Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] carol_marra@msn.com is offline

Default altec lansing series 100 (120) speaker driver??

I just had a new hard drive installed on my XP machine, and I can't
get my speakers to work... It's been so long since I got them I don't
remember what I need! The device manager currently tells me there are
no audio devices, though something is showing up under Other Devices
(Multimedia audio controller) and I assume this is the speakers, but
it can't find the driver.... and neither can I when I search the
internet.

What do I need to do?

Thanks,
Carol

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

wrote:
I just had a new hard drive installed on my XP machine, and I can't
get my speakers to work... It's been so long since I got them I don't
remember what I need! The device manager currently tells me there are
no audio devices, though something is showing up under Other Devices
(Multimedia audio controller) and I assume this is the speakers, but
it can't find the driver.... and neither can I when I search the
internet.

What do I need to do?

Thanks,
Carol

First off, I'd contact the person who did the hd replacement before
going any further. If you paid for the service, then he/she should have
put everything back as before.

It's your audio card showing up in device manager. First, delete that
entry and tell XP--via the Control Panel__to search for new hardware.
Hopefully, that process will pull up the correct information and also
ferret out the correct driver, and you're done.

If you already know what sound card you have, and you have the software
which came with it, you can usually just run the installation software.

If not--and the procedure in the first par' doesn't work--you have to
look at it physically and take the numbers off it, then search it on the
internet. Possibly the sound card is integrated into the motherboard.
If so, you only need the motherboard number to search out the
appropriate information.

This is just an overview. Brand and model numbers of the hardware
involved would be necessary to give any more depth.