Erik

Default Similar to Sound Forge's Acoustic Mirror?

For morphing two sounds, check izotope Spectrum (www.izotope.com). They have
a particular mode in their plugin that allows to play with FFT to morph a
sounds source with a wav file.

Erik.

wrote in message
om...
I've been using Sound Forge 6.0's Acoustic Mirror to blend two sounds
(rather than two reverbs as I believe is its normal use). The result
is a curious sort of spectral morphing effect, often magical but
generally unusuable for the blended result is almost always muddy and
washed with excess reverb (even with two very dry sources). Anyway,
has anybody used Acoustic Mirror as I have and found more versatility
with another program? I'm considering picking up Native Instrument's
Spektral Delay or Vokator--both use FFT (and, in fact, I wonder if
it's not the same FFT packed into two differed products). I don't,
however, know if Acoustic Mirror is performing spectral morphing
exactly; perhaps there is another name for what AMirror does? Okay
thanks.

Ricky W. Hunt

"Erik" wrote in message
For morphing two sounds, check izotope Spectrum (www.izotope.com). They

have
a particular mode in their plugin that allows to play with FFT to morph a
sounds source with a wav file.

Look here for the Spectral Plugin Pack: http://www.delaydots.com/

Kyma (http://www.symbolicsound.com/) would probably be useful too.

Bob Cain

wrote:

I've been using Sound Forge 6.0's Acoustic Mirror to blend two sounds
(rather than two reverbs as I believe is its normal use). The result
is a curious sort of spectral morphing effect, often magical but
generally unusuable for the blended result is almost always muddy and
washed with excess reverb (even with two very dry sources). Anyway,
has anybody used Acoustic Mirror as I have and found more versatility
with another program? I'm considering picking up Native Instrument's
Spektral Delay or Vokator--both use FFT (and, in fact, I wonder if
it's not the same FFT packed into two differed products). I don't,
however, know if Acoustic Mirror is performing spectral morphing
exactly; perhaps there is another name for what AMirror does? Okay
thanks.

It's called convolution. It forms each result sample by
multiplying the kernel (the thing pointed to within Acoustic
Mirror) sample by sample with the same number of samples
from your sound file and then adding them all up. It then
slides one sample further into your sound file and does it
again to form the next result sample (and again and again
and again over the length of your sound file.) It does some
sensible scaling for you because the numbers get so big
otherwise. The calculation is actually done utilizing the
FFT/IFFT operations rather than the point by point
multiplies I described but the result is the same and it
goes a lot faster.

Cool Edit Pro also has a convolution function. You can
select any region of sound (not sure how big it allows) to
be the kernel and then convolve that with any region in any
other file.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein