Sergey Kubushin

Default Xformer iron, bobbins. Where to get?

Looks like people started discussing DIY transformers )

So, does anybody know where a mere DIYer can get some parts for winding his
own transformers? Iron (laminations or how they called) and bobbins would be
enough. I don't even mind making my own bobbins. But where can I purchase
those Es and Is for a reasonable price and in reasonable volumes? I don't
need a palette of them...

Any information is highly appreciated...

---
* KSI@home KOI8 Net The impossible we do immediately. *
* Las Vegas NV, USA Miracles require 24-hour notice. *
Patrick Turner

Sergey Kubushin wrote:

Looks like people started discussing DIY transformers )

So, does anybody know where a mere DIYer can get some parts for winding his
own transformers? Iron (laminations or how they called) and bobbins would be
enough. I don't even mind making my own bobbins. But where can I purchase
those Es and Is for a reasonable price and in reasonable volumes? I don't
need a palette of them...

Any information is highly appreciated...

I buy my laminations in minumum quantities of 50 Kg from a local australian
supplier
of excellent GOSS lams, at usd $6.40 per Kg and I have a local supplier for
plastic bobbins, about usd $3 each although I sometimes make my own bobbins
for OPTs, using fibreglass board about 2mm thick for the cheeks,
and special tough cardboard for the inner part.

I sometimes mount tag strips on a square of this board
for the terminations, but also used tags pop riveted to the board.

The next batch will be potted, with the lams standing on edge
in boxes 125L x 125W x 140H, with a board across the bottom
of the tranny to take connections on posts arranged at 10mm centres.
These are accessable through two slots cut in the chassis top.

The materials are not expensive for a 6 Kg tranny; its the skill
and labour to make the darn things.

Patrick Turner.

---
* KSI@home KOI8 Net The impossible we do immediately. *
* Las Vegas NV, USA Miracles require 24-hour notice. *

Sergey Kubushin

Patrick Turner wrote:

Sergey Kubushin wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that's right. Unfortunately enough I don't have such a supplier here
in Las Vegas ( And I don't know where to find one in the US.

As for the labour, it doesn't scare me off. I wound a lot of various
transformers when I lived in Russia so I do know how to make them. My labour
and skills are cheap for me, I don't charge myself too high ) And I do
have everything required for almost any job right in my garage/workshop -
lathe, vertical mill, you-name-it...

Unfortunately I can't find those 50 kg of lams... (

---
* KSI@home KOI8 Net The impossible we do immediately. *
* Las Vegas NV, USA Miracles require 24-hour notice. *
RLaury

The best place I've found to get these parts (especially power) are from old
tranformers.
But if you have to buy the try this company:

http://www.magmet.com/

Cheers
RLaury
http://www.nashaudio.com

Yves

Hi.

I've some new EI laminations, M6X steel grade(measured Mu 20000 at 0.7
Tesla):
(Metric reference: divide the number by 3 to obtain the thonge width, in mm)
EI96: about 20 Kg (badly stocked, light oxidation at edges).
EI84: about 5 Kg
EI66: about 10 Kg
and bobbins to fit in for various stack height.
I'm looking for EI42 or EI48 (M6X, per 2 units, that is around 0.25 Kg).

I don't want to sell anything nor do any business, just share, if possible.
Will someone else publish what they have and what they need ?

Cheers, Yves.

"Sergey Kubushin" wrote in message
Looks like people started discussing DIY transformers )

So, does anybody know where a mere DIYer can get some parts for winding

his
own transformers? Iron (laminations or how they called) and bobbins would

be
enough. I don't even mind making my own bobbins. But where can I purchase
those Es and Is for a reasonable price and in reasonable volumes? I don't
need a palette of them...

Any information is highly appreciated...

---
* KSI@home KOI8 Net The impossible we do immediately. *
* Las Vegas NV, USA Miracles require 24-hour notice. *

TubeGarden

Hi RATs!

Las Vegas! You can visit ElectraPrint! Jack may be persuaded to part with some
for DIY.

Tell him crazy Al in Phoenix sent you

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead
Mikkel C. Simonsen

Sergey Kubushin wrote:

Looks like people started discussing DIY transformers )

So, does anybody know where a mere DIYer can get some parts for winding his
own transformers? Iron (laminations or how they called) and bobbins would be
enough.

Do you have any transformer manufacturers nearby? When I needed parts
some years ago I bought them from VRT - a Danish transformer company.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Sergey Kubushin

TubeGarden wrote:
Hi RATs!

I don't think they'll sell any lams 'coz it means I won't buy their
transformers (that I won't do anyway.)

Las Vegas! You can visit ElectraPrint! Jack may be persuaded to part with some
for DIY.

Tell him crazy Al in Phoenix sent you

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead

---
* KSI@home KOI8 Net The impossible we do immediately. *
* Las Vegas NV, USA Miracles require 24-hour notice. *
Robert Casey

Sergey Kubushin wrote:

Looks like people started discussing DIY transformers )

So, does anybody know where a mere DIYer can get some parts for winding his
own transformers? Iron (laminations or how they called)

Burnt out transformers will still have undamaged iron. Getting them
apart would be a
real challenge, though.

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Sergey Kubushin wrote:

TubeGarden wrote:
Hi RATs!

I don't think they'll sell any lams 'coz it means I won't buy their
transformers (that I won't do anyway.)

Have you asked them? As I replied I bought parts from a transformer
company. That company also builds custom transformers - including tube
amp transformers. The guy I talked to was very helpful. I think I talked
to him for almost an hour, and he gave me a lot of tips for both
calculating and building transformers...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Sergey Kubushin

Robert Casey wrote:
Sergey Kubushin wrote:

Looks like people started discussing DIY transformers )

So, does anybody know where a mere DIYer can get some parts for winding his
own transformers? Iron (laminations or how they called)

Burnt out transformers will still have undamaged iron. Getting them
apart would be a
real challenge, though.

The problem is that those transformers are usually impregnated with a
varnish so they are almost impossible to get apart. I want new lams.

---
* KSI@home KOI8 Net The impossible we do immediately. *
* Las Vegas NV, USA Miracles require 24-hour notice. *
Sergey Kubushin

Mikkel C. Simonsen wrote:
Sergey Kubushin wrote:

TubeGarden wrote:
Hi RATs!

I don't think they'll sell any lams 'coz it means I won't buy their
transformers (that I won't do anyway.)

Have you asked them? As I replied I bought parts from a transformer
company. That company also builds custom transformers - including tube
amp transformers. The guy I talked to was very helpful. I think I talked
to him for almost an hour, and he gave me a lot of tips for both
calculating and building transformers...

Electraprint is not a transformer company. Its a small company that makes a
relatively small number of, IMHO, overpriced transformers for audiophiles
who have more money than brain. It means they do not stock enough iron to
sell some to a mere DIYer...

I wish we had a regular medium volume transformer company here in Vegas...
The one that doesn't make tube OPTs would be even better. Alas... (

---
* KSI@home KOI8 Net The impossible we do immediately. *
* Las Vegas NV, USA Miracles require 24-hour notice. *
Patrick Turner

Unfortunately I can't find those 50 kg of lams... (

Gee, the US is *big* place, and I thought someone would be willing to sell
you some GOSS E&I lams, or C-cores.

Tried Google under "transformer lamination supply"?

There were a couple of UK hits straightaway.

I am sure there are suppliers in the US.

Patrick Turner.

PS

Meanwhile my ISP dropped out yesterday, but its back on today it seems.

Patrick Turner

RLaury wrote:

The best place I've found to get these parts (especially power) are from old
tranformers.
But if you have to buy the try this company:

http://www.magmet.com/

This is a very interesting website, and I suggest everyone study
what they have carefully.

Their idea for a CI tranny is interesting.

I have emailed them to find out if they can supply wasteless pattern E&I or
C-cores in GOSS
for typical use in trannies with tongue widths between 3/4" and 2".

Patrick Turner.

Cheers
RLaury
http://www.nashaudio.com

Patrick Turner

Sergey Kubushin wrote:

Robert Casey wrote:
Sergey Kubushin wrote:

Looks like people started discussing DIY transformers )

So, does anybody know where a mere DIYer can get some parts for winding his
own transformers? Iron (laminations or how they called)

Burnt out transformers will still have undamaged iron. Getting them
apart would be a
real challenge, though.

The problem is that those transformers are usually impregnated with a
varnish so they are almost impossible to get apart. I want new lams.

The wire and bobbin can be cut off with the tranny in a vice, using a hammer and
old
wood chisel.

The bolts are removed, and then the lams carefully unstuck, by using
a flat bladed paint scraper, it works, I have done plenty like this, and
it takes an hour to free a 2" stack for use again, but without bending the
material.
But reassembly means the stack will be 5% higher, due to
old varnish lumps, but it still is OK for most apps.

Patrick Turner.

---
* KSI@home KOI8 Net The impossible we do immediately. *
* Las Vegas NV, USA Miracles require 24-hour notice. *

Phread

Hey Sergey,

Here's a short list of US transformer mfgrs, courtesy of Google. I have to believe that a few emails or better yet,
polite telephone inquiries would result in a source for the materials you require. From here on it's up to you.

http://www.electrictransformers.net/

If I were looking for these parts, I'd start with Electraprint and tell them Crazy Al in Phoenix sent me. If that
didn't get results I'd tell them Crazy Al from Detroit said their "insurance" is in danger of being cancelled (you're in
Lost Wages, right? They know about crazy people from Detroit in Lost Wages ;-).

What the Hell? The worst that could happen is they say, "NO!", or hang up on you.

You should make the call from a phone booth if you plan to use the Detroit option, but Hey! It's a local call,
shouldn't cost more than a buck or so - you understand you don't want this call to last more than about a minute after
you bring up the Detroit option, right?... ;-)

Crazy Phread from Reno

"Sergey Kubushin" wrote in message ...

snip

Gregg

Behold, Patrick Turner signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

So, does anybody know where a mere DIYer can get some parts for
winding his own transformers? Iron (laminations or how they called)

Burnt out transformers will still have undamaged iron. Getting them
apart would be a
real challenge, though.

The problem is that those transformers are usually impregnated with a
varnish so they are almost impossible to get apart. I want new lams.

The wire and bobbin can be cut off with the tranny in a vice, using a
hammer and old
wood chisel.

I just use a retractable razor knife and sit and chat with the wife while
I do it. Takes about an hour for a 250W class tranny :-)

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Patrick Turner

The wire and bobbin can be cut off with the tranny in a vice, using a
hammer and old
wood chisel.

I just use a retractable razor knife and sit and chat with the wife while
I do it. Takes about an hour for a 250W class tranny :-)

My, my, what a wife you must have! sits and chats while you
re-cycle transformers, now, that's some wife :-o

I once had a girlfriend I took fishin a coupla times.
I caught fukkin nothin after hours, so no wonder she never married me, :-(

The wife before that said that had she not left me when she did,
she would have kicked the ****e out of all my speaker cones.
( just as well she ****ed off ) :-/

But I am gonna hafta try the trick of delaminating trannies
with my next missus, maybe while she peels potatoes, patches my
old blue jeans, sitting around the open fire; seems it helps keep the
domestics runnin smoothly ;-)

Actually, I will try tossing a few of the pile of old trannies into
the fire i have here, and that'll, make it easy to score some lams for the
chokes
I make. Then I'll hafta help cut up tha onion and pumpkin.....
Hell, it might even help the magnetic properties with a bit of annealing.....

Patrick Turner.

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca

Robert Casey

The wire and bobbin can be cut off with the tranny in a vice, using a hammer and
old
wood chisel.

The bolts are removed, and then the lams carefully unstuck, by using
a flat bladed paint scraper, it works, I have done plenty like this, and
it takes an hour to free a 2" stack for use again, but without bending the
material.
But reassembly means the stack will be 5% higher, due to
old varnish lumps, but it still is OK for most apps.

Maybe use paint stripper good for varnish to get those lumps off? Do it
outside,
as that stuff stinks and I at least get a headache from it. A headache
asprin won't
fix.

Robert Casey

Patrick Turner wrote:

The wire and bobbin can be cut off with the tranny in a vice, using a
hammer and old
wood chisel.

I just use a retractable razor knife and sit and chat with the wife while
I do it. Takes about an hour for a 250W class tranny :-)

My, my, what a wife you must have! sits and chats while you
re-cycle transformers, now, that's some wife :-o

I once had a girlfriend I took fishin a coupla times.
I caught fukkin nothin after hours, so no wonder she never married me, :-(

Sounds like she didn't catch any trouser trout.... ;-)

But I am gonna hafta try the trick of delaminating trannies
with my next missus, maybe while she peels potatoes, patches my
old blue jeans, sitting around the open fire; seems it helps keep the
domestics runnin smoothly ;-)

Be sure to put up some music both of you like, using your favorite media
and system.....

Actually, I will try tossing a few of the pile of old trannies into
the fire i have here, and that'll, make it easy to score some lams for the
chokes
I make. Then I'll hafta help cut up tha onion and pumpkin.....
Hell, it might even help the magnetic properties with a bit of annealing.....

Be sure the heat sends the magnetic properties in a good direction, not
a bad direction.
How hot do you need to have it make a difference anyway? Will it get
rid of the varnish?

Gregg

Behold, Patrick Turner signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

The wire and bobbin can be cut off with the tranny in a vice, using a
hammer and old
wood chisel.

I just use a retractable razor knife and sit and chat with the wife
while I do it. Takes about an hour for a 250W class tranny :-)

My, my, what a wife you must have! sits and chats while you re-cycle
transformers, now, that's some wife :-o ................

But I am gonna hafta try the trick of delaminating trannies with my next
missus, maybe while she peels potatoes, patches my old blue jeans,
sitting around the open fire; seems it helps keep the domestics runnin
smoothly ;-)

That's how we do it here :-)

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
Gregg

Behold, Patrick Turner signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

The wife before that said that had she not left me when she did, she
would have kicked the ****e out of all my speaker cones. ( just as well
she ****ed off ) :-/

Gah!

My fist wife threatened to throw a brick through my computer. I buggered
off that night!

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
Patrick Turner

Robert Casey wrote:

The wire and bobbin can be cut off with the tranny in a vice, using a hammer and
old
wood chisel.

The bolts are removed, and then the lams carefully unstuck, by using
a flat bladed paint scraper, it works, I have done plenty like this, and
it takes an hour to free a 2" stack for use again, but without bending the
material.
But reassembly means the stack will be 5% higher, due to
old varnish lumps, but it still is OK for most apps.

Maybe use paint stripper good for varnish to get those lumps off? Do it
outside,
as that stuff stinks and I at least get a headache from it. A headache
asprin won't
fix.

The removal of the varnish is almost impossible from old lams,
and the "lumps" are areas where the vrnish that was once between
lams has decided to stick to only one lam, an its not worth the effort to
try to remove more than the obious large amount piled up where the original
lams had a gap in the stack up.
If the stacking factor falls from 97% when new to 93% using sh lams,
then allow for it in your design calcs.

I don't get a headache from stripping old trannies; they are mostly
well baked and give off no fumes.
Roasting the oldun on a log fire for a few hours could be the go.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner

I once had a girlfriend I took fishin a coupla times.
I caught fukkin nothin after hours, so no wonder she never married me, :-(

Sounds like she didn't catch any trouser trout.... ;-)

Yeah, supposed to be an eating delicacy amoungst females.

But its really hard to fish, and entertain the lady with a one eyed snake,
and not get the lines tangled, without both of you falling out of the fukkin
dinghy.

Patrick Turner.