jjsmithin

Default 6db of Dyamic Range.....make that much difference?

If two almost identically functioned Audio interfaces have 107 and
113db dynamic range respectively, is that going to make a difference
for the home recording setup?

Im comparing the ESP1010 and Layla 3G. Layla has 113db range. I got
ESI feedback from my query to them that their unit is 107db and is
measured equivalently as to how the Layla is spec'....so its apples to
apples comparison. The $ difference is $100 less for ESP1010.

It seems to me then that it boils down to paying $100 for 1 bit of
improvement for Layla3G. You think thats worth it? $319 vs $414.

Thanks for the input.
Chung

jjsmithin wrote:

If two almost identically functioned Audio interfaces have 107 and
113db dynamic range respectively, is that going to make a difference
for the home recording setup?

Im comparing the ESP1010 and Layla 3G. Layla has 113db range. I got
ESI feedback from my query to them that their unit is 107db and is
measured equivalently as to how the Layla is spec'....so its apples to
apples comparison. The $ difference is $100 less for ESP1010.

It seems to me then that it boils down to paying $100 for 1 bit of
improvement for Layla3G. You think thats worth it? $319 vs $414.

Thanks for the input.

There are a couple of things to consider. One, the products may not meet
specs. Sometimes the one with lower spec may measure better. Two, 107 dB
range is a lot more than what you get out of most microphones and
recording venues, and most likely more than the rest of the recording
chain (mixers, ampsm, etc.). I would not base a buying decision on that
spec. alone.
Ban

Chung wrote:

There are a couple of things to consider. One, the products may not
meet specs. Sometimes the one with lower spec may measure better.
Two, 107 dB range is a lot more than what you get out of most
microphones and recording venues, and most likely more than the rest
of the recording chain (mixers, ampsm, etc.). I would not base a
buying decision on that spec. alone.

Well, I like the boundry-pressure mike Neumann GFM132 for life recording.
They deliver 123dB of dynamic range on the XLR output. I think professional
mikes(TLM193) do have even more range(130dB), but I doubt if the average
home recording user can afford them.
Maybe for normal situations the range is not needed, but if you record
natural sounds 6dB more headroom might make a difference. Even when later
the resolution is reduced to 16bit, you need a lot more range for the
recording and also with the new higher resolution media.
A normal mixer with tone controls will give around 118dB, a special high
quality mixer can reach 124+.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy
John La Grou

On 22 Apr 2005 02:38:25 GMT, Chung wrote:

107 dB dynamic range is a lot more than
what you get out of most microphones and
recording venues.

A good recording microphone and mic preamp combination should yield
over 120dB dynamic range.

If by "recording venue" you're referring to orchestral dynamics,
first desk recording microphones can see over 110dB SPL. We measured a
recent Mahler 2nd at 106dB SPL.

JL
Chung

John La Grou wrote:
On 22 Apr 2005 02:38:25 GMT, Chung wrote:

107 dB dynamic range is a lot more than
what you get out of most microphones and
recording venues.

A good recording microphone and mic preamp combination should yield
over 120dB dynamic range.

That's truly outstanding. Much better than the microphones/preamps I
have .

If by "recording venue" you're referring to orchestral dynamics,
first desk recording microphones can see over 110dB SPL. We measured a
recent Mahler 2nd at 106dB SPL.

JL

But what SPL level is the noise floor at? In other words, do you get 120
dB dynamic range when you are recording in this particular venue using
your microphones and electronics (mixers, amps, etc.)?

By recording venue I mean the room/hall where the performance to be
recorded takes place.

BEAR

jjsmithin wrote:

If two almost identically functioned Audio interfaces have 107 and
113db dynamic range respectively, is that going to make a difference
for the home recording setup?

Im comparing the ESP1010 and Layla 3G. Layla has 113db range. I got
ESI feedback from my query to them that their unit is 107db and is
measured equivalently as to how the Layla is spec'....so its apples to
apples comparison. The $ difference is $100 less for ESP1010.

It seems to me then that it boils down to paying $100 for 1 bit of
improvement for Layla3G. You think thats worth it? $319 vs $414.

Thanks for the input.

This depends... - assuming as others have noted that the specs are
actually reflective of something meaningful and are comparable - ...on
what you are recording! If it is amplified instruments, it probably
makes no real difference since the noise from the
instruments/effects/amps is likley much much higher than the noise floor
of the recording gear. On the other hand if you are recording crickets
in the wild, (etc...) it may well make a real difference in practice.
(multiple overdubs can be a factor too)

The other factor to consider is where your *average* or *mean* levels
are during the expected sessions. If ur average tends to be high, and
the peak levels are ~12-20dB above that, the noise floor probably won't
come into play, imho... the wider the differential between the peak and
the average (the greater the overall dynamic range) the more important
the measured noise floor starts to look.

My 2 cents...

On the other hand, fantastically great recordings were done with
reel-to-reel tape which had nothing like a 107dB down noise floor...

:- )

_-_-bear