Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Lance Hoffmeyer

Default 8/4 ohm amp with 12 ohm speakers?

Hey all,

I have been thinking about getting a pair of Zu Tone speakers and want
to make sure they won't damage my Melody SP3 tube amp if I do. The Zu
speakers are rated at 12 ohms and the Melody SP3 has 4 and 8 ohm speaker
hookups. My understanding is that one doesn't want speakers with less
resistance than the amp (2 ohm speakers with 4 ohm amp) or else the amp
could be damaged. Will 12 ohm speakers damage the amp? Should I plug
the speakers into the 4 ohm slot or the 8 ohm slot?

Lance
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On 1 Jul 2006 16:28:47 GMT, Lance Hoffmeyer
wrote:

Hey all,

I have been thinking about getting a pair of Zu Tone speakers and want
to make sure they won't damage my Melody SP3 tube amp if I do. The Zu
speakers are rated at 12 ohms and the Melody SP3 has 4 and 8 ohm speaker
hookups. My understanding is that one doesn't want speakers with less
resistance than the amp (2 ohm speakers with 4 ohm amp) or else the amp
could be damaged. Will 12 ohm speakers damage the amp? Should I plug
the speakers into the 4 ohm slot or the 8 ohm slot?

The 8ohm tap should be fine and no damage would be expected.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
BEAR BEAR is offline

Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:
Hey all,

I have been thinking about getting a pair of Zu Tone speakers and want
to make sure they won't damage my Melody SP3 tube amp if I do. The Zu
speakers are rated at 12 ohms and the Melody SP3 has 4 and 8 ohm speaker
hookups. My understanding is that one doesn't want speakers with less
resistance than the amp (2 ohm speakers with 4 ohm amp) or else the amp
could be damaged. Will 12 ohm speakers damage the amp? Should I plug
the speakers into the 4 ohm slot or the 8 ohm slot?

Lance

A higher impedance will do no harm.
An open impedance - no speakers however is not good for tube amps.
Has no effect on solid state amps.

Use the 8ohm taps... you will be able to get higher volume levels on the
8 ohm taps, since it is a voltage ratio at play in the transformer.
The lower voltage tap being the 4 ohm tap (higher current though).

_-_-bear
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] outsor@city-net.com is offline

How about the 8 and 4 taps in series?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MC MC is offline

"Lance Hoffmeyer" wrote in message
Hey all,

I have been thinking about getting a pair of Zu Tone speakers and want
to make sure they won't damage my Melody SP3 tube amp if I do. The Zu
speakers are rated at 12 ohms and the Melody SP3 has 4 and 8 ohm speaker
hookups. My understanding is that one doesn't want speakers with less
resistance than the amp (2 ohm speakers with 4 ohm amp) or else the amp
could be damaged. Will 12 ohm speakers damage the amp? Should I plug
the speakers into the 4 ohm slot or the 8 ohm slot?

I am not familiar with Zu Tone, but assuming they are relatively normal
speakers from the electrical standpoint:

Use the 8-ohm connection and they will work just fine, although your maximum
power output will be somewhat less (this is only relevant if you want
super-loud sound).

The impedance of an 8-ohm speaker is anywhere from 5 to 100 ohms at various
points in the audio spectrum, or so I'm told. So an 8-ohm and a 12-ohm
speaker almost aren't distinguishable.

You are right about not wanting to use speakers of *lower* impedance than
the amplifier is rated for.

Looking up Zu Tone, I see that they are high-end speakers. I suggest you
ask Zu Tone for advice. Almost no amplifiers have 12-ohm outputs, so I'll
bet they get used on 8-ohm outputs regularly.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MC MC is offline

wrote in message ...
How about the 8 and 4 taps in series?

I don't think you can do that. Think about what "tap" means. The ends of
the transformer winding are probably designated 8 ohms and ground, and the
4-ohm tap is halfway through that transformer winding. You can't put a
transformer (or anything else) in series with half of itself.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce@cartchunk.org is offline

MC wrote:
wrote in message ...
How about the 8 and 4 taps in series?

I don't think you can do that. Think about what "tap" means. The ends of
the transformer winding are probably designated 8 ohms and ground, and the
4-ohm tap is halfway through that transformer winding.

Actually, no, it's about 71% of the way through the secondary winding,
more properly 1/sqrt(2) (0.7071...).