Anthony Morgan

Default 180 gram records, how to spot them?

I have quite a large vinyl collection. I have read quite a few things
over the past few months about 180 gram records. Is it possible to
tell which of my records are 180 gram records.
Is there a clear sign other than having to weigh them which isn't
possible for me?

I am sure this question might come accross as quite dumb, hope you can
fill me in.
S888Wheel

I have quite a large vinyl collection. I have read quite a few things
over the past few months about 180 gram records. Is it possible to
tell which of my records are 180 gram records.
Is there a clear sign other than having to weigh them which isn't
possible for me?

I am sure this question might come accross as quite dumb, hope you can
fill me in.

Tha vast majority of 180 gram reocrds were packaged with some label claiming
they are 180 gram records. I don't think it is something to worry about. If you
are buying new vinyl most of it is 180 gram and labeled as such. IMO there are
other more important factors such as who mastered it and how.
Uptown Audio

They are noticeably thicker and heavier and do not flex as easily.
You'll know when you pick one up. If you don't know if your collection
has any, then it doesn't. Most all records of that quality were also
labeled as such and may well also have other labeling such as
"audiophile quality pressing", "digitally re-mastered from original
analog tapes", "half-speed master", etc. They are usually very unusual
labels like Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab "MFSL", Audioquest, or similar.
I have an entire room full of old vinyl and have only two or three
such records in the entire collection. I by titles for the music and
not the processing. It's nice to get both, but I'd rather pay 1/3 the
cost and get 90% of the sound quality. The best thing to do for
records is to take care of them by keeping them clean, handling them
carefully and playing them on only a nice turntable with a good arm
and cartridge that has been checked for alignment. Nothing especially
fancy or expensive, but nice. I use a Rega myself. Others get decent
results with vintage Dual, Thorens, AR, etc. One of the biggest
improvements you can make to the entire collection is to use a vacuum
record cleaning machine. The results are astounding.
- Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250