Posted to rec.audio.tech
CLM in ND[_2_] CLM in ND[_2_] is offline

Default Akai blank cassette question

I'm planning on recording some music that's only on my computer onto
cassettes for a back-up. One of the reasons is regarding the dubios
durability issues of CD-R's, and also becasue I miss making tapes on
my tape deck, an NAD 613.

My supply of high bias cassettes is a bit low & it seems stores don't
carry them anymore. I remember about 15 years ago, BEST & Montgomery
Wards had the best selection of cassettes, as did many mall music
stores. Now, most stores, even Best Buy, just carry Sony HF or Maxell
UR normal bias tapes. It also seems as though the Maxell XLII-S is no
longer made and Sony doesn't make any high bias cassettes anymore.

Luckily, there are quite a few tape wholesalers online where I can get
a real good price on type II tapes from TDK, Fuji, Maxell, etc... One
site has 90 minute Akai high bias cassettes for only 80 cents each:

http://www.batteriesandbutter.com/Me...tegory_Code=ta

That seems almost too good to be true, a 10 count box for only $8.00.
However, I haven't been able to find any reviews regarding them. I'm
familiar with their tape decks, but not so much with their tapes. Has
anyone ever tried these cassettes? Did you like them? How is the
quality & sound compared to TDK, Maxell, etc... Any info would be
appreciated.

Cameron
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"CLM in ND" wrote in message
[...]

The best cassette for your machine is whatever tape the bias and sensitivity
was set-up for. Tapes vary widely in their formulations, and amongst the
reputable manufacturers there's little difference in their ultimate
performance, but a very large difference in how they perform in your
particular machine. When I used to be a Nakamichi dealer, I would line-up
each machine sold individually for the buyer's preferred tape. We then had
to realign the machines when the the formulation changed, as manufacturers
would always "improve" the tape to make it a bit more sensitive, or with
better hf response etc.

My advice to you is to buy these AKAI tapes as you have very limited choice,
then get your machine properly set-up to use these tapes. It's only the
record side that varies with tape formulation as bias affects hf level and
distortion, and the tape's sensitivity affects Dolby tracking. Setting up
the record side properly will ensure that the tapes you record are recorded
to the Dolby standard and with correct equalization so they will play back
correctly in all machines.

You do need however, to have the replay side checked for accuracy as you
adjust the record side to match the playback which should be standard.

Good luck

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ian Thompson-Bell Ian Thompson-Bell is offline

CLM in ND wrote:
[...]

I would not look for bargain tapes if you are archiving. I would place
Maxell first closely followed by TDK.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Ian Thompson-Bell" wrote in message
CLM in ND wrote:
[...]

I think today's prices have little to do with quality as with disposing of
old stock as cassette use is becoming very small. I don't know, but it's
unlikely that AKAI make their own tape. Much more likely is that it was made
for them by one of the majors. It could, of course be rubbish, but price is
no longer any indicator. In my experience, the best tape around was Tayo
Yuden (That's Tape) in spite of the silly name. Maxell and TDK were pretty
much on a par, BASF made some very good tape, but the settings required to
get the best out of it were very different from those for TDK or Maxell,
consequently none of the predominantly Japanese decks that were around in
cassette's heyday could be used with BASF without a major realignment.

As I recall, Nakamichis and Denons used to be set up for TDK tape, although
worked reasonably well with Maxell, if you're not over-critical. My
experience was that a machine set up for, say, Maxell, would be several dBs
out on TDK at the top end, (say 10kHz) and more noticeably, several dBs out
on Dolby tracking due to the different sensitivity. Dolby C was a great deal
more exacting of level setting than B was, and I am pretty sure the reason
why lots of people didn't like Dolby C was that few cassette recorders were
ever set up accurately enough. My own Nakamichi using Dolby C and That's
metal tape produced recordings that were indistinguishable from the original
on recordings from vinyl or FM radio and sufficiently close to CD for
anything but the most critical use.

Having said all this, I question the OP's use of cassette for archiving as
cassettes wear with use, lose high frequencies with playing unless the
replay machine is scrupulously demagnetised, are subject to print-through,
are mechanically fragile and subject to tape jamming etc. Also, for archive
use, there's a good chance that cassette machines may not be available to
play the recordings in the future. I would archive to CD-R and/or DVD as
there's a very good chance that these will be playable for many years to
come. Even if they are not, it is trivially easy to copy a CD-R to another
future medium without loss of audio quality whilst copying cassettes will
always result in a quality loss.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
James James is offline

No one said it yet so I will, the cd-r is far and away more likely to
outlast the tapes. If you're really concerned you can refresh the cd-rs
periodically and since you're dealing with digital instead of analog each
new copy will be 100% of the previous one. Each subsequent copy of a tape
will be poorer than the previous one. And the tapes will degrade with age
starting almost immediately. If you really want to play tapes that's fine.
But don't think they are the way to go for archival purposes.

CLM in ND" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com is offline

Have you considered archiving to hard drive? That way, you could make
additional hard drive backup(s) quickly and easily. If it's really
important material, you could keep a couple of backup drives and there
would never be loss of audio quality over time. You could also easily
burn CDs of whatever portion of the material you'd want.

CLM in ND wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
CLM in ND[_2_] CLM in ND[_2_] is offline

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to buy some Akai tape, but also
a box or two of TDK as well.

I have a lot of music on hard drive, but I want a backup on a format
in case something should ever happen to my computer. With CD-R's,
you're too reliant on the computer, not nearly as interesting to make
a disc as it is a tape, & I'm still not convinced of their long-term
durability. I've heard too many stories of people not being able to
play CD-R's just a year or two after having burned them.

Everything I'm dubbing onto cassette I'm also going to put on Minidisc
as well. Cassettes & Minidisc are much better for recording than
burning CD's, and are a lot more fun IMHO. Both formats I like a lot
& have never had an issue with either of them. I listened to a
cassette the other day I recorded back in 1993 on a Maxell UR Type I
cassette & it sounded like the day I recorded it. Until the
reliability issues with CD-R's are resolved, I'm going with cassettes
& Minidisc.

Cameron

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"CLM in ND" wrote ...
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to buy some Akai tape, but also
a box or two of TDK as well.

I have a lot of music on hard drive, but I want a backup on a format
in case something should ever happen to my computer. With CD-R's,
you're too reliant on the computer, not nearly as interesting to make
a disc as it is a tape, & I'm still not convinced of their long-term
durability. I've heard too many stories of people not being able to
play CD-R's just a year or two after having burned them.

That is true if you use trash (or unknown) discs. But people
who care about reliability and longevity pay a few extra
pennies (literally) and use the good stuff (Taiyo-Yuden, etc.)
I have found this information helpful...
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
There are other sources of similar info for CDR discs, etc.

Everything I'm dubbing onto cassette I'm also going to put on Minidisc
as well.

Of course MiniDisc is exactly the same as CDR or any other
home-writable optical disc. But you have the added feature
that you are using a lossy codec, and you are dependent on
hardware which is already dead. Seems like the worst of all
choices for backup or archive.

Cassettes & Minidisc are much better for recording than
burning CD's,

I guess it depends on what you consider "better". I can't
think of any area in which either is "better" than CDR.

and are a lot more fun IMHO. Both formats I like a lot
& have never had an issue with either of them. I listened to a
cassette the other day I recorded back in 1993 on a Maxell UR Type I
cassette & it sounded like the day I recorded it. Until the
reliability issues with CD-R's are resolved, I'm going with cassettes
& Minidisc.

Good luck. If "fun" is your major consideration, go for it.
But don't confuse it with any kind of legitimate "backup".

Posted to rec.audio.tech
CLM in ND[_2_] CLM in ND[_2_] is offline

On Apr 30, 11:24*am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"CLM in ND" *wrote ...

[...]

By "better", I was referring to ease of editing compared to CD-R,
which has none. I think Minidisc's sound quality is as good as CD-R,
and that cassette, with using the right tape, bias, & NR, sounds
almost as good. I used CD-R's for years & I got fed up with not being
able to edit or start over if an error occured. Sure, you can buy a
50 count spindle, but if you're down to your last few, having one
ruined is a pain. That's one aspect about CD-R's that I have a real
issue with & is a problem I never had with cassettes or Minidisc.
Sure, you can get CD-RW's, but you have to erase the whole thing.

Maybe I should just use my CD recorder stereo component rather than
the computer; that may have a lot to do with my frustrations. I could
do the mastering & editing on cassette or Minidisc, than burn it onto
CD-R. Plus, I can use the recording level controls if I need to. Can
anyone recommend a high-quality CD-R that will record in a sCD-R
component deck, not just a computer?

Cameron
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

On Apr 30, 12:12*pm, CLM in ND wrote:
[...]

Minidisk is simply another optical drive just like cdr. And it's
pretty much bit the dust as a ongoing format. Not to mention it is
significantly compressed, also with an algorithm that is not
mainstream. Making an analog or further compressed backup of what
ever it is you have on your hard drive is not a back up. Not even
close. If you have a digital copy of music then you want to make an
extact replica of that digital file. Cdr or dvdr is going to be your
simplest choice. Another hard drive preferably on another computer is
another way to go. But what you are proposing to do is not even close
to a good backup.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

CLM in ND wrote:
: I have a lot of music on hard drive, but I want a backup on a format
: in case something should ever happen to my computer.

I too have a lot of music on hard drive, and I periodically copy the
entire hard drive to an external hard drive, and keep the copy at a
different location (at work, actually).

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"CLM in ND" wrote ...
By "better", I was referring to ease of editing compared
to CD-R, which has none.

Audio in digital form (whether stored on CDR or any other
digital media) is infinitely easier to edit than MD or cassette.
(We're well into the digital era in case you hadn't noticed.)

I think Minidisc's sound quality is as good as CD-R,
and that cassette, with using the right tape, bias, & NR,
sounds almost as good.

Then you don't need any help or advice from us.

I used CD-R's for years & I got fed up with not being
able to edit or start over if an error occured. Sure, you
can buy a 50 count spindle, but if you're down to your last
few, having one ruined is a pain.

They cost less than cassettes. They are also more compact than
cassettes and easier to store Your argument seems completely
specious.

That's one aspect about CD-R's that I have a real issue with
& is a problem I never had with cassettes or Minidisc. Sure,
you can get CD-RW's, but you have to erase the whole thing.

Then your issue is mainly philosophical. There is a different news-
group for philosophical discussion (rec.audio.opinion) This is a
technical newsgroup (rec.audio.tech)

Maybe I should just use my CD recorder stereo component
rather than the computer; that may have a lot to do with my
frustrations. I could do the mastering & editing on cassette
or Minidisc, than burn it onto CD-R. Plus, I can use the
recording level controls if I need to.

If you wish. Note that most of us were more than happy to put
behind us all the problems with analog recording and are quite
happy here in the digital age. To have to deal with the issues
of analog recording AND the dying technology, AND the
decaying (and rapidly becoming unrepairable) equipment AND
the disappearing sources of media is just way too much to bear.
Good luck.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

CLM in ND wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to buy some Akai tape, but also
a box or two of TDK as well.

I have a lot of music on hard drive, but I want a backup on a format
in case something should ever happen to my computer. With CD-R's,
you're too reliant on the computer

Not if you archive as audio CD !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
CLM in ND[_2_] CLM in ND[_2_] is offline

On Apr 30, 12:34*pm, Eeyore
wrote:
CLM in ND wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. *I'm going to buy some Akai tape, but also
a box or two of TDK as well.

I have a lot of music on hard drive, but I want a backup on a format
in case something should ever happen to my computer. *With CD-R's,
you're too reliant on the computer

Not if you archive as audio CD !

Graham

That sounds like a plan.

My apologies if my post wasn't very technically savvy, but I always
liked the way a well-made cassette sounded. I really just wanted to
know if anyone on this forum had used Akai high bias cassettes.

Cameron
Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , CLM in ND wrote:
On Apr 30, 12:34=A0pm, Eeyore
wrote:
CLM in ND wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. =A0I'm going to buy some Akai tape, but also=

a box or two of TDK as well.

I have a lot of music on hard drive, but I want a backup on a format
in case something should ever happen to my computer. =A0With CD-R's,
you're too reliant on the computer

Not if you archive as audio CD !

Graham

That sounds like a plan.

My apologies if my post wasn't very technically savvy, but I always
liked the way a well-made cassette sounded. I really just wanted to
know if anyone on this forum had used Akai high bias cassettes.

I never like high bias because they had poorer frequency response.
The sound is much the way you adjust the bias. My old favorite was BASF
low bias, forgot the name. It had the best response period. You could also see right
through the tape.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Apr 30, 1:15*pm, (GregS) wrote:

I never like high bias because they had poorer frequency response.
The sound is much the way you adjust the bias. My old favorite was BASF
low bias, forgot the name. It had the best response period. You could also see right
through the tape.

greg

That's interesting. Can you tell me what setting you adjusted the
bias at? My NAD 613 has a bias adjustment control on it.

Cameron
Posted to rec.audio.tech
CLM in ND[_2_] CLM in ND[_2_] is offline

On Apr 30, 5:20*am, "Serge Auckland"
wrote:

My advice to you is to buy these AKAI tapes as you have very limited choice,
then get your machine properly set-up to use these tapes. It's only the
record side that varies with tape formulation as bias affects hf level and
distortion, and the tape's sensitivity affects Dolby tracking. Setting up
the record side properly will ensure that the tapes you record are recorded
to the Dolby standard and with correct equalization so they will play back
correctly in all machines.

You do need however, to have the replay side checked for accuracy as you
adjust the record side to match the playback which should be standard.

Good luck

S.

Thank you, I'll give that a try.

Cameron

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"GregS" wrote in message
In article
, CLM in
ND wrote:
On Apr 30, 12:34=A0pm, Eeyore
wrote:
CLM in ND wrote:
[...]

ALL tapes, whether high bias or low bias need the right amount of bias to
get the right balance between distortion and output level. As few cassette
machines had adjustable record EQ, getting the bias right also allowed the
frequency response to come out flat(ish) You can't say that high bias tapes
had a poor frequency response, they may have had *in your machine* as it
wasn't set up correctly. BASF was capable of excellent results, but its bias
requirements were low and most if not all Japanese made recorders would
over-bias the tape resulting in higher distortion and poor HF performance.
It also had a relatively low MOL compared to TDK and Maxell, and much lower
MOL than That's. However, if the machine was set up correctly, it did have a
very flat response with minimal dropouts.

Bias setting is not the only parameter that has to be adjusted, sensitivity
is most important if Dolby tracking is to be correct, and ideally, record EQ
should be adjusted independently of bias, i.e. the bias control should not
be used to flatten the frequency response, although it often was, in the
absence of proper adjustments.

After having made the mechanical adjustments like azimuth and tracking
position, and set up the replay side, the steps for setting up the record
side is first to bias for maximum sensitivity at 400Hz (some people prefer
to overbias by 1 or 2 dB, but I would only do that for a R-R machine running
at 38cm/s, not for a cassette.) Then adjust the record sensitivity to get
the correct Dolby level in accordance with the Dolby chip's instructions.
Then, adjust the record equaliser if there is one to get the flattest
response, then repeat the three steps as on some machines there are
interactions between the settings.

In order to do this you need a selection of test tapes, a signal generator,
millivoltmeter and scope.

Or you could just record everything on computer, edit it simply and burn a
CD. But then, where's the fun...........

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "Serge Auckland" wrote:
"GregS" wrote in message
In article
, CLM in
ND wrote:
On Apr 30, 12:34=A0pm, Eeyore
wrote:
CLM in ND wrote:
[...]

The big difference betwen low and hi bias tapes is the S/N ratio as I saw it
and of course cost. I was into cost.

greg

Bias

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

"CLM in ND" wrote in message
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to buy some Akai tape, but also
a box or two of TDK as well.

I have a lot of music on hard drive, but I want a backup on a format
in case something should ever happen to my computer. With CD-R's,
you're too reliant on the computer, not nearly as interesting to make
a disc as it is a tape, & I'm still not convinced of their long-term
durability. I've heard too many stories of people not being able to
play CD-R's just a year or two after having burned them.

Yeah, and I have a buddy whose 8-tracks don't sound right anymore after he
left them on the back deck of his Gremlin all summer.

But really, you can't be serious claiming that cassettes are "almost" as
good as CD's. They are not. They have less usable bandwidth (~60dB vs.
96dB for CD), are more fragile, more specific-tape-deck dependent, they
stretch, get magnitized, can't be copied without degredation of signal, are
subject to wow and flutter, and the list goes on. If you use good quality
media, CD's or DVD's are the way to go. Also, much of the hoopla about poor
quality CD's relates to their ability to be played back in a standard CD
player. Whereas your run-of-the-mill under $100 audio CD player gets one
pass at the information, a CD reader in a computer can take its' leisurely
time trying multiple passes and having more processing power and clock
cycles to correct errors. It's VERY rare that Cd's become unreadable on a
computer. Also, in the same amount of time and for the same cost (let's
assume your time is worth $0.80/hr), you could make 5 copies of each CD,
thus virtually guaranteeing you a reliable backup. As an added bonus you
don't have to store them in a temperature- and humidity-controlled vault to
ensure longevity, just keep them off the back deck of the Prius.

Everything I'm dubbing onto cassette I'm also going to put on Minidisc
as well. Cassettes & Minidisc are much better for recording than
burning CD's, and are a lot more fun IMHO. Both formats I like a lot
& have never had an issue with either of them. I listened to a
cassette the other day I recorded back in 1993 on a Maxell UR Type I
cassette & it sounded like the day I recorded it. Until the
reliability issues with CD-R's are resolved, I'm going with cassettes
& Minidisc.

Why don't you play your digital files through your computer speakers and
record them with a mic onto your cassettes, that sounds REALLY fun. But
wait, fun isn't really what we're after here... or is it?

That's great that your cassettes have held up so well, but they'll never
have the fidelity of a CD. They can't.

You seem to have an affection for technologies that have gone by the
wayside; maybe you should be looking for a DVD writer that writes only
HD-DVD... it'd get you into the digital domain and still be obsolete!
Win-win.

There is a learning curve to digital editing and mastering... the commercial
recording industry went through it in the mid to late 80's and there were
some horrible CD's released. But... today's software has greatly simplified
the editing and production of digital media. It may seem daunting, but
honestly it's worth it to learn how to do digital. Believe me, it IS
easier than analog tape work.

One last thing that strikes me is you mention ruined CD's. If you're
talking about CD's which fail during the recording process due to such
things as buffer underruns, you need to upgrade your hardware. I haven't
had a CD fail during burning for many years. The write drives have
good-sized hardware buffer, and the software maintains another buffer.
Also, the I/O bus speeds and memory access speeds have increased
dramatically, making it pretty tough to bottleneck a 48x CD write
datastream.

One last thing about Minidisks. Whereas cassettes were an industry standard
for many years, perhaps a decade, minidisks never made it big. As such,
there is an extremely limited supply of equipment in existence. If you're
worried about longevity, I'd be thinking about moving all your Minidisk
material onto some type of media which is readable on current hardware.
Otherwise when you pull out the minidisk you made today in 2023 (analogous
to your 1993 cassette) you may find that the last working minidisk player
was sold on eBay in 2015. Just something to think about.

Dave

Posted to rec.audio.tech
CLM in ND[_2_] CLM in ND[_2_] is offline

On Apr 30, 4:15*pm, "Dave" wrote:
"CLM in ND" wrote in ...

[...]

Minidisc's are still readily available & have a loyal following.
Tascam makes a Minidisc deck & there are several multitrack
Portastudio-type recorders on the market. True, it never caught on as
a consumer product, but I like my Pioneer very much. And, unlike a
burned CD, the discs can be re-recorded on many times & can be
edited. I freely admit, it's a niche product.

What I meant by ruining CD's is if the music isn't cued up right, or
you select the wrong song, etc.,, i.e. human error, it gets burned on
& you can't correct it. If you need to only correct a small portion
of the disc, you can't & have to start all over. It happened to me
this weekend & that's what got me to thinking about using cassettes
again. Maybe I went a little overboard using the term "archive"; I
realize the limitations of cassettes. However, I still like cassettes
& I'm going back to them. Not exclusively, but more than I have in
years. I didn't say it was easier than digital, but I do miss the
effort in making tapes, and I'm going to use my CD deck more than my
computer. Computers make it too easy; too boring. You don't have a
connection with the disc you're making; the effort isn't there. Maybe
it has to do with setting the recording level, I don't know.

My intent wasn't to battle over specs; I know what they are. Some
people prefer tubes to solid state, LP's to CD's, etc... I really
just wanted to know if anyone had tried Akai cassettes. However, I'm
going to research the CD-R's on the market to see if any offer any
kind of guarentee or claims of long-life.

Cameron
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"CLM in ND" wrote in message

I'm planning on recording some music that's only on my
computer onto cassettes for a back-up. One of the
reasons is regarding the dubios durability issues of
CD-R's,

The dubious durability issues of CD-Rs are primarily due to crappy media,
crappy burning, and careless storage.

As far as media goes, you need to learn how to find discs by Taiyo Yuden.

The usual fire drill is to burn at a lower-than-rated speed (I currenly use
16x), verify every burn, and then store in the proverbial cool, dry space.
If you are really paranoid, burn multiple copies and store the redudant
copies in two vastly different places.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

"CLM in ND" wrote in message
Minidisc's are still readily available & have a loyal following.
Tascam makes a Minidisc deck & there are several multitrack
Portastudio-type recorders on the market. True, it never caught on as
a consumer product, but I like my Pioneer very much. And, unlike a
burned CD, the discs can be re-recorded on many times & can be
edited. I freely admit, it's a niche product.

What about CD-RW? They're re-writable and readable in pretty much 100% of
modern disc players. Same exact technology as Minidisc.

[...]

Okay, it's personal preferance. Myself, I've got a SS preamp driving a tube
amp. I've got a CD player with a turntable next to it and a sizeable
collection of records to complement my CD's and computer files.

Being over 40, I have fond memories of making mix tapes, customizing them
for a particular event or a particular person. The whole process is done in
real time and you listen while you record; it's very tactile with lots of
interaction required, and you end up with a pile of albums and cassettes
scattered around you. It's very unlike dragging icons here and there
followed by clicking "burn" and 25 seconds later the CD drive tray slides
out, DONE. I think what you're talking about is more about the art of
making a tape, or the satisfaction you get from the _process_ of making a
tape, than the end result. You know, the whole journey vs. the destination
paradigm.

Sorry, don't know anything about Akai tapes... as others have noted, they're
almost for sure made by one of the big manufacturers of the day. Set up
your deck properly, grab a Fresca, and burn... oops, I mean tape.

Have fun.

Dave

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, CLM in ND wrote:

My apologies if my post wasn't very technically savvy, but I always
liked the way a well-made cassette sounded. I really just wanted to
know if anyone on this forum had used Akai high bias cassettes.

FOrget about sound, do you really like the serial nature of a cassette?

With records, it was easy to lift the tone arm and move to a different
track. But that period when records faded and I didn't yet have a CD
player was pretty awful. Ended up buying commercial cassettes, and even
with a tape deck that allowed skipping to the next track, it was a real
drag unless I just wanted to listen to the whole cassette.

I didn't get a CD player until 1997, and the thing that surprised me
so much, after a couple of decades of hearing CDs touted as the ultimate
in "high fidelity", was that it was a very useable medium. Easy to skip
tracks, not having to turn it over to get to the other side, and of course
easy to control the player remotely. It's no wonder CDs were so
successful, showing up in $19.00 boomboxes and such; they were a vastly
better medium than cassettes.

MP3s have taken over because they are even more convenient, and that's
what people want.

What seems to be missing from this discussion is where is your original
source material, that should be the "archive"? I still have my record
collection, I have a decent collection of CDs, and I've even been buying
used commercial cassettes with the intent to convert to digital for my
own use. My "archives" are those sources. If anything happens to the
digital stuff, I can always convert again, tedious as it may be.

But, the point of converting to digital is to get away from those
sometimes tedious mediums. I don't want to go back. And if I took
a digital audio file and recorded the audio output to cassette, it
would be worse than those original sources.

If you really want to use cassettes for "archiving" then build an
interface so you can save audio files to cassette in digital form.
That will take a lot of tape, the audio files being so big, but
at least you don't mess with the sound when "archiving".

Michael

Posted to rec.audio.tech
CLM in ND[_2_] CLM in ND[_2_] is offline

On May 1, 9:42*am, "Dave" wrote:
"CLM in ND" wrote in message
news:a81689ed-9007-414b-a310-7faed9be9__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__END_MASK_i ...
[...]

I have a CD deck, so I may just record in real-time on that from now
on. One thing I should have made more clear in my original post is
that I don't think cassettes are better than CD's the record labels
put out, nor do I think they're easier to use than CD's. My whole
issue is the durability of CD-R's. I haven't had any issues with
tapes or MD's I've made & I liked that with cassette or MD, if I
goofed, I could just re-record that portion & didn't have to start
over. That is why, from a recording standpoint, I like cassettes & MD
over CD-R.

One other thing I should mention is my cassette deck, NAD 613, has a
feature called Play Trim. Play Trim is a feature that improves the
sound of warped tapes, tapes made on other machines, etc... It was
developed by NAD & Dolby. I don't need to use this feature on all my
tapes, but it does help a lot when I need it. My MD deck has digital
noise reduction & can act as a stand alone D/A converter. I run my
tape deck thru it & the digital NR will get rid of any other noise
Dolby misses. I was listening to a tape last night w/headphones,
cranked the volume way up, and it was quiet; no hiss. This set up
works very nice for cassettes.

Cameron

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

On May 1, 11:57 am, CLM in ND wrote:
I have a CD deck, so I may just record in real-time on that from now
on. One thing I should have made more clear in my original post is
that I don't think cassettes are better than CD's the record labels
put out, nor do I think they're easier to use than CD's. My whole
issue is the durability of CD-R's.

But the singular advantage to ANY digital recordable media
such as CDR is that if you are concerned about the media's
longenvity, once a year, pop it into your local computer
and simply clone it. The new copy will have NO loss whatsoever,
something that is absolutely NOT true of cassette-to-cassette
copies. And before you answer that, I think you are seriously
overoptimistic about the longevity of cassettes in comparison
to CDrs, exsepcially when you consider the lifetime of digital
meida is essentially extended by cloning without theoretical
limits.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On May 1, 11:10*am, wrote:
[...]

I wasn't going to keep making cassette-to-cassette transfers; my whole
purpose was to just have another backup source, not the only & end
all, just another option. Again, I probably should have made that
more clear in my initial post.

If I had to do it all over again I would have just mentioned the Akai
cassettes & nothing else.

Cameron
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On May 1, 2:44*pm, CLM in ND wrote:
On May 1, 11:10*am, wrote:

[...]

Cameron- Hide quoted text -

Too late. We must bring you into the digital age. You will be
assimulated, yukyuk.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

CLM in ND wrote:
: Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to buy some Akai tape, but also
: a box or two of TDK as well.

: I have a lot of music on hard drive, but I want a backup on a format
: in case something should ever happen to my computer. With CD-R's,
: you're too reliant on the computer, not nearly as interesting to make
: a disc as it is a tape, & I'm still not convinced of their long-term
: durability. I've heard too many stories of people not being able to
: play CD-R's just a year or two after having burned them.

: Everything I'm dubbing onto cassette I'm also going to put on Minidisc
: as well. Cassettes & Minidisc are much better for recording than
: burning CD's, and are a lot more fun IMHO. Both formats I like a lot
: & have never had an issue with either of them.

if you're determined to archive your music on an obsolete, lossy,
fragile medium with a shrinking base of equipment that can play it, why
not go for the ultimate, and record out to wax cylinders?

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On May 1, 10:41*pm, Andrew Barss wrote:

if you're determined to archive your music on an obsolete, lossy,
fragile medium with a shrinking base of equipment that can play it, why
not go for the ultimate, and record out to wax cylinders?

* * * * -- Andy Barss

Because wax cylinders aren't in stereo & Maxell quit making them..

Cameron

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"CLM in ND" wrote ...
Andrew Barss wrote:
if you're determined to archive your music on an obsolete, lossy,
fragile medium with a shrinking base of equipment that can play it, why
not go for the ultimate, and record out to wax cylinders?

Because wax cylinders aren't in stereo & Maxell quit making them..

Better stock up on cassettes, then, because the day when
they stop making them is visible on the horizion.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Fri, 2 May 2008, Richard Crowley wrote:

"CLM in ND" wrote ...
Andrew Barss wrote:
if you're determined to archive your music on an obsolete, lossy,
fragile medium with a shrinking base of equipment that can play it, why
not go for the ultimate, and record out to wax cylinders?

Because wax cylinders aren't in stereo & Maxell quit making them..

Better stock up on cassettes, then, because the day when
they stop making them is visible on the horizion.

It's already sort of happening. I don't know about manufacture, but I
look around and I'm not seeing many blank cassettes in the stores. I
didn't even realize it until some point that had to be well after
they started disappearing.

Michael

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

"Michael Black" wrote in message
ample.org...
It's already sort of happening. I don't know about manufacture, but I
look around and I'm not seeing many blank cassettes in the stores. I
didn't even realize it until some point that had to be well after
they started disappearing.

I was surprised that I'm not having that easy a time finding analog tapes
for my VIDEO camera, which is what, maybe, 8 years old?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Capik Ron Capik is offline

"Green Xenon [Radium]" wrote:

...snip.....

Magnetic cassette stink badly like human kakaa.

....and yet they are an "analog" media.
Go figure. ;-)

Later...

Ron Capik cynic in training

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Green Xenon [Radium]" wrote:

Ron Capik wrote:

"Green Xenon [Radium]" wrote:

Magnetic cassette stink badly like human kakaa.

...and yet they are an "analog" media.

So?

You have yet to address [i.e.: comprehend] the convergence
of analog and digital.
....and perchance other(s) of your other [various] knowledge gaps.

So, would you care to quantify your response in more rational
terms?

Later [or not] ...

Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Green Xenon [Radium]" wrote:

Ron Capik wrote:

You have yet to address [i.e.: comprehend] the convergence
of analog and digital.
...and perchance other(s) of your other [various] knowledge gaps.

So, would you care to quantify your response in more rational
terms?

Cassettes are the worst analog audio storage devices. The audio tape
described in the link below, is the best analog audio storage device.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.p...11a5232b2dccc4

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Green Xenon [Radium]" wrote:

Ron Capik wrote:

You have yet to address [i.e.: comprehend] the convergence
of analog and digital.
...and perchance other(s) of your other [various] knowledge gaps.

So, would you care to quantify your response in more rational
terms?

Cassettes are the worst analog audio storage devices. The audio tape
described in the link below, is the best analog audio storage device.
...snip...

Sorry, non responsive. Please try again (In your
own words.)

Later...

Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sat, 03 May 2008 00:41:47 GMT, Ron Capik
wrote:

Later [or not] ...

This is a particularly attractive troll. Ulysses quality. I (almost)
feel bad when campaigning against it's tiresomeness. But somebody has
to critique this crapola, and we *all* better get used to it. It's
the new-ish (not really; only in the eye of the posters) metadata.

Yeah, it's tiresome, and yeah, it's trivial, but the Green Whatever
gets a lot of responses. Not bad for a grad student.

Much thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck
"It's for compatibility with 8-Track."
-scott

Akai audio cassette question CLM in ND[_2_] Pro Audio 3 May 4th 08 09:14 PM
AKAI cassette deck Mike L Tech 1 November 13th 06 10:49 AM
FS: Akai GX-M50 3-head Cassette Deck Cartrivision1 Marketplace 0 June 26th 05 01:24 AM
FA: AKAI CS-703D Cassette Recorder - NEAR MINT Paul Sherman Marketplace 0 April 8th 04 12:53 PM
trouble with akai cassette deck trombone student Tech 2 August 2nd 03 04:34 PM