audionut

Default 8 Ohms AV receiver with 4 Ohms Speakers

Hi,

I'm trying to connect my AV receiver (Marantz SR 7300) to my high end
speakers. My question is the receiver indicates that it requires a
"minimum 8 ohms" however my speaker specs indicate 4 Ohms. Is there a
mismatch btw the speakers and the receiver? Will the Amp destroy my
speaker if I connect with this disparity? Please advise.........
Thankyou!
Audionut
Pooh Bear

audionut wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to connect my AV receiver (Marantz SR 7300) to my high end
speakers. My question is the receiver indicates that it requires a
"minimum 8 ohms" however my speaker specs indicate 4 Ohms. Is there a
mismatch btw the speakers and the receiver? Will the Amp destroy my
speaker if I connect with this disparity? Please advise.........

No, the speakers will potentially damage / destroy your amp ( maybe )
which might then in turn damage / destroy the speakers - or simply it'll
just cause the amp to cut out occasionally.

Next time I suggest you check your needs before buying. It's not about
*matching* btw. Minimum load means what it says. Like maximum rpm for a
car's engine for example.

Graham
Gene Poon

audionut wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to connect my AV receiver (Marantz SR 7300) to my high end
speakers. My question is the receiver indicates that it requires a
"minimum 8 ohms" however my speaker specs indicate 4 Ohms. Is there a
mismatch btw the speakers and the receiver? Will the Amp destroy my
speaker if I connect with this disparity? Please advise.........
Thankyou!
Audionut

The speaker might cause the amplifier to be damaged.

At any given voltage drive level, a 4Ω speaker will draw twice as much
current as will an 8Ω speaker. The designers of the Marantz 7300
apparently did not provide for the output stage of the amplifier to
handle the current draw into a 4Ω speaker.

The reality is that you probably will see no ill effects until you
really try and push the amplifier to its full capabilities. Apparently
the designers of the Marantz SR7300 felt that if one were to drive the
amplifier to clipping, it would not be able to safely provide the
doubled current that would be drawn by a 4Ω load as compared to an 8Ω load.

-GP
Norman M. Schwartz

"Gene Poon" wrote in message
audionut wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to connect my AV receiver (Marantz SR 7300) to my high end
speakers. My question is the receiver indicates that it requires a
"minimum 8 ohms" however my speaker specs indicate 4 Ohms. Is there a
mismatch btw the speakers and the receiver? Will the Amp destroy my
speaker if I connect with this disparity? Please advise.........
Thankyou!
Audionut

The speaker might cause the amplifier to be damaged.

At any given voltage drive level, a 4? speaker will draw twice as much
current as will an 8? speaker. The designers of the Marantz 7300
apparently did not provide for the output stage of the amplifier to handle
the current draw into a 4? speaker.

The reality is that you probably will see no ill effects until you really
try and push the amplifier to its full capabilities. Apparently the
designers of the Marantz SR7300 felt that if one were to drive the
amplifier to clipping, it would not be able to safely provide the doubled
current that would be drawn by a 4? load as compared to an 8? load.

Most likely the sound of clipping would be so horrendous that you would shut
the system down before any damage occurred (unless you went out and left the
stereo on to fool crooks).
---MIKE---

Just get a pair of high wattage 4 ohm resistors and put them in series
with one of the speaker leads (on each speaker). You will waste half of
your power but you won't damage anything.

---MIKE---
Bruce J. Richman

Dalibor Bauerfrajnd wrote:

In article , says...
Hi,

I'm trying to connect my AV receiver (Marantz SR 7300) to my high end
speakers. My question is the receiver indicates that it requires a
"minimum 8 ohms" however my speaker specs indicate 4 Ohms. Is there a
mismatch btw the speakers and the receiver? Will the Amp destroy my
speaker if I connect with this disparity? Please advise.........

You'll be fine if you don't push it too loud.

--
Feel the Sound -
www.audiofil.net

In light of the oft-cited problems sometimes encountered by low-impedance
speakers matched with certani amplifiers, I can't help whether anybody here has
had any experience with the "Autotransformers" described in the following web
site:

http://www.zeroimpedance.com/index.htm

If they work as claimed, this would seem to be a possible enhancement for many
systems. As the owner of electrostatic speakers with a very difficult,
variable response curve (Martin Logan CLS IIzs with an impedance dipping below
2 ohms at some points), I've been thinking about trying out a pair in
combination with a 4-ohm rated power amplifier (CJ Premier 11A). Even though
I've had no major difficulties driving the speakers, I would not mind the
possibility of presenting a more benign load to the amplifier.

Bruce J. Richman

Gene Poon

Bruce J. Richman wrote:

Dalibor Bauerfrajnd wrote:

[...]

Bad link.

But it works as simply:

http://www.zeroimpedance.com/
Nousaine

(Bruce J. Richman) wrote:

Dalibor Bauerfrajnd wrote:

[...]

I've measured several hundred loudspeakers and never encountered a single load
(including Martin Logan speakers and other electrostatics) that caused problems
with the speakers driven to full output with fairly ordinary amplification. I'd
say that if you do not now have recordings that cause limiting you're still
working in the safe operating area of your electronics.