Posted to rec.audio.car
jbclem jbclem is offline

Default using a car radio inside my house

I live in a bad FM reception area and I've noticed that my Blaupundt Tucson
(in my car) gets much better reception than my portable Tecsun DSP radio.
I'd like to hook up a Tucson inside my house and have to figure out a power
supply/converter for it. Being a tuner, it needs an amplifier and I have
some Blaupundt amplifiers that go with the various Tucsons I have. But I
don't know exactly what type/brand of power supply I would need for running
this setup of my house current. Can someone give me some pointers towards
figuring this out.

Thanks, John

Posted to rec.audio.car
gregz gregz is offline

"jbclem" wrote:
I live in a bad FM reception area and I've noticed that my Blaupundt Tucson
(in my car) gets much better reception than my portable Tecsun DSP radio.
I'd like to hook up a Tucson inside my house and have to figure out a power
supply/converter for it. Being a tuner, it needs an amplifier and I have
some Blaupundt amplifiers that go with the various Tucsons I have. But I
don't know exactly what type/brand of power supply I would need for running
this setup of my house current. Can someone give me some pointers towards
figuring this out.

Thanks, John

Supplies can run over a hundred dollars.
Look up, using a computer power supply 12 volts.

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
Bob F Bob F is offline

jbclem wrote:
I live in a bad FM reception area and I've noticed that my Blaupundt
Tucson (in my car) gets much better reception than my portable Tecsun
DSP radio. I'd like to hook up a Tucson inside my house and have to
figure out a power supply/converter for it. Being a tuner, it needs
an amplifier and I have some Blaupundt amplifiers that go with the
various Tucsons I have. But I don't know exactly what type/brand of
power supply I would need for running this setup of my house current.
Can someone give me some pointers towards figuring this out.

Radio shack and other places probably have power supplies for 12V devices, often
with a cigarette lighter jack. You could probably get away using a 12 V
"wall-wart" as long as it has sufficient amperage output.

Posted to rec.audio.car
gregz gregz is offline

"Bob F" wrote:
jbclem wrote:
I live in a bad FM reception area and I've noticed that my Blaupundt
Tucson (in my car) gets much better reception than my portable Tecsun
DSP radio. I'd like to hook up a Tucson inside my house and have to
figure out a power supply/converter for it. Being a tuner, it needs
an amplifier and I have some Blaupundt amplifiers that go with the
various Tucsons I have. But I don't know exactly what type/brand of
power supply I would need for running this setup of my house current.
Can someone give me some pointers towards figuring this out.

Radio shack and other places probably have power supplies for 12V devices, often
with a cigarette lighter jack. You could probably get away using a 12 V
"wall-wart" as long as it has sufficient amperage output.

Bench supply

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-8142

Wall supply

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...001_2151208_-1

Notice it's almost impossible to find a wall supply of nominal 13.8 volts.

It all depends on your loudness levels. Loud means high peak amps.

Depending on the supply, some computer supplies deliver 10 amps or more at
12 volts. You can find these for free.

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
jbclem jbclem is offline

I like the idea of using a computer power supply, and I have several used
ones around. And thinking about the 12v limitation, I've run my car radio
many times with the voltage around 12-12.5v, and the car itself (VW Vanagon)
will start up as long as it's computer gets about 10.5 to 11v. So the radio
must be designed to function with less than 12v. Since this car has been
parked for two years, and the battery goes down regularly, I'll check and
make sure the radio and amp will work at and below 12v.

Thanks for the ideas...

John

"gregz" wrote in message
"Bob F" wrote:
jbclem wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
gregz gregz is offline

"gregz" wrote in message
"Bob F" wrote:
jbclem wrote:
[...]

Just check up on how to load 5 volt section if needed.

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
jbclem jbclem is offline

Are you referring to the +5v output from the computer power supply? Would
that be used as a trigger voltage between the car radio and it's amplifier?

"gregz" wrote in message

"Bob F" wrote:
jbclem wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
gregz gregz is offline

"gregz" wrote in message
"jbclem" wrote:
I like the idea of using a computer power supply, and I have several

used
ones around.

No trigger, except a pin usually needs activated to turn supply on. The 5
volt usually needs a small load for the voltages to settle.

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
Bob F Bob F is offline

jbclem wrote:
I like the idea of using a computer power supply, and I have several
used ones around. And thinking about the 12v limitation, I've run my
car radio many times with the voltage around 12-12.5v, and the car
itself (VW Vanagon) will start up as long as it's computer gets about
10.5 to 11v. So the radio must be designed to function with less
than 12v. Since this car has been parked for two years, and the
battery goes down regularly, I'll check and make sure the radio and
amp will work at and below 12v.

Thanks for the ideas...

Car regulators produce a varying voltage. Power anywhere in the 12-15 volt range
should work fine. Lower voltage would likely just produce more distortion at
higher volume.

Posted to rec.audio.car
jbclem jbclem is offline

If I'm understanding you correctly, I need a load on the +5v of the computer
supply or the +12v will be variable. Can you suggest, to a non-electronic
person, what (and how) I could use for a small load.

"gregz" wrote in message
.

"gregz" wrote in message

.
"jbclem" wrote:
I like the idea of using a computer power supply, and I have several

used
ones around.

No trigger, except a pin usually needs activated to turn supply on. The 5
volt usually needs a small load for the voltages to settle.

Greg

Posted to rec.audio.car
gregz gregz is offline

"jbclem" wrote:
If I'm understanding you correctly, I need a load on the +5v of the computer
supply or the +12v will be variable. Can you suggest, to a non-electronic
person, what (and how) I could use for a small load.

Add 1-10 ohm resistor across 5 volt to ground. Will get warm. Pins should
be on Internet as well as everything you need to know. Here is a resistor
set from the shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062291

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
gregz gregz is offline

gregz wrote:
"jbclem" wrote:
If I'm understanding you correctly, I need a load on the +5v of the computer
supply or the +12v will be variable. Can you suggest, to a non-electronic
person, what (and how) I could use for a small load.

Add 1-10 ohm resistor across 5 volt to ground. Will get warm. Pins should
be on Internet as well as everything you need to know. Here is a resistor
set from the shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062291

Greg

http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-...current-%2b3./