Brian Bower

Default Tubes V's Semiconductors in Military.

If a nuclear bomb was dropped on the USA or if we have a War in the
World with Bombs that can disrubt the Magnetic Field in an area they
explode then all Computer's , Semiconductors and transistors will be
usesless. Here are some thoughts.
1.) Since Semiconductors will be destroyed if there is to much radiation
/ or magnetic field will the Goverment go back to making Tubes and Tube
devices in order for our military to function. Some Tubes are too bulky
but if a whole new line of Nuvistor Tubes were to be designed we might
be able to survive more in a war or in a terrorist society. ???
2.) Military Aircraft need computers to help fly them. Would it be
possible to build a Nuvsistor type computer system to be used in planes
incase of a war . ????
3.) IF the Goverment wanted to go back to making tubes again - Does RCA,
Sylvania, GE have the old Tube Tools to make these tubes again ???.
4.) If say RCA, Sylvania, GE have lost the designs and tools to make
tubes again do you think that the millitary may ask the public say they
were to buy our left over tubes to dysect and use as a blueprint to
build a new generation of tubes that can be used in a Nuclear type war.
???
I would be a rich man. i have alot of tubes still....hahaha...
I think is an idea that the US Goverment should think about !!!. What
do you all think about this ???.
Brian
Las Vegas, NV

Mr TUBEAMPS

can you explain this nuvistor tube, how big is it, what
voltage it can use etc.
and yeh tubes not efected.
i will still have a working hifi.

john

"Brian Bower" wrote in message
[...]

Gregg

Behold, Brian Bower signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

1.) Since Semiconductors will be destroyed if there is to much radiation
/ or magnetic field will the Goverment go back to making Tubes and Tube
devices in order for our military to function. Some Tubes are too bulky
but if a whole new line of Nuvistor Tubes were to be designed we might
be able to survive more in a war or in a terrorist society. ???

There will be no governments. He who has the most guns, will rule. I
don't think they'll care poop-one about tubes.

2.) Military Aircraft need computers to help fly them. Would it be possible
to build a Nuvsistor type computer system to be used in planes incase of
a war . ????

Any surviving military aircraft will be converted to biplane-like
controls. Not good for mach, but flyable.

3.) IF the Goverment wanted to go back to making tubes again - Does RCA,
Sylvania, GE have the old Tube Tools to make these tubes again ???.

Anyone from those companies that knew anything about tubes, is probably
already dead. So, not likely.

4.) If say RCA, Sylvania, GE have lost the designs and tools to make tubes
again do you think that the millitary may ask the public say they were
to buy our left over tubes to dysect and use as a blueprint to build a
new generation of tubes that can be used in a Nuclear type war. ??? I
would be a rich man. i have alot of tubes still....hahaha... I think is
an idea that the US Goverment should think about !!!. What do you all
think about this ???.

And the circle of stupidity starts again.

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Lord Valve

It would take a whole *****load* of 'em to do what you're talking about.

or if we have a War in the
World with Bombs that can disrubt the Magnetic Field in an area

It's not that they disrupt "the Magnetic Field."

(I assume you mean the Earth's magnetic field.) It's that they
create a very intense one of their own when detonated. "EMP"
is what it's called - "Electro-Magnetic Pulse."

they explode then all Computer's , Semiconductors and transistors will be
usesless.

Only in a limited area around the nuclear detonation.

There is some conjecture that a bomb tweaked for very high
EMP output could be detonated in orbit, producing a pulse intense
enough to destroy or cripple SS electronic devices over a large
portion of a continent. No way to test this without actually detonating
one, though.

Here are some thoughts.
1.) Since Semiconductors will be destroyed if there is to much radiation
/ or magnetic field will the Goverment go back to making Tubes and Tube
devices in order for our military to function.

Probably not.

However - there are redundant military comm systems in place to this
day which are tube-based, with battery backup or local power generation
capability. Military SS electronics, at least the mission critical systems,

are rad-hard (radiation hardened) as a matter of routine nowadays.
Consumer electronics will bite the dust in a matter of microseconds,
however. Everything from your phone to your car (unless it's an old
clunker with no SS ignition parts) will just stop working.

Some Tubes are too bulky
but if a whole new line of Nuvistor Tubes were to be designed we might
be able to survive more in a war or in a terrorist society. ???

It would be more likely that old stocks would be found...

or guys like me would be ordered to sell or give our NOS
(and new) stocks to the DOD if they needed them for
something. I don't know why they would, because tubes
themselves are useless unless there is equipment which
is designed to use them. Since production facilities
for SS devices are plentiful, more would be made.
Bootstrapping production would be difficult, but would
doubltless be accomplished using "seed" devices
which survived the EMP strikes - "accidental" Faraday
cages will exist, not every IC will fry. And I'm sure there
are a *****load* of spares socked away in rad-hard
hidey-holes.

2.) Military Aircraft need computers to help fly them. Would it be
possible to build a Nuvsistor type computer system to be used in planes
incase of a war . ????

Do you know anything about the systems in a modern jet fighter?

Enough tubes to duplicate the onboard electronics for an F-16
would probably weigh more than the plane!

3.) IF the Goverment wanted to go back to making tubes again - Does RCA,
Sylvania, GE have the old Tube Tools to make these tubes again ???.

Nope. All gone, or nearly so. Making tubes is a third-world enterprise
now.

Tubes today occupy a position exactly analagous to steam power.
Steam was once the primary motive force for all enterprise;
now, it's relegated to hobbyists and huge industrial processes
like electrical power generation or heating skyscrapers.
The large middle between those two extremes has been
completely filled by electricity for stationary power needs, and
petroleum engines for mobile applications. Tubes are now used
by guitar players and audiophiles, and in multi-thousand-watt
RF amplifiers/transmitters. Everything in the middle is transistorized.

4.) If say RCA, Sylvania, GE have lost the designs and tools to make
tubes again do you think that the millitary may ask the public say they
were to buy our left over tubes to dysect and use as a blueprint to
build a new generation of tubes that can be used in a Nuclear type war.
???

See above.

I would be a rich man. i have alot of tubes still....hahaha...
I think is an idea that the US Goverment should think about !!!. What
do you all think about this ???.

Not likely.

As far as I know, you can't detonate a nuke without a tube in
the firing circuitry somewhere. Klystron? Something like
that.

I do know this, however - I have a Hammond organ (B-3)
and two model 122 Leslies. If an EMP knocked out all
the consumer gear, I'd still be able to jam. I would,
however, have to jury-rig a tube rectifier system for the
Leslies, since they have SS diodes in the HV supply.

But I have *lots* of tubes. Jamming would probably be
the least of my worries, though.

I have plenty of guns and ammo, too. See ya at the
Safeway. ;-)

Lord Valve
American

John Walton

Russian (errrhh, Soviet) military aircraft were using a lot of tubes into
the 1980's.

A curiosity in my collection: some JG-5751s by General Electric,
packed in May 1963. On the boxes are printed a little 3-leaf radiation
symbol, followed by the number 0.00001.

I'm guessing these tubes were hardened against gamma radiation, by
reducing the atmosphere in the bulb to an extra-small value indicated by
the number.

Any info, lore?

Steve O'Neill

Hi:

You wrote:

snip

I do know this, however - I have a Hammond organ (B-3)
and two model 122 Leslies. If an EMP knocked out all
the consumer gear, I'd still be able to jam. I would,
however, have to jury-rig a tube rectifier system for the
Leslies, since they have SS diodes in the HV supply.

You'd probably need a generator too since an EMP event big enough to "knock
out all consumer gear" would also be big enough to take out major portions
of the power distribution grid over large areas. We saw how fragile the
grid was (and probably still is) about a year ago.

As you note, jammin on the Hammond would probably be low on the list of
priorities.

--
Steve

Tim Williams

wrote in message
... followed by the number 0.00001.

I'm guessing these tubes were hardened against gamma radiation, by
reducing the atmosphere in the bulb to an extra-small value indicated by
the number.

The vacuum in a normal tube would be a few orders of magnitude lower than
that, in torr. I don't know what gamma would do to a tube, however.
Probably just make it noisy, although you won't be hearing bonked subatomic
particles over the natural shot and thermal noise so, whatever.

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson

Brian Bower

See - This is an Interesting Topic.
Also note for Airplanes to fly in a EMC War that a small crude but
functional Nuvistor Tube Computer could be made to control the Fighter
Plane. I wonder if our Goverment has thought about this ???.
Note - New Nuvistor Tube Designs would have to be made for this small
crude but functional computer to operate !!!.

Brian - Las Vegas, NV

Jon Yaeger

I wanna know where I can buy some of that stuff you been smokin'

;-)

in article , Brian Bower at
wrote on 7/13/04 1:13 AM:

[...]

Robert Casey

Brian Bower wrote:
If a nuclear bomb was dropped on the USA or if we have a War in the
World with Bombs

Cold War's over. Sure, terrorists could cause a big mess in
some city, but they couldn't trash the whole country.

4 more months, not 4 more years!

Gregg

Behold, Jon Yaeger signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

I wanna know where I can buy some of that stuff you been smokin'

;-)

Come to my home in British Columbia mannnnnnnnnnn ;-)

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
Gregg

Behold, Robert Casey signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

4 more months, not 4 more years!

I got $50 on John Kerry (I'm a Canuck, can't vote for him....)

;-)

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
Captain Crane

Note : I have Heard from Engineers from the Company I worked for Nasa
that a Soviet Pilot Defected from russia and the USA obtained the
Russian Plane and took it apart. What they found was this high tech
plane used Tube Types of Equipment to fly the plane and also Air Vacumn
tubes that would also control the plane - similar what is found in older
cars that use vacumn controls to control air conditioning heat and even
the windshield wipers. The Russians Knew that EMP's would kill their
Electronics so they Designed Equipment incase of a Nuclear War. To the
People here who think that what i say is Crazy - Think again !!!. It
make's alot of sense. Laugh and make jokes if you want to.
But Remeber - This is America and we must protect our freedom by doing
new things and thinking ahead for the future of america - there are
Flaws in America Today and our country and its people need to stand up
and make changes. To Protect us now and Future Generations of people in
America
USA is Number 1 in the World !!!!!

Captain Crane

Note : Captain Crane's Last message is from Brian Bower i have another
webtv account.
Brian Bower - Las Vegas
also if you have somthing stupid to say that i said im Brian Bower that
wrote that last message about the russian plane using tubes. Who cares
what you think about me and your childish remarks. Grow up liitle boys
and Girls.

Jon Yaeger

Yeah, but a hoser's $50 ain't fifty REAL dollars on this side of the line .
.. . .

- J

in article Ny4Jc.43644$Rf.15281@edtnps84, Gregg at wrote
on 7/14/04 2:39 AM:

Behold, Robert Casey signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

4 more months, not 4 more years!

I got $50 on John Kerry (I'm a Canuck, can't vote for him....)

;-)

Tim Williams

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
Yeah, but a hoser's $50 ain't fifty REAL dollars on this side of the
line....

Good thing too. Kerry is a 100% dumbass.

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson

Fred Gilham

Captain Crane
Note : I have Heard from Engineers from the Company I worked for
Nasa that a Soviet Pilot Defected from russia and the USA obtained
the Russian Plane and took it apart. What they found was this high
tech plane used Tube Types of Equipment to fly the plane and also
Air Vacumn tubes that would also control the plane - similar what is
found in older cars that use vacumn controls to control air
conditioning heat and even the windshield wipers.

The plane this post is talking about was the Mig-25. It was a
"Mach-3" plane that had the US scared for a while until they got hold
of one. They found that it was an interceptor, not a fighter (heavy
and poor maneuverability). It could also not maintain its Mach-3
speed because it would over-stress its engines. It was mostly used
for reconnaissance (as was the US's Mach-3 plane, the SR-72). It was
not a fly-by-wire plane and the vacuum tubes were not used to control
the plane (at least not in the sense of fly-by-wire). They were used
as part of a very powerful radar that could penetrate jamming. Since
the plane was so heavy, it didn't matter as much that it used vacuum
tubes. The technology was described as "surprisingly capable" if I
remember correctly.

This is in contrast to something like the F16, which is a fly-by-wire
plane. It was designed to be deliberately unstable so that it would
be extremely maneuverable. The plane is so unstable that a human
pilot cannot fly it. A computer control system is necessary. The
human pilot activates a pressure-sensitive joystick on the side.
That's to make it easier to deal with high G forces. The pilot just
rests his hand on the armrest and manipulates the control joystick
instead of having a control stick in front of him like most planes.
The F16 is called the "electric jet" because of this fly-by-wire
feature. A computer made with vacuum tubes would be too heavy to
control this plane.

--
Fred Gilham
All languages have Lisp syntax, of course, except that so many of them
Kim Johan Andersson

Fred Gilham wrote:

The plane this post is talking about was the Mig-25. It was a
"Mach-3" plane that had the US scared for a while until they got hold
of one. They found that it was an interceptor, not a fighter (heavy
and poor maneuverability). It could also not maintain its Mach-3
speed because it would over-stress its engines.

A little googling on the subject reveals that the speed was limited by
'controllability problems', though the engines would blow at March 3.2...

It was mostly used
for reconnaissance (as was the US's Mach-3 plane, the SR-72). It was
not a fly-by-wire plane and the vacuum tubes were not used to control
the plane (at least not in the sense of fly-by-wire). They were used
as part of a very powerful radar that could penetrate jamming. Since
the plane was so heavy, it didn't matter as much that it used vacuum
tubes.

It came in a special radar version, as well as numerous other variants.

The technology was described as "surprisingly capable" if I
remember correctly.

I think it an example of excellent engineering (considering the crude
construction), describes as 'lacking refinement' but still capable of some
records:

(from http://www.spaceadventures.com/steps/edge)

Breaking Records:

In September 1967, a MiG-25 set a world speed record at 1,853.61 miles per
hour (2,982 kph). It stood for more than a decade, until broken by an
American SR-71 Blackbird in July 1976. It reached 2,016 mph (3,244 kph).
On July 25, 1973, a Ye-266, using the same airframe as the MiG-25 but
equipped with more powerful engines, set the world’s absolute altitude
record for a ground-launched air-breathing aircraft, reaching 118,867 ft.
(36,230 m). On August 31, 1977, the record was broken by a modified MiG-25
(E-266M) and taken to 123,524 ft. (37,650 m).

Pretty good for a handwelded steel-hulled jet with tubed avionics, eh? 8)
But it does seem it had its share of problems and limitations.

This is in contrast to something like the F16, which is a fly-by-wire
plane. It was designed to be deliberately unstable so that it would
be extremely maneuverable.

The MiG-25 is a high altitude interceptor, it wasn't build for
maneuverability. Seems like it was developed to counter the US B-70 bomber
(which was cancelled.) It does seem that NATO overrated the MiG-25 by a
large margin...

Regards,
Kimjand

Gregg

Behold, Tim Williams signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
Yeah, but a hoser's $50 ain't fifty REAL dollars on this side of the
line....

Good thing too. Kerry is a 100% dumbass.

Yeah, but we like you :-p

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
Gregg

Behold, Jon Yaeger signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Yeah, but a hoser's $50 ain't fifty REAL dollars on this side of the
line . . . .

Like, it's worth $25.50, eh? ;-)

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca

ptaylor

Tim Williams wrote:
"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message

Yeah, but a hoser's $50 ain't fifty REAL dollars on this side of the
line....

Good thing too. Kerry is a 100% dumbass.

And Bush is 120% Fu#&@'n Idiot.. :-p

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson

Trevor Wilson

"Brian Bower" wrote in message
If a nuclear bomb was dropped on the USA or if we have a War in the
World with Bombs that can disrubt the Magnetic Field in an area they
explode then all Computer's , Semiconductors and transistors will be
usesless. Here are some thoughts.
1.) Since Semiconductors will be destroyed if there is to much radiation
/ or magnetic field will the Goverment go back to making Tubes and Tube
devices in order for our military to function. Some Tubes are too bulky
but if a whole new line of Nuvistor Tubes were to be designed we might
be able to survive more in a war or in a terrorist society. ???

**Nonsense, on so many levels. Nuclear weapons create and EMP (Electro
Magnetic Pulse) which *may* damage some semiconductors. If those semis are
isolated within a Faraday Shield (ooh, say, like a computer case) they will
probably survive. Particularly, if they are not actually being used.

2.) Military Aircraft need computers to help fly them. Would it be
possible to build a Nuvsistor type computer system to be used in planes
incase of a war . ????

**Modern war craft employ 'hardened' elecytronics systems, which are pretty
much impervious to EMP. It has been that way for many years.

3.) IF the Goverment wanted to go back to making tubes again - Does RCA,
Sylvania, GE have the old Tube Tools to make these tubes again ???.

**Not likely.

4.) If say RCA, Sylvania, GE have lost the designs and tools to make
tubes again do you think that the millitary may ask the public say they
were to buy our left over tubes to dysect and use as a blueprint to
build a new generation of tubes that can be used in a Nuclear type war.
???

**Not necessary. Tubes are finished. The only use for tubes, in in musical
instrument amplification and an insignificant number of domestic audio
devices.

I would be a rich man. i have alot of tubes still....hahaha...
I think is an idea that the US Goverment should think about !!!. What
do you all think about this ???.

**I think you should go and have a nice lie down.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Don

Good thing too. Kerry is a 100% dumbass.

Tim

I think you misunderestimate Kerry.

Tim Williams

"Don" wrote in message
I think you misunderestimate Kerry.

And how many times has he changed his opionions on...everything? 5 times
per? LOL

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson

Gregg

"Don" wrote in message
I think you misunderestimate Kerry.

And how many times has he changed his opionions on...everything? 5
times per? LOL

Tim

Our politicians do more than that in a day! This is a problem in the US?

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca

Fred Gilham

It has a peculiar performance enveloppe but still is one of th best
high speed interceptors. Even Iraqis used them to pretty good effect
during GW1, splashing down an F-18C on the frist day of the
invasion, engaging other fichters or reco planes with quite poor
results because of their inferior ammo, and not suffering a single
casualty: they evaded all US interceptors and *outran* all Sparrows
as well as all Sidewinders launched at them.

I remember watching a TV display during the first Gulf war of what
they *said* was shooting down a Mig-25. They remarked about how they
were particularly proud of this. Of course this is from memory, but
it did make an impression on me because of the mention of the Mig-25.

--
Fred Gilham
Early in our marriage, 40-some years ago, Mrs. Williams would return
Don

In article , says...

"Don" wrote in message
I think you misunderestimate Kerry.

And how many times has he changed his opionions on...everything? 5 times
per? LOL

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson
Website @
http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms

" A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little
statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Emerson

Unlike Cheney, who still claims WMDs are in Iraq.
I think changing your mind, upon reflection, or possible new data, is a sign
of wisdom. Just which "flip-flop" of Kerry's do you have a problem with? Or
are you parroting the radical right's talking point on Kerry?

Back to the original thread- don't hoard tubes in anticipation of a nuclear
war; I think a stash of cigarettes would be more profitable.

Captain Crane

BUSH IS DIS- HONEST AN TRUELY AN ASSHOLE. HE IS GREEDY AND OUT FOR
HIMSELF. ALSO THE SAME WITH CHANNEY - BOTH ASSHOLES. I USED TO LOVE
PRESIDENT BUSH. I HAD GREAT RESPECT FOR HIM AND FOR RUNNING AND
MANAGING THE USA. BUT AFTER SEEING THIS FILM I WILL NOT VOTE REPUBLICAN
- AGAIN. I MAY NOT EVEN VOTE AS KERRY IS AN ASSHOLE RICH SON-OF-A-BITCH
TOO. SEE THE MOVIE....WATCH THE MOVIE. THE USA IS IN GRAVE DANGER...
THE FACTS ARE TRUE IN THE MOVIE !!!!
CHECK THE FACTS OUT YOURSELF BY LOOKING AT OLD NEWSPAPERS ON THE
INTERNET... VERIFY THE FACTS.....
BRIAN

Lord Valve

Captain Crane wrote:

BUSH IS DIS- HONEST AN TRUELY AN ASSHOLE. HE IS GREEDY AND OUT FOR
HIMSELF. ALSO THE SAME WITH CHANNEY - BOTH ASSHOLES. I USED TO LOVE
PRESIDENT BUSH. I HAD GREAT RESPECT FOR HIM AND FOR RUNNING AND
MANAGING THE USA. BUT AFTER SEEING THIS FILM I WILL NOT VOTE REPUBLICAN
- AGAIN. I MAY NOT EVEN VOTE AS KERRY IS AN ASSHOLE RICH SON-OF-A-BITCH
TOO. SEE THE MOVIE....WATCH THE MOVIE. THE USA IS IN GRAVE DANGER...
THE FACTS ARE TRUE IN THE MOVIE !!!!
CHECK THE FACTS OUT YOURSELF BY LOOKING AT OLD NEWSPAPERS ON THE
INTERNET... VERIFY THE FACTS.....
BRIAN

Um...

....there *ain't* no facts in that crockumentary, sonny,
it's just Moore's way of jacking off in public. Sucker bait.

And now, Moore has ten of the dollars that used to live
in *your* pocket.

Sucker.

Lord Valve
Arrogant Rightwing *******

Steve O'Neill

Hi:

Um...

...there *ain't* no facts in that crockumentary, sonny,
it's just Moore's way of jacking off in public. Sucker bait.

And now, Moore has ten of the dollars that used to live
in *your* pocket.

Sucker.

Absolutely correct assessment of that POS excuse for a documentary. It's a
poorly edited collage of (mostly) readily available, low rez news clips
presented to the unsuspecting audience totally out of context. Simply a
means of Moore propagating his political views at the expense (literally) of
the public. Yeah, I admit I paid to see this film. Bad investment. I left
the theater with a deep sense of loss...of $8.50 (ticket) and 3hrs of my
invaluable time. Total waste of time and $$.

And make no mistake about it, despite Moore's intentionally scruffy
appearance and demeanor, he's a hollywood elitist fat-cat living off the
efforts of others and whose contributions to the "art" are dubious at best.
Kind of like Babs and Whoopee.

--
Steve

Fred Gilham

I remember watching a TV display during the first Gulf war of what
they *said* was shooting down a Mig-25. They remarked about how
they were particularly proud of this. Of course this is from
memory, but it did make an impression on me because of the mention
of the Mig-25.

OK, looking it up in Google, it seems they shot down 2 Mig-25s in the
first Gulf War. See

http://www.au.af.mil/au/afhra/wwwroo..._swa_gulf.html

--
Fred Gilham
If you want to be largely ignored by women, playing jazz guitar is
Chris Morriss

In message 08iJc.45289$Rf.38977@edtnps84, Gregg
writes

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
Yeah, but a hoser's $50 ain't fifty REAL dollars on this side of the
line....

Good thing too. Kerry is a 100% dumbass.

Yeah, but we like you :-p

It's not Kerry I worry about over here, it's that redneck he has as his
running mate. My God, have you heard him speak? I thought people only
spoke like that in the 'Dukes of Hazzard'.
--
Chris Morriss
Robert Casey

It's not Kerry I worry about over here, it's that redneck he has as his
running mate. My God, have you heard him speak? I thought people only
spoke like that in the 'Dukes of Hazzard'.

And GW doesn't?

Fred Gilham

AFAICT, they weren't shot down but destroyed on the ground.

No, they were hit by air-to-air missiles. One was hit by an AIM-7 and
the other by an AIM-120.

It turns out that the second Mig-25 was shot down after the Gulf War
ended; it violated the "no-fly" zone.

--
Fred Gilham
For what it's worth, the way I try to get through this stuff is to
Chris Morriss

In message , Robert Casey
writes

It's not Kerry I worry about over here, it's that redneck he has as
his running mate. My God, have you heard him speak? I thought people
only spoke like that in the 'Dukes of Hazzard'.

And GW doesn't?

To my English ear, untutored in the US accent differences, then GW
appears to have a better-educated accent than the ambulance-chaser
lawyer (as we call them over here).
--
Chris Morriss