graybags

Default Quad fan looking elsewhere for Amp/Pre-Amp

My dad has bought Quad gear for 35 years &, as I'm very fond of the old
man, I'm also very fond of Quad. However, I'm wondering what I should
do as one of my kids recently obliterated my 306 amp & I guess it's
time to upgrade. I quite like the look of Arcam P1s & C30/31 pre-amp
but it's obviously quite a lot more expensive than a 909 amp and 99
pre-amp.

What do you think ? Worth the extra ? Am I an idiot ? Is there
something else I should be looking at altogether ? I guess 2 P1s and a
pre-amp will cost GBP 3k - 4k which is my limit for now.

If you can help, thanks.

p.s. I have B&W CM4 speakers.

--
graybags
Andrew Haley

graybags writes:
My dad has bought Quad gear for 35 years &, as I'm very fond of the old
man, I'm also very fond of Quad. However, I'm wondering what I should
do as one of my kids recently obliterated my 306 amp & I guess it's
time to upgrade. I quite like the look of Arcam P1s & C30/31 pre-amp
but it's obviously quite a lot more expensive than a 909 amp and 99
pre-amp.

What do you think ? Worth the extra ? Am I an idiot ? Is there
something else I should be looking at altogether ? I guess 2 P1s and a
pre-amp will cost GBP 3k - 4k which is my limit for now.

Much as I love Arcam -- I've been a very happy customer of theirs --
I'd also look at the Bryston B100 SST.

Andrew.

"graybags" wrote in message
My dad has bought Quad gear for 35 years &, as I'm very fond of the old
man, I'm also very fond of Quad. However, I'm wondering what I should
do as one of my kids recently obliterated my 306 amp & I guess it's
time to upgrade. I quite like the look of Arcam P1s & C30/31 pre-amp
but it's obviously quite a lot more expensive than a 909 amp and 99
pre-amp.

What do you think ? Worth the extra ? Am I an idiot ? Is there
something else I should be looking at altogether ? I guess 2 P1s and a
pre-amp will cost GBP 3k - 4k which is my limit for now.

If you can help, thanks.

p.s. I have B&W CM4 speakers.

If the preamp is still working, keep it, unless there are functions that you
don't have and want to add.

For an amplifer replacement, I'd suggest the following:
http://www.usspeaker.com/crown%20k%20series-1.htm
more data he http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/136713.pdf

Possibly one of the best bargains in amplifiers available.
Tom Alaerts

On 2005-08-17 01:30:04 +0200, graybags said:

My dad has bought Quad gear for 35 years &, as I'm very fond of the old
man, I'm also very fond of Quad. However, I'm wondering what I should
do as one of my kids recently obliterated my 306 amp & I guess it's
time to upgrade. I quite like the look of Arcam P1s & C30/31 pre-amp
but it's obviously quite a lot more expensive than a 909 amp and 99
pre-amp.

What do you think ? Worth the extra ? Am I an idiot ? Is there
something else I should be looking at altogether ? I guess 2 P1s and a
pre-amp will cost GBP 3k - 4k which is my limit for now.

If you can help, thanks.

The Quad 909 is one of the great bargains in serious audio. It is
buiilt like a rock and sounds effortlessly smooth. Will other more
expensive amps be better? Possibly, sometimes, if you can do quick A-B
comparisons. Anyway: the Quad is a good choice. Think also about this:
with the difference in price you can buy a big pile of cds...

Be sure to replace the preamp: I love old Quad preamps, I have a 44
myself, but after so much use these old preamps are now not very
transparent sounding. A nice sound, without fatigue, but you will
discover remarkable details when upgrading to a modern pre amp. The 99
is fine. Possibly think about Quad's combination of CD-player and
preamp.

Personally I always thought a Quad as a brand that is difficult to
greatly improve upon without spending a lot more. A bit like Highland
Park whiskey: you don't notice how good it is until you try to find
something better... Considering expensive amps, well I do love
McIntosh, they sound effortlessly smooth and musical. And the looks.
And the touch. But look at the price difference. Again, I prefer to
extend my CD collection instead. Your priorities may be different of
course.

I hope this helps.

Tom