Ryan Inman

Default Off Topic (slightly), Need Special Capacitor

Hi All,

I apologize if this is off topic, but I figured that someone may be
able to supply the capacitor I'm looking for:

A few years ago, I bought a complete set of RBM-4 Navy radio
equipment. The set consists of a Dynamotor type power supply, a MF
receiver, and an HF receiver. Up until now, each component has been
working flawlessly. Each of these were made by Westinghouse in 1943.

The problem occured in the Dynamotor power supply (the purpose of this
power supply is to convert 12VDC to 205VDC @ 150 mA using two DC
motors).

While listening to the HF receiver, I noticed an increase in noise,
and then suddenly, BAM! Upon opening the cabinet I found that the top
of a capacitor exploded. This is an oil filled capacitor, and oil was
gushing out of it rapidly. Below are the markings on this capacitor:

Sprague
Chlorinal
4uF
1000 VAC

I can't find a replacement 4 microfarad, 1000VAC capacitor anywhere,
does anyone have one, or know of a supplier?

After cleaning up the oil, I found that it was damaged due to a worn
out brush on one of the DC motors. I guess that excessive sparking
produced some voltage spikes that killed the cap. That would also
explain the noise problem (bad brush).

There are six, oil filled capacitors in this Dynamotor. (2) of the
Sprague
4uF Chlorinal types, (2) 10 uF GE Pyranol type, and (2) 1 uF
Westinghouse
"bathtub" type capacitors. All test good except for the one that
exploded
(internal resistance of 12K Ohm). I noticed that each of these has
some oil residue around the terminals, should I replace them all, even
though they test good?

Another thing I noticed was the smell of the oil, it is very pungent
(like a chlorine smell). Maybe some type of special military oil?
PCB's?

If anyone has some suggestions, I'd sure appreciate them. All of this
equipment is in mint condition, and I'd like to get the Dynamotor up
and running again (can't listen to the receivers without it!).

Best of Regards,

Ryan
Gregg

Behold, David R Brooks signaled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

A caution he a lot of old "oil" filled capacitors were filled with
PCB - polychlorinated biphenyl. The name "Chlorinal" on your capacitor
suggests this.
PCB is highly toxic, and a known carcinogen. It is banned from current
use. TAKE CARE!

Bah - studies have shown canola oil to be just as dangerous to you as
PCB's ;-)

--
Gregg
*Perhaps it's useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Bryan McGivney

I recently was looking for caps in my area and called a surplus store in
Hillsboro, OR. called Wacky Willy's. I live in Durham, OR. which is why I
was calling them. I asked if they had the caps I was looking for, 40 and 80
mfd at 350v and 400v. No go on the ones I was looking for but he started to
name off a few high voltage ones he did have and I remember him saying
something about 1000v caps. I don't remember what mfd value he mentioned
though. You might try using qwestdex.com to get the number and give them a
call and ask. Doubt they will ship but if they have them I can probably go
get them and ship them to you.

Later,
Bryan
"Ryan Inman" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Ryan Inman

"Fabio Berutti" wrote in message ...
Have a look he

http://www.plasticcapacitors.com/product_index.html

As a chemical engineer I recommend You to wear rubber gloves when handling
the exploded, PCB-containing old capacitor and to dispose of it properly (it
should be sent to a special dump for highly toxic substances). Remember
that carcinogenics do not have a "minimum risk threshold" (unless You set to
absolutely 0).
Nowadays oil-filled capacitors use EPA-approved oils.

Ciao

Fabio

I am very familar with PCB's, I worked at a transformer plant for
years, and we used "Elemex" PCB containing oil to fill the transformer
casing. Many workers (including myself) were up to their armpits in
oil, working on coils, etc. None of us ever got sick or anything. As
far as I know, there were never any reported cases of cancer or other
disease from exposure to chlorinated hydrocarbons. The company has
since reopened, and they are using a non-PCB containing oil. All of
the left over contaminated oil is stored in three large tanks near
company property.

PCB's and other chemicals seeped into the water supply within the
plant, and the plant water supply has been turned off until the
contamination can be cleaned up. There is no indoor water running
(restroom, water fountains, sinks, etc) due to the contamination. Just
about everything in the plant was contaminated with the oil,
especially the floor in the Vapor Phase department. All employees must
use the outdoor restroom facilities. To this day, the contamination
isn't cleaned up. Inside the plant, you can still smell the oil
residue.

If PCB's were truly dangerous, I'm sure that one of us would've gotten
sick or something. All of my fellow employee's that worked with me in
large assembly are still alive and well, along with the employee's who
worked in the vapor phase department. I highly doubt that PCB oil is
dangerous (unless burned).
And I think it's a damn shame that all of those transformers we built
are being destroyed and replaced because they contain PCB oil (and all
of them are in perfect working order, I can't say the same for the new
transformers).

I won't mention the company's name because they would probably try to
sue me if they read this (they build junk now).

Best Regards,

Ryan

Tim Williams

"Gregg" wrote in message
Bah - studies have shown canola oil to be just as dangerous to you as
PCB's ;-)

- Seconded - most banned chlorinated hydrocarbons are EPA scare-mongering.
Kinda like nuclear power.

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

Bob Hedberg

Hi

I have a Pyramid 4mf 1000vdc cap you can have, but it's not going to
be high enough if you need 1kvAC.

You could connect three 12Uf 630v caps in series for 4uf / and at
least 1kva. You could use Solen metalized pp caps, which should be
accurate enough not to need equalizing resistors, though I don't know
for sure. Maybe someone here has experimented with this.

Electrolytics in series usually should have dropping resistors to
equalize the voltage, but film caps may not need them.

Three should give you 1890vdc protection, which gives at least 450 vdc
margin over the max vdc you should see with 1kvac. (I'm figuring
1414vdc max).

The only 12uf caps I see (and the cheapest) are 12Uf/630vdc Angela
(Solens) caps at $4.75 each at Angela.com. They're made by the same
folks who make Solens.

They're non-polarized, and so should handle your application.

If there is some inherent danger of connecting series caps for this
application, please let us know.

Bob Hedberg

(Ryan Inman) wrote:

[...]

Bob H.

Just grab that plate in one hand, the chassis in the other,
and FEEL the power of tube audio!!!
(not literally, of course, just kidding. DON'T DO THAT!)

Shiva

Hi all -
I have a bunch of oil caps rated from 1kv to 6kv - , 1. to 8Mf - they're
fairly common in old lab HV power supplies & mil. gear, which is available
for next-to-nothing... The only problem is finding the space for those
things - a 6K 2Mf cap is about the size of half a carton of cigs....
-dim

(Ryan Inman) wrote:

[...]

Wylie Williams

Shiva,

The caps don't have to be inside the same chassis: they can be located
outboard. I recall seeing an outboard cap box once for a Hafler amp that was
as big as the amp. I believe there are some techncal safeguards that would
need to be taken before you hook a huge capacitance to your power supply to
prevent a problem from the huge turn on current inrush, but someone else
would have to help with that.

Wylie Williams

Caps in amps Carey Carlan Pro Audio 66 August 23rd 04 07:15 PM
capacitor killing amplifiers ?!? Hamilton Audio Car Audio 10 August 19th 04 12:16 PM
Capacitors Nathan Car Audio 34 December 26th 03 10:22 AM