Posted to rec.audio.high-end
claus claus is offline

Default 96kHz/24bit format Question

I am in the process of "digitizing" my classical LP collection. I am using
the E-MU 404 and the PatchMix software to create 96kHz/24bits files; I then
use Total Recorder Pro to create WMA lossless files (VBR Quality 100, 96
kHz, 24 bits).

The resulting files are played back using a 96/24 outboard decoder feeding
my pre/amp and Martin Logan Aeon-i electrostatic speakers... and the sound
is knocking my socks off

I am also burning the files to dvds for archival purposes - and I am
wondering if there are any kind of consumer DVD players that would be
capable of playing back these 96kHz/24bit format files.

I know that some players will play "non-lossless" WMA files if they are
burned on a CD....but that does not work with WMA lossless files burned on a
DVD, which is what I am looking for. Are there any Audio-DVD players that
can do the trick?

Thanks in advance for any replies..

cvj (AudioNut)

[excessive sig deleted -- deb]
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"claus" wrote in message

I am in the process of "digitizing" my classical LP
collection. I am using the E-MU 404 and the PatchMix
software to create 96kHz/24bits files; I then use Total
Recorder Pro to create WMA lossless files (VBR Quality
100, 96 kHz, 24 bits).

The resulting files are played back using a 96/24
outboard decoder feeding my pre/amp and Martin Logan
Aeon-i electrostatic speakers... and the sound is
knocking my socks off

I am also burning the files to dvds for archival purposes
- and I am wondering if there are any kind of consumer
DVD players that would be capable of playing back these
96kHz/24bit format files.

I understand that it is not difficult to burn your own 24/96 DVD-A format
discs. Here is some relevant softwa

http://www.discwelder.com/

There was also a 24/96 format that some older consumer DVD players could
play, but it might be better to stick with newer technology.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
claus claus is offline

Yes, Discwelder will do the job - but only if you have the Meridian Lossless
encoder which I believe costs some $2,500., somewhat out of reach for most
people :-)

Am I wrong?

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"claus" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] gfoxes@gmail.com is offline

On Feb 26, 8:48 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"claus" wrote in message

[...]

I use wavlab (www.steinberg.net) to create the DVD-A's, and a Yamaha
DVD-C750 5-Disc DVD Changer to play them.

This lets me create 192Kbit/24bit 2ch DVD-A disks (I use a M-Audio
Audiophile 192 for recording, a little noisy but cheap)

If you really want to get serious you will need to spend about $5k for
the software + MLP encoder to make 5.1 96k/24bit disks.

I looked at diskwelder and decided to go with wavelab to get a more
usefull software package.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"claus" wrote in message

Yes, Discwelder will do the job - but only if you have
the Meridian Lossless encoder which I believe costs some
$2,500., somewhat out of reach for most people :-)

Am I wrong?

MLP is not necessarily needed to record DVD-A discs. My understanding that
MLP is only required for recording very long works, or very high sample rate
or multichannel recordings. In the first case, the MLP simply lets you get
more time on the disc. In the second 2 cases, a 5.1 or 24/192 2-channel
uncompressed recording can possibly exceed the data transfer limits of the
DVD-A format.

It is my understanding that 2 channel 24/96 can be recorded in DVD-A format
without MLP. You might want to confirm this with the Discwelder people.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

Diskwelder Bronze can record two channel DVD-A at 96/24 and 5.1 channel
DVD-A at 48/24. You don't need any kind of codec coder. It costs less than
$100: what you get is plain vanilla -- no menus, no graphics -- just the
signal in a usuable format.

Harry

"claus" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Arny Krueger wrote:
"claus" wrote in message

Yes, Discwelder will do the job - but only if you have
the Meridian Lossless encoder which I believe costs some
$2,500., somewhat out of reach for most people :-)

Am I wrong?

MLP is not necessarily needed to record DVD-A discs. My understanding that
MLP is only required for recording very long works, or very high sample rate
or multichannel recordings. In the first case, the MLP simply lets you get
more time on the disc. In the second 2 cases, a 5.1 or 24/192 2-channel
uncompressed recording can possibly exceed the data transfer limits of the
DVD-A format.

Yes, MLP's just a lossless compression scheme.

It is my understanding that 2 channel 24/96 can be recorded in DVD-A format
without MLP. You might want to confirm this with the Discwelder people.

I have confirmed this by viewing the format data on a dozen or so DVD-A discs --
for the 2-channel DVD-A format, a few show 24/96 LPCM (e.g. Queen 'Night at the Opera'),
others show 24/96 or 24/192 PPCM (=MLP PCM) (e.g. Neil Young 'Harvest')
..

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
audiofox audiofox is offline

On Feb 27, 9:50 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"claus" wrote in message

Yes, Discwelder will do the job - but only if you have
the Meridian Lossless encoder which I believe costs some
$2,500., somewhat out of reach for most people :-)

Am I wrong?

MLP is not necessarily needed to record DVD-A discs. My understanding that
MLP is only required for recording very long works, or very high sample rate
or multichannel recordings. In the first case, the MLP simply lets you get
more time on the disc. In the second 2 cases, a 5.1 or 24/192 2-channel
uncompressed recording can possibly exceed the data transfer limits of the
DVD-A format.

It is my understanding that 2 channel 24/96 can be recorded in DVD-A format
without MLP. You might want to confirm this with the Discwelder people.

I only have real world experience with wavelab.. But I would think
diskwelder would yield similar results.

You can make a 2ch DVD-A all the way up to 192/24 without MLP.
You also can make a 5.1 DVD-A up to 48/24 without MLP.

You only need MLP to create 5.1 96/24 DVD-A.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
claus claus is offline

Amy - you are absolutely right.

I downloaded the demo version of DiscWelder Bronze and recorded my first
DVD-Audio disc. It was so easy that I could not believe it.

My misunderstanding was caused by numerous references on the internet to the
DVD-A format and the Meridian Lossless Codec.

Thanks to all for the many helpful responses to my initial post.

Claus