notreal

Default Off topic: Please help... TV problem....sound related...

You guys know alot about electronics...and sound.... so any ideas on
how to help me?

This is gonna be hard to explain....but does anyone know what causes
some TV's to make that mega high pitch tone? Kinda similiar to
flourscent lights.....but MUCH MUCH more high pitch?

Is there a way to fix that? drives me nuts

thanks

Scott Gardner

notreal wrote:

You guys know alot about electronics...and sound.... so any ideas on
how to help me?

This is gonna be hard to explain....but does anyone know what causes
some TV's to make that mega high pitch tone? Kinda similiar to
flourscent lights.....but MUCH MUCH more high pitch?

Is there a way to fix that? drives me nuts

thanks

That sound (usually around 18-22 kHz) comes from the high voltage flyback
transformer. If your TV just started making the noise, then perhaps you
could take it to a TV repair shop and have everything checked/calibrated.
If the TV has always made the noise, you may need to start shopping for a
different brand/model of TV. If the repairman suggests replacing the FB
transformer, get a quote that includes parts and labor, and decide if it's
worth it. Oftentimes, replacing the FB transformer can approach the cost
of a new TV set.

Scott Gardner