Paul Stamler

Default What the heck is going on?

Hi folks:

Any idea why all these discussions, flames, vituperations and such are
leaking over here from the Linux newsgroups? Originally there was one post
about using Linux for audio; now suddenly there's a plague.

Peace,
Paul

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message ...
Hi folks:

Any idea why all these discussions, flames, vituperations and such are
leaking over here from the Linux newsgroups? Originally there was one post
about using Linux for audio; now suddenly there's a plague.

Peace,
Paul

They were also crossed to rec.audio.opinion

Any chance they get to pee in our sandbox... you know.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

Kurt Albershardt

Paul Stamler wrote:

Any idea why all these discussions, flames, vituperations and such are
leaking over here from the Linux newsgroups? Originally there was one post
about using Linux for audio; now suddenly there's a plague.

Yeah, gives me newfound respect for our normally low level of crossposting flamage here...

Logan Shaw

Mike Rivers wrote:
Maybe the Linux people don't have anyone to argue with since they're
too busy patting themselves on the back for the latest bug fix or
enhancement. Leave the window open and the fly s swarm in.

Or another way of looking at it is that Linux people are, 99.9% of
the time, people who have a stronger than normal opinion about
computing. If they didn't, they'd go the low-resistance route and
just use Windows.

Me, I'm waiting for one of them to say "Here's an image file for a
floppy disk that will boot and format a hard drive." and not make me
learn Linux enough to build and test it myself.

It's not that likely since modern versions of Linux don't fit very
well onto a floppy. And the floppy-only versions of Linux are going
by the wayside now that bootable CD-ROM drives are close to ubiquitous.

I'd actually do it myself if I had a little more time and knew a
little more about Linux. (I'm more into other Unix-like operating
systems; Linux tends to be a bit sloppy for my tastes, although it
does have its uses. Linux is not always the choice of professionals;
it's sort of a semi-professional thing, which is at least better
than consumer crap, but not necessarily great either.)

- Logan
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote in message . ..

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message ...
Hi folks:

Any idea why all these discussions, flames, vituperations and such are
leaking over here from the Linux newsgroups? Originally there was one post
about using Linux for audio; now suddenly there's a plague.

Peace,
Paul

They were also crossed to rec.audio.opinion

Any chance they get to pee in our sandbox... you know.

I'm sorry I opened my mouth.

Paul Stamler

My impression, from skimming the various Linux posts and talking to a couple
of enthusiasts, is that folks who are strongly into Linux share quite a few
personality characteristics with people who are campaigning for Ralph Nader.
I have friends doing both, and the resemblance is uncanny.

Peace,
Paul

lofthouse

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message ...
Hi folks:

Any idea why all these discussions, flames, vituperations and such are
leaking over here from the Linux newsgroups? Originally there was one post
about using Linux for audio; now suddenly there's a plague.

Peace,
Paul

Some kind of serious OS war is hotting up right now. I am a software
developer and just today received an invitation in the post from
Microsoft to attend a seminar on 'the truth about open source'. It
seems like having beaten all the other players, MS sees linux as its
only remaining threat and is waging an attack and the linux guys are
responding. The rest of us are rather like traumatized villagers
caught in the battle zone.

FWIW, I work in a 95% unix shop and we are pushing linux quite hard
right now, but ironically I am one of the few here that knows windows
well, hence I end up working 50/50 on both. I actually quite like
this. I've worked in software for 20 years and never understood the
religious fervour. When I started in the 80's the unix guys used to
argue whether vi or emacs was the best editor and the VMS guys used to
argue whether EDT or TPU was the best editor. Then when they met each
other they argued about whether VMS or Unix was the best OS. It's
always been with us, and unfortunately it gets quite nasty at times.

btw. my wife just bought a new Powerbook and that is a very nice
machine.

LH
philicorda

On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:23:11 -0400, Mike Rivers wrote:

In article writes:

Here's an image file for a bootable CD

Fine. What am I going to do with a CD in one hand and a Mackie hard
disk recorder in the other? No CD drive. That's why I need a floppy.

You want to run Linux on your Mackie HDR??????

I guess it's possible, if it's standard PC hardware in there....
Toms root boot floppy is probably the best option.
http://www.toms.net/rb/

It'll ask you a couple of questions, then give you a command line.

Formatting a disk will be something like....

mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/hda1

(Make a dos file system, Fat32 type, on the first partition (1) of the
first hard drive (hda))

If the disk is totally new and not partitioned yet, you will need to start
fdisk to create a partition....

fdisk /dev/hda

fdisk is not nice to use. While I don't think it's possible to damage a
disk with it, I don't recommend using it if you have anything not backed
up from the machine. cfdisk is much nicer, but I don't know any floppy
distros that come with it.

I'd be interested to know if it works.