Posted to rec.audio.high-end
insoc

Default a bigger woofer is always better?

have a Boston Acoustics PV700 12" subwoofer 200rms watts. I heard a
Martin Logan Dynamo 10" subwoofer 200rms watts. I was very impressed
with the Martin Logan. It delivered a tigher bass and don=B4t know why
it even sounds louder and stronger than the Boston Acoustics. Would you

get rid off of the Boston Acoustics to have the Martin Logan one, even
if the Boston Acoustics is a 12" and the Martin Logan a 10"? Thank you!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott

On 12 Mar 2006 15:48:35 GMT, "insoc" wrote:

have a Boston Acoustics PV700 12" subwoofer 200rms watts. I heard a
Martin Logan Dynamo 10" subwoofer 200rms watts. I was very impressed
with the Martin Logan. It delivered a tigher bass and donīt know why
it even sounds louder and stronger than the Boston Acoustics. Would you

get rid off of the Boston Acoustics to have the Martin Logan one, even
if the Boston Acoustics is a 12" and the Martin Logan a 10"? Thank you!

A couple of good points posted here, but a good factor in choosing
includes the fact that power handling versus sensiitivity plays a very
inportant factor, including the lowerst frequency the woofer was
designed to produce. The encosure can have a surprising effect on the
low end accuracy and thusly the impact that those frequencies can have
on your ears. Some woofers rely on a sealed encolsure to perform
properly while some rely on a vented enclosure......
To put it simply.... when choosing a sub, look for power handling (the
closer to 200wrms the better) and the lower the rated frequency the
better, typically hemisperical shapes player lower cleaner.

Measure the dimensions of older Advent, Bose, or the old Realistic
Minimus Serries Woofers are to get an idea of what ideal is.

Some of the best sounding woofers I've heard in the last five years
have been Seas, Cerwen Vega, Boston Acoustic, and Infinity.

Good Luck hunting for the perfect speaker