Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Joe Kramer

Default XFRMR At Monitor Amp Input?

Hi Friends,

I'm currently investigating possible ways to connect my unbalanced
recording system to the balanced input of my Hafler P3000. Besides
fiddling with several cabling solutions, I also have a dual Jensen
transformer unit, which I normally use on some inputs of my recorder.

After doing an A/B comparison (as best I could) between hard-coupled
versus transformer at the input of the amp, I thought initially that the
transformer tilted the frequency response toward the low end and lacked
crispness. But after some more listening and mixing through it, I now
realize what I originally heard as a lack of high end was really the
removal of some harsh upper blurriness, and it allowed me to better
distinguish between, say, maracas, tamborine, and acoustic guitar
strumming. The upper-mid to high frequencies seem to sit apart better
with the transformer, not to mention the system is dead quiet now. The
mix actually translates well on other speakers, too.

My question has to do with consensus or corroboration. Before I go and
cough up the dough, any opinions, advice, words of warning about mixing
through transformers? Is there a downside? Anyone else have the
experience of hearing the improvements I think I'm hearing? Thanks.

Regards,
Joe