Bardolator

Default How to choose good speakers?

I am buying a new house and finally decided which rooms I would need
the speakerss in. I want 8 stereo speakers (not 8 pairs) in total...4
in-wall and 4 in-ceiling. I just now have to buy Speakers, Receiver and
volume control.

First thing first..how to pick good speakers and receiver?

My budget is $800 for all the speakers. Any recommendation??? Please
advise.

Also where should I buy it from????

I went to the local stores and seems like they seem to be expensive
there. Heard, one do a lot better on eBay. Is it correct? Are there any
other online stores where it's cheap and at the same time, reliable?

What receiver should I go with? I want to have one speaker that
connects all the 8 speakers.

Please help me...

DaveW

There is NO receiver on the market that will drive eight speakers in stereo
mode. The impedence mismatch is too great. You will need to consult an
Audio/Video contractor for your system.

--
DaveW

"Bardolator" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am buying a new house and finally decided which rooms I would need
the speakerss in. I want 8 stereo speakers (not 8 pairs) in total...4
in-wall and 4 in-ceiling. I just now have to buy Speakers, Receiver and
volume control.

First thing first..how to pick good speakers and receiver?

My budget is $800 for all the speakers. Any recommendation??? Please
advise.

Also where should I buy it from????

I went to the local stores and seems like they seem to be expensive
there. Heard, one do a lot better on eBay. Is it correct? Are there any
other online stores where it's cheap and at the same time, reliable?

What receiver should I go with? I want to have one speaker that
connects all the 8 speakers.

Please help me...

The Only

A quality speaker switch box will do just fine, no need for a
contractor.
OpE

Mark D

Well, if you want a reciever that will drive 8 speakers, there is
something you could use, but it won't be a stereo reciever.

You could use something like a vintage Sansui Quad reciever? Generally
recievers like the Sansui QRX-6500, QRX-7500, QRX-7001, QRX-8001,
QRX-9001 will have the ability to drive two sets of 4 speaker cabs, so
one could possibly hook 8 speakers to one unit. (Driving both systems
A+B at the same time)

Just don't expect earth shattering sound levels at each speaker hooked
in this configuration, as most of these recievers range from about
30-50wpc RMS per channel. By hooking 8, that would probably drop these
figures to 1/2 that.

Also, why would you go through all the trouble of planting speakers in
walls, and in ceilings?
It sure would be a lot less headache to use a small mini-monitor of some
sort, and place them on Speaker Stands, either bought, or made?

Something like a relatively inexpensive JBL S-38 Monitor comes to mind
as being a 1/2 way decent small bookshelf speaker that would work well
with virtually all of the Recievers I mentioned above.

Just the 4 in one room would give you plenty of enjoyable sound. Why do
you have to have 8 speakers?

This would sort of be like a "poor mans" home theather system. Audio
feeds from a TV Monitor can go into any of the Aux-Tape (2.5V) Inputs on
these recievers. Best of luck, Mark

Bardolator

I am actually using a receiver with Speaker selector box. Also, those 8
speakers are not for just one room but for different room across the
house.

Mark D

Well Bardolator, Since it seems you already have the reciever, You sort
of lost me with your questioning in this thread?

I have no idea now what you are attempting to do, but yes, any decent
Quad reciever that I mentioned before would be able to run these
speakers in different rooms. Just use long runs of speaker cable.

If you want a unit that will power wattage hungry speakers to every room
of your house, buy yourself a vintage McIntosh MC-2600 Amp.
Also, you'll need to get yourself a fork lift to pick it up. Mark

Bardolator

But my original question remains unanswered. Where should I buy
speakers from and which ones? I still haven't bought anything but this
is the configuration that I am planning to use.