips on what frequencies to boost? For instance, when someone buys
a guitar with a mid boost, what are the typical mid frequencies being
boosted?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Ludwig77 wrote:
Although most people covet Ty's early guitar sounds, my favorite tones
of his are from the Dogman and Ear Candy albums (two different tones
BTW) as well as his later solo stuff (Rock Garden in particular).

What I'm hearing is a high gain tone but with great mids that make the
tone sound more complex.

Try a 635A on the cabinet.

Any tips on what frequencies to boost? For instance, when someone buys
a guitar with a mid boost, what are the typical mid frequencies being
boosted?

What's happening isn't boosting, it's cutting. It's almost certainly the
top and bottom being rolled off, AND the midrange being very flat without
any big presence boost. That's in the mike.