Dave Turner

Default What Does "XLR" Mean? -- Official Answer

Al Gershen wrote:

I've searched over the Internet and I haven't been able to find a
defination for what the letters "XLR" mean.

Can you help me?

Dear Group,

This topic doesn't seem to have arisen for quite a while, but I was asked
this recently and did a bit of digging on usenet. Not trusting what I heard
(there were a whole load of different answers, all claiming to be
authoritative), I asked Cannon/ITT what the acronym XLR stands for and they
replied with the following:

William Sommerwerck

My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that the LR part stands for "locking
receptacle."

Neil Henderson

My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that the LR part stands for "locking
receptacle."

Xcellent.

NeilH
George Gleason

"Dave Turner" wrote in message
Al Gershen wrote:

I've searched over the Internet and I haven't been able to find a
defination for what the letters "XLR" mean.

Can you help me?

My GUESS is that it was part of a mil spec part number that became common
George

---

Ted Spencer

Maybe I just dreamed this up but I thought X meant Ground, L meant Left and R
meant Right, corresponding to the three pins in an XLR connector. Works for me,
anyway.

Ted Spencer, NYC

"No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
"Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown
aJax

Ted Spencer wrote:

Maybe I just dreamed this up but I thought X meant Ground, L meant Left and R
meant Right, corresponding to the three pins in an XLR connector. Works for me,
anyway.

Ted Spencer, NYC

"No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
"Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown

You know, that's so crazy it just might work :-)

Terry King

I was working in Broadcast when "XLR's" came out. I don't recall any
reason for the designation.

As I recall, they first appeared on non-broadcast mikes from
Electrovoice and Shure as a better smaller answer than the abominable
screw-on cheapos previously used. The EV654 was the first mike I had
with XLR built into the case. Still have it. It's not good for much!

The 'standard' in the 40's was (As I recall) The "M" round 3-pin
connector about 1 inch in diameter, as seen on the old RCA OP4, OP6 and
OP7 Remote Amplifiers. The Gates elcheapos had the screw-on type. (What
the heck were those called??) I have and old OP-4 and a Gates remote
amplifier.

In the 50's the 'new standard' was the "D" shaped Cannon "UA" with gold
plated pins. It has a real positive locking mechanism. The first piece
of gear I ever bought with them new-fangled Transistors in it was a
Collins remote amplifier. It came with "UA" type connectoirs, and by
1960 we had lots of cables with male UA on one end, that plugged into
the Collins, and out in-the-studio-wall mike connectors. The other end
was female XLR for the 'cheap mikes'. The 'Good Mikes' like RCA 77DX's,
had their own cable connected inside the mike case, like It Should Be.
RCA didn't change that when the BK-5 and BK-5B mikes came out in the
60's. So you had to put your own connector on the cable end of a new
RCA mike.

Jeez, who the heck wanted to know about this?? Sorry...
Denny F

X-L-R
1-2-3
Ground-lead-return

I may have dreamed this.

Denny Fohringer
Itinerant guitarist
Lessons and music:
http://surf.to/dennyf
Bands:
http://bluepearlband.com http://doubletakeband.com
"Ted Spencer" wrote in message
Maybe I just dreamed this up but I thought X meant Ground, L meant Left

and R
meant Right, corresponding to the three pins in an XLR connector. Works

for me,
anyway.

Ted Spencer, NYC

"No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
"Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown

Ricky W. Hunt

"Ted Spencer" wrote in message
Maybe I just dreamed this up but I thought X meant Ground, L meant Left

and R
meant Right, corresponding to the three pins in an XLR connector. Works

for me,
anyway.

That's what I've always heard too.

William Sommerwerck

I even have at least one old XL connector. Yup, hard plastic insert.

But I've bought XLRs with hard inserts. In fact, I don't ever remember seeing
one with a flexible insert.

Scott Dorsey

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
I even have at least one old XL connector. Yup, hard plastic insert.

But I've bought XLRs with hard inserts. In fact, I don't ever remember seeing
one with a flexible insert.

I bet they weren't really XLRs at all, but A3Ms or something.

It's been a long time since I have seen anyone else using the Cannon connectors,
although Newark still stocks them and I like them a lot.
Pooh Bear

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I even have at least one old XL connector. Yup, hard plastic insert.

But I've bought XLRs with hard inserts. In fact, I don't ever remember seeing
one with a flexible insert.

Genuine * Cannon * XLRs have rubber inserts.

Graham

Pooh Bear

Dave Turner wrote:

Al Gershen wrote:

I've searched over the Internet and I haven't been able to find a
defination for what the letters "XLR" mean.

Can you help me?

http://www.denecke.com/prod04.htm#AD20

http://www.proav.de/index.html?http&...R_history.html

They seem to agree. X series connector - modified to add a Latch - with
Resilent Rubber insert.

Graham

Pooh Bear wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:
In article writes:

As far as I know the XLR is just a series part number, it may have had an
original meaning, however we have no info here on it.

That seems to be as good an answer as any. There apparently was an XL
series of connector that was the same size and layout, but with a hard
insert. The XLR had a somewhat flexible rubber base for the insert,
and that's where the "R" came from (according to other folklore,
sometimes traceable to ITT Cannon).

I even have at least one old XL connector. Yup, hard plastic insert.
Cable gland is screwed on.
R for rubber sounds plausible.

Plausible, but far from certain. What is known is that XLR was a
Cannon (before ITT) part number. I've heard people say that LR
may have stood for "long reach" too, which is also plausible,
but unestablished. Usually, the only way you'd ever find out
what it "meant" would be to get the skinny from some old timer
in the Cannon engineering department.

Typically, part names/numbers come from two sources. One is
the engineering department where they are given names just
for project/ID purposes. Numbers often come from the numbering
of projects, such as IC development 709 etc. Names usually
make sense at some level IF one knows the thinking at the time.
For example it COULD have been "Experimental, Low Impedance,
Rubber Insert connector project" Which thence got shortened
to XLR. (X is a common letter used to mean experimental).
BUT as I said ONLY an old-timer at Cannon would know for sure.
The letters could just as easily have been something else.
Maybe even referring to internal names, departments etc.,
they had at Cannon.

The Second place part names come from is the marketing dept.
In such a case, the name would be choosen for "hype" Hence
the "X"...you know like the X-1 rocket ship etc.! And the "LR"
could be anything made up just so as to sound cool and not
create confusion with other parts (either in house or competitor).

As for the "true" story, only an engineer who was there
at the time could say for sure. I'm old enough to have seen
XLR as the cannon part number, but I never worked at Cannon
and have no inside info as to the reasons for the name.

Benj
(Who in those days preferred Amphenol connectors which were
considerably cheaper than Cannon and worked as well, IMHO)

--
Due to SPAM innundation above address is turned off!

John Deans

I cant remember where but I once read that XLR meant "extra low resistance"
the connector was originally designed for instrumentation work before being
taken up by the audio industry originally made by ITT cannon hence they
where called cannons when I started in the audio world in the late seventies
and where available in 2 to 8 way versions

John Deans

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article writes:

Plausible, but far from certain. What is known is that XLR was a
Cannon (before ITT) part number. I've heard people say that LR
may have stood for "long reach" too, which is also plausible,
but unestablished. Usually, the only way you'd ever find out
what it "meant" would be to get the skinny from some old timer
in the Cannon engineering department.

Who really cares? It's a part number and it doesn't have to mean
anything, and probably doesn't, really.

We have:
LA-2 (Leveling Amplifier)
RNC 1773 (Really Nice Compressor and the year McQ was born - not
really, but I forget the meaning of 1773, but it does have a
meaning)
3630 (Address of the Alesis factory at the time)
AG-440 (Audio General)

I suppose that XLR could stand for something, but I imagine that if it
actually did, someone would know. This is a pretty historic part
number.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Bob Olhsson

In article , wrote:

As for the "true" story, only an engineer who was there
at the time could say for sure.

The only thing I know is that the letter "R" stood for "resilient
socket insulator" which differentiated it from the older phenolic
insulated "XL" model.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN 615.385.8051
http://www.hyperback.com/olhsson.html
Richard Crowley

"Bob Olhsson" wrote in ...
The only thing I know is that the letter "R" stood for "resilient
socket insulator" which differentiated it from the older phenolic
insulated "XL" model.

They probably used "R" for "rubber", but the marketing gerbs
changed it to "resilient" to make it sound more refined. :-)

J. Joyce

If you search rec.audio.pro (always a good idea)
you will find this post by Jeremy Shaw:

Cannon has a range of connectors in the XL series, IE: XLA, XLB, and
of course, XLR.
You will see that in most catalogs, connectors manufactured by other
companies are called "XLR-type" connectors, so, just like Kleenex has
become a generic (although still trademarked) term for facial tissue,
XLR has become the the term in general usage for this type of
connector.
Now that all that has been said, I have also heard the explanation
that "X" refers to the ground, and "L" and "R" refer to left and right
(or line and return). While this makes a neat explanation for the
XLR-3, it does not explain the XLR-4,5,6, or 7.

In reality XLR is just a part number assigned by ITT/Cannon

X for the series the Military used (or just another letter in their
commercial series of connectors after U and UA)
L for locking
R for rubber

The XLR connector was designed for Boeing in the 60's.
by Cannon (and there was an XL connector before, with a rigid
insulator)
(also I had not heard that it was for Boeing, but could believe that
.... it was commonly used as an inexpensive instrumentation connector
when people wanted something that would lock
but not have a threaded ring)

Then Switchcraft and others used it for audio.
Switchcraft added a grounding lug to connect to the shell, and went
back
to a rigid insulator, which was a bad idea -- the rubber female side
was
tensioned so there was a good strong wiping action to get rid of the
contact oxidation at every mating cycle

In the 80'sit became commonly available with gold
plated pins instead of the silver plating on the old ones that
commonly
became silver oxide and other less conductive silver salts... so that
the scraping/wiping action made by the original XLR wasn't needed...

Note, that ITT/Cannon is different than Canon the copier company.

It is also interesting to note that ITT/Cannon no longer manufactures
the Cannon XLR connectors (or so I have heard). I believe they sold
the patent to Switchcraft.

Jeremy Shaw.
Geoff Wood

"J. Joyce" wrote in message
ws.com...
If you search rec.audio.pro (always a good idea)
you will find this post by Jeremy Shaw:

Cannon has a range of connectors in the XL series, IE: XLA, XLB, and
of course, XLR.

Whatever happened to C,D,E,F,.....

geoff

Richard Crowley

"J. Joyce" wrote ...
It is also interesting to note that ITT/Cannon no longer manufactures
the Cannon XLR connectors (or so I have heard).

Perhaps in the USA. But I still see what appear to be new
"ITT/Cannon Japan" connectors on audio and video equipment
from Sony (for example). The classic desgn with the rubber
insulator in the female variety.

I believe they sold the patent to Switchcraft.

If they did (which I kinda' doubt), it wasn't exclusive.
I recall a significant period when Cannon (and then ITT/
Cannon) were still selling XLRs even after Switchcraft
started selling their equivalent version.

OTOH, I concur that "XLR" was just an arbitrary part
number from Cannon. Any nmemonic or acronynomic
associations were invented after the fact by users out
in the field and had nothing to do with the original
name/numbers.

Pooh Bear

Richard Crowley wrote:

"J. Joyce" wrote ...
It is also interesting to note that ITT/Cannon no longer manufactures
the Cannon XLR connectors (or so I have heard).

Perhaps in the USA. But I still see what appear to be new
"ITT/Cannon Japan" connectors on audio and video equipment
from Sony (for example). The classic desgn with the rubber
insulator in the female variety.

Yup. Me too.

Some were made by Cannon Australia too.

I believe they sold the patent to Switchcraft.

If they did (which I kinda' doubt), it wasn't exclusive.
I recall a significant period when Cannon (and then ITT/
Cannon) were still selling XLRs even after Switchcraft
started selling their equivalent version.

For years and years and years. Another poster reminded me that Amphenol
made a version for a while too.

Beware of some cheap Asian copies of the Switchcraft style. I've seen some
where the pins 2 and 3 are incorrectly numbered !

OTOH, I concur that "XLR" was just an arbitrary part
number from Cannon. Any nmemonic or acronynomic
associations were invented after the fact by users out
in the field and had nothing to do with the original
name/numbers.

X connector with Latch and Resilient rubber insert. Predated by the XL
which didn't have the rubber insert.

Graham

Justin Ulysses Morse

As far as I know the XLR is just a series part number, it may have had an
original meaning, however we have no info here on it.

regards

John Embleton
Technical Support
ITT Industries,
Cannon Connector Division,
Basingstoke.
UK

So that's the official answer.

Official? It's not even an answer. He might just as well have said,
"Who cares?" or "None of your damn business."

Ray A. Rayburn gives further information
which ties in with this at http://www.soundfirst.com/xlr.html which gives

Now this explanation makes much more sense. But having been around the
internet awhile I have learned the important truth that just because a
story sounds plausible, or has been written, doesn't make it true.
This explanation has been repeated by a few other people but for all I
know they could have all gotten it from a single unreliable source.
Since every other explanation I've heard has been obvious bull****,
this is the one I'll choose to believe until I find evidence to
contradict it. Not that it really matters.

What does "NC3FD" stand for?

ulysses

rich rookie

Default What Does "XLR" Mean? -- (un) Official Answer

"Justin Ulysses Morse" wrote in message
m...

[...]

I just happend across this, this morning. From
http://www.soundfirst.com/xlr.html

Richard

At one time Cannon (now ITT Cannon) made a large circular connector series
that was popular for microphones called the P series. Mics used the 3 pin P3
version. Some loudspeakers use the P4 or P8 versions of this connector to
this day.

In an attempt to make a smaller connector for the microphone market Cannon
came out with the UA series. These were "D" shaped instead of circular and
were used on such mics as the Electro-Voice 666, 666R, and 655C.

There was a desire for a smaller yet connector. Someone pointed out the
small circular Cannon X series. The problem with this was it had no latch.
Cannon rearranged the pins and added a latch, and the XL (X series with
Latch) was born. This is the connector others such as Switchcraft and later
Neutrik have copied.

Later Cannon modified the female end only to put the contacts in a Resilient
Rubber compound. They called this new version the XLR series. No other
company has copied this feature. It is amusing that XLR has become the
generic term since what everyone else copied was the XL and not the XLR!

Justin Ulysses Morse

Did you ever see that movie "Groundhog Day"?

In article , rich rookie
wrote:

"Justin Ulysses Morse" wrote in message
m...

rich rookie

I'm still there.

"Justin Ulysses Morse" wrote in message
m...
Did you ever see that movie "Groundhog Day"?

Justin Ulysses Morse

I can see that.

In article , rich rookie
wrote:

I'm still there.

"Justin Ulysses Morse" wrote in message
m...
Did you ever see that movie "Groundhog Day"?

Geoff Wood

"rich rookie" wrote in message news:yN6vb.7326

company has copied this feature. It is amusing that XLR has become the
generic term since what everyone else copied was the XL and not the XLR!

Naaa, they leeft the R on, because people looking for a *small* connector
would be put off by XL !

geoff

Pooh Bear

Justin Ulysses Morse wrote:

Now this explanation makes much more sense. But having been around the
internet awhile I have learned the important truth that just because a
story sounds plausible, or has been written, doesn't make it true.
This explanation has been repeated by a few other people but for all I
know they could have all gotten it from a single unreliable source.
Since every other explanation I've heard has been obvious bull****,
this is the one I'll choose to believe until I find evidence to
contradict it. Not that it really matters.

What does "NC3FD" stand for?

Neutrik Connector 3 pin Female ummm.....

Graham