DougC

Default What's an LCR bridge do?

Shopping, revisited... -the local electronics shop referred me to an
area business that services and deals in used test equipment, so I went
there and ended up buying a BK 2160 oscilloscope (60 mhz dual) and a
Wavetek #114 function generator. I preferred seeing the things work
before I bought used, and they set both up right next to comparable
bench equipment they used and cross-compared both so I could see for myself.
-----
They also had a LCR bridge on hand, a large original-Flash-Gordon
looking sort of thing, for $700. When people on this newsgroup initially
mentioned "using an LCR bridge" to test a transformer, I had assumed
that this might be a particular circuit with instrumentation attached
somehow, not another piece of equipment. I meant to ask what exactly the
equipment did, but forgot along the way. What's inside that thing?
~
Bob

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:01:53 -0500, DougC wrote:

[...]

Basically, a bunch of bridges!

One quadrant of a bridge is missing, and you get to put your 'mystery' part on
to it. Then by twiddling various knobs, you balance the bridge and 'null the
meter'.

Once the meter is nulled, you read the value of your part from the knob
positions. Or from a digital readout on the newer ones.

You can test coils for L and for Q, and you can test caps for C and for D. Also
you can measure resistors of very low values, sometimes down to 1/100 ohm.

It is important to know the test frequency, however, since you should test using
a frequency of interest. Most use 1KHz, but some have inputs for external fr.

I have a few bridges - I can't live without them! They are a designer tool
really, but also for collectors of surplus parts!

Doug Schultz

$700 is way too much.
in my opinion
I got a Heathkit IB-3128 in a bunch of stuff including 2 oscilloscopes and
meters and boxes of parts and like a whole carload of books from a guys
estate for $400
so if you want one just wait. they are around.
nice if you are winding your own crossover parts and stuff
and really great for measuring Caps accurately.

Doug

"DougC" wrote in message
Shopping, revisited... -the local electronics shop referred me to an area
business that services and deals in used test equipment, so I went there
and ended up buying a BK 2160 oscilloscope (60 mhz dual) and a Wavetek

Sander deWaal

Bob said:

They also had a LCR bridge on hand, a large original-Flash-Gordon
looking sort of thing, for $700. When people on this newsgroup initially
mentioned "using an LCR bridge" to test a transformer, I had assumed
that this might be a particular circuit with instrumentation attached
somehow, not another piece of equipment. I meant to ask what exactly the
equipment did, but forgot along the way. What's inside that thing?
~

Basically, a bunch of bridges!

Looks like someone has a bridge to sell!

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."
Patrick Turner

Basically, a bunch of bridges!

Looks like someone has a bridge to sell!

Is one OK for getting across troubled waters,
or do you need the whole bunch ?

Patrick Turner

Bob

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:28:49 +1000, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Basically, a bunch of bridges!

Looks like someone has a bridge to sell!

Is one OK for getting across troubled waters,
or do you need the whole bunch ?

Patrick Turner

Sometimes it's a bridge too far though...