Jack Dotson

Default Ping Lord Valve!!

I'm new to this group, but after reading a bit it seems your the guy to talk
to when it comes to tubes/amps, etc.

I have a 95 Fender Blues Deluxe and would like to do some upgrades. Some
seem to love this amp and some seem to hate it, but I think the clean
channel on it sound really decent. Also, I've heard of some reliability
issues but mine works fine.

Anyhow, I'd like to get optimum performance and would like some
recommendations on tubes, speaker, etc. that I might try. I really don't
want to do the bias mod because I like being able to change tubes with a
major hassle, not to mention I wouldn't start to know how to bias them.

If you find time to help I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jack

Lord Valve

Jack Dotson wrote:

I'm new to this group, but after reading a bit it seems your the guy to talk
to when it comes to tubes/amps, etc.

I have a 95 Fender Blues Deluxe and would like to do some upgrades. Some
seem to love this amp and some seem to hate it, but I think the clean
channel on it sound really decent. Also, I've heard of some reliability
issues but mine works fine.

Anyhow, I'd like to get optimum performance and would like some
recommendations on tubes, speaker, etc. that I might try. I really don't
want to do the bias mod because I like being able to change tubes with a
major hassle, not to mention I wouldn't start to know how to bias them.

If you find time to help I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jack

Dude, post to alt.guitar.amps; these guys are audiophools, they
don't know anything about makin' music - they just argue about
how to reproduce it. ;-)

Adjustable bias is highly recommended. JJ EL84s sound nice
in Blues Juniors - and it's hard to go wrong with a Weber speaker.

Lord Valve
Expert

Greg Pierce

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 10:02:07 +0000, the highly esteemed Lord Valve
enlightened us with these pearls of wisdom:

Jack Dotson wrote:

[...]

;-)

I aint no audiophool - more like a music afficianado, and I ****in' play
guitar, so there! :-p

--
Greg

--The software said it requires Win2000 or better, so I installed Linux.

Choky

I repair your sheeettty geetah amps,and also play a little ;
but I do not kiss Psychotic Midget's ass.

Real Asshole
AKA
.................................................. ........................
Choky
Prodanovic Aleksandar
YU

"don't use force, "don't use force,
use a larger hammer" use a larger tube
- Choky and IST"
- ZM
"Lord Valve" wrote in message

Jack Dotson wrote:

[...]

Fred Nachbaur

Greg Pierce wrote:
[...]

Dude, post to alt.guitar.amps; these guys are audiophools, they don't know
anything about makin' music - they just argue about how to reproduce it.
;-)

I aint no audiophool - more like a music afficianado, and I ****in' play
guitar, so there! :-p

[...]

Yeah, I know what ya mean. I play badly also.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Greg Pierce

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 16:56:21 +0000, the highly esteemed Fred Nachbaur
enlightened us with these pearls of wisdom:

Greg Pierce wrote:
[...]

Dude, post to alt.guitar.amps; these guys are audiophools, they don't
know anything about makin' music - they just argue about how to
reproduce it. ;-)

I aint no audiophool - more like a music afficianado, and I ****in' play
guitar, so there! :-p

[...]

Yeah, I know what ya mean. I play badly also.

Cheers,
Fred

You ate THE ruler of the theremin tho ;-)

--
Greg

--The software said it requires Win2000 or better, so I installed Linux.

Greg Pierce

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 11:36:30 -0700, the highly esteemed Greg Pierce
enlightened us with these pearls of wisdom:

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 16:56:21 +0000, the highly esteemed Fred Nachbaur
enlightened us with these pearls of wisdom:

Greg Pierce wrote:
[...]

Dude, post to alt.guitar.amps; these guys are audiophools, they don't
know anything about makin' music - they just argue about how to
reproduce it. ;-)

I aint no audiophool - more like a music afficianado, and I ****in'
play guitar, so there! :-p

[...]

Yeah, I know what ya mean. I play badly also.

Cheers,
Fred

You ate THE ruler of the theremin tho ;-)

Umm, I meant you ARE the ruler of the theremin - damn r and t are too
close together on the keyboard :-(

--
Greg

--The software said it requires Win2000 or better, so I installed Linux.

Tim Williams

"Greg Pierce" wrote in message
news
You ate THE ruler of the theremin tho ;-)

Mmm, Clara Rockmore, tasty... :^)

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Shiva

"Choky" wrote in message ...
I repair your sheeettty geetah amps,and also play a little ;
but I do not kiss Psychotic Midget's ass.

Real Asshole
AKA
.................................................. .......................

"Lord Valve" wrote in message

Jack Dotson wrote:

[...]

Hmm... Check RAT out fo' the first time in months, and this is the first
message I read. Haven't worked on guitah' gear for a few month (other than
my own), pretty much for the same reason Pat & Fred & you stopped doin' muso
gear. After dealin' with plenty of attitude, 1-hr-long chats on the phone
to the tune of "what else can I do to make my amp sound cool?" (learn to
play?) & crap for $$$, I've turned a bit sour on the biz side of guitah'
amps myself. Throw in silliness like "but I've red in [name of some 'zine
staffed by has-beens, wanna-bees and never-beens] that [name of some
amp-wiz, usually from LA or such rathole] did the same mod for [name of a
guitah' hero], and i want a sound *just like that*!", and the whole thinng
becomes an exercise in anger management...
But. Jack. The reliability issues are non-issues if you don't play out
much with the amp, if you're not f*cked up when you play out, if you treat
the thing like a chunk of fragile stereo gear, and let it ride on the back
seat of a heated car instead of the trunk. And never let friends use it.
'Course, that's dream-world, hence the sheety reliability. Cheap amps are
cheap for a reason. *I* like Weber (new ones) speakers in those things, but
*you* might like something entirely different. The cost's a bit on the steep
side, too... You don't even mention what kind of stuff you play, what you
use for pickups, boxen, etc. If *anyone* gives you advice without askin'
'bout that stuff - ignore it. have a cheap-o SS amp as a backup - no one
will know the diff in the crowd - they're drunk.
And LV? Just 'coz folks don't post on alt.guitar.bull****.pretender,
doesn't mean they haven't sold more beer & made more noise than you've ever
dreamed about.
-dim

Lord Valve

Shiva wrote:

And LV? Just 'coz folks don't post on alt.guitar.bull****.pretender,
doesn't mean they haven't sold more beer & made more noise than you've ever
dreamed about.
-dim

snore

Lord Valve
Tone Chaperone

VISIT MY WEBSITE: http://www.nebsnow.com/LordValve
I specialize in top quality HAND SELECTED NOS and
current-production vacuum tubes for guitar and
bass amps. Good prices, fast service.
QSC amps, RNC compressors, lots of other good stuff!

Partial Client List: * Derek Trucks/Allman Brothers Band *
* Meatloaf * Catherine Wheel * Yo La Tengo * Let's Go Bowling *
* John Hall * Tyrin Benoit * Eugene Fodor * Dale Bruning *
* Komet Amplification * Dr. Z * Maven Peal * Blockhead Amps *
* Jim Kelley * Balls Amplification * Roccaforte Amplifiers *
* Gerhart Amplification * The Right Half of AGA * Lots More *

NBS Electronics, 230 South Broadway, Denver, CO 80209-1510
Phone orders/tech support after 1:30 PM Denver time at 303-778-1156

VISA - MASTERCARD - PAYPAL

Philo T. Farnsworth sez, "Vacuum tubes kick major ass.
Be a MAN...and buy some TODAY!"