NY

Old January 11th 20, 02:18 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

Default NY

On 11 Jan 2020 08:10:43 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>John Williamson > wrote:
>>On 10/01/2020 17:00, Don Pearce wrote:
>>
>>> I've just been listening to More or Less, a BBC programme about
>>> numbers, statistics and general misconception. They had an article
>>> about exactly this question. They had a statement from The Royal
>>> Observatory in Greenwich, the official home of time on Earth. The
>>> message stated unequivocally that millennia, centuries and decades
>>> start on the year ending in a one.
>>>
>>> End of discussion.
>>>

>>If you listen to the excerpt that is on line from the ten year old
>>programme they mentioned in this show, they admit there are two sides to
>>the story, and either is acceptable. Imagine that 1940 was in the 1930s,
>>for instance....

>What do they know at Greenwich? The official prime meridian for time
>reference should be Paris, and it's only the fault of that damned Wellington
>that anyone has accepted the Greenwich reference.
>--scott

Wellington? He was just doing his job. Blame Napoleon.

Old January 11th 20, 07:24 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck[_11_]

On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 22:47:23 -0600, Les Cargill
> wrote:

>Trevor wrote:

>>> So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
>>> reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
>>> question.

>> Friday, 15 October 1582 for the Gregorian Calendar!
>>

>Meh. They went broke.
>
>https://kfor.com/2018/12/05/8-millio...bby-finalized/

That's too bad. I saw the most amazing collection of gold jewelry
owned by the Catholic Church there about 20 years ago.
Old January 12th 20, 12:56 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Irwin

Scott Dorsey > wrote:

> What do they know at Greenwich? The official prime meridian for time
> reference should be Paris, and it's only the fault of that damned Wellington
> that anyone has accepted the Greenwich reference.
> --scott

I think it had a lot more to do with the extreme usefulness of The
Nautical Almanac.

Peter.
Old January 14th 20, 07:00 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 11/01/2020 4:00 am, Don Pearce wrote:

> I've just been listening to More or Less, a BBC programme about
> numbers, statistics and general misconception. They had an article
> about exactly this question. They had a statement from The Royal
> Observatory in Greenwich, the official home of time on Earth. The
> message stated unequivocally that millennia, centuries and decades
> start on the year ending in a one.
>
> End of discussion.

There is no such thing as end of discussion when people are all talking
about different concepts, and that's before you even start arguing
linguistic definitions which is the cause of more internet arguments
that anything as far as I have seen.

Old January 16th 20, 10:28 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

>>> So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
>>> reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
>>> question.
>>>

>> The first year was year 1, making the first decade span the years
>> 1 through 10, the second decade starting at year 11. Or is there
>> a trick to your question?
>>

> No trick. You make my point perfectly. Decades start on the year that
> ends in a 1, not a 0.

So when I was 10 years old, I had not lived a decade, because
"Decades start on the year that ends in a 1" whereas
my first decade started with a year that ended in 6.

I'm just saying that when someone refers to the 50's say, it's
as arbitrary as saying "the evens". It's a description that
we can use to group some of the past years together so we can
easily agree on which ones we're talking about.
Old January 17th 20, 10:10 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 13:28:05 -0800, Tobiah > wrote:

>>> The first year was year 1, making the first decade span the years
>>> 1 through 10, the second decade starting at year 11. Or is there
>>> a trick to your question?
>>>

>> No trick. You make my point perfectly. Decades start on the year that
>> ends in a 1, not a 0.

>So when I was 10 years old, I had not lived a decade, because
>"Decades start on the year that ends in a 1" whereas
>my first decade started with a year that ended in 6.
>
>I'm just saying that when someone refers to the 50's say, it's
>as arbitrary as saying "the evens". It's a description that
>we can use to group some of the past years together so we can
>easily agree on which ones we're talking about.

I blame the schools lousy maths skills. When you were ten years old
you had lived a decade. Just you were one year old you had lived a
year.

Old January 17th 20, 10:38 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 09:10:38 GMT, (Don Pearce) wrote:

>>> No trick. You make my point perfectly. Decades start on the year that
>>> ends in a 1, not a 0.

>>So when I was 10 years old, I had not lived a decade, because
>>"Decades start on the year that ends in a 1" whereas
>>my first decade started with a year that ended in 6.
>>
>>I'm just saying that when someone refers to the 50's say, it's
>>as arbitrary as saying "the evens". It's a description that
>>we can use to group some of the past years together so we can
>>easily agree on which ones we're talking about.

>I blame the schools lousy maths skills. When you were ten years old
>you had lived a decade. Just you were one year old you had lived a
>year.

And that is what happens when you post before you are awake. Let me
try again...
I blame the schools for lousy maths skills. When you were ten years
old you had lived a decade, just as when you were one year old you had
lived a year.

Old January 17th 20, 02:49 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Gregory Allen

On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 12:36:09 PM UTC, geoff wrote:
> It's the next decade here already. All the best for everybody everywhere
> for 2020.
>
> cheers
>
> geoff

Back in the day this was a pro audio newsgroup
Old January 17th 20, 03:18 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 05:49:21 -0800 (PST), Gregory Allen
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 12:36:09 PM UTC, geoff wrote:
>> It's the next decade here already. All the best for everybody everywhere
>> for 2020.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> geoff

>Back in the day this was a pro audio newsgroup

Were it not for off-topic, this group would have closed. Don't knock
it.

Old January 17th 20, 03:57 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Gregory Allen

On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 2:18:48 PM UTC, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 05:49:21 -0800 (PST), Gregory Allen
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 12:36:09 PM UTC, geoff wrote:
> >> It's the next decade here already. All the best for everybody everywhere
> >> for 2020.
> >>
> >> cheers
> >>
> >> geoff

> >Back in the day this was a pro audio newsgroup

> Were it not for off-topic, this group would have closed. Don't knock
> it.

I'm just poking his badger