Gordon Craig

Default Using a Soundblaster MP3+ as a standalone A/D converter

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but it's an idea that's just
come to me.

I'm trying to find a reasonably cheap means of getting a standalone
stereo digital input to an AKAI DPS12 12 track digital recorder. The
recorder can record 8 simultaneous tracks, but only has 6 analog ins
and an optical in for the remaining two. I want to use this in a
live/rehearsal room situation, so a PC based solution for the digital
input isn't really practical.

I noticed that the Soundblaster MP3+ is an external sound card with an
optical output and is 16 bit so would match the Akai. This unit is
normally intended for USB connection to a PC. I was just wondering
what would happen if I rigged something up to supply it with the
required power through the USB port but didn't actually connect it to
a PC. Would I be able to feed a signal in the line in and get a feed
out from the digital output, or would it require USB control from a PC
to operate like this?

Probably a long shot, but just wondering if someone knows more than me
about the inner workings of this unit, or has tried the same thing?
Thanks in advance for any help or advise offered.
Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

IMHO it needs controlling from a computer, no sound card or computer
peripheral is a standalone device.Otherwise it would be having a power
adapter (as some earlier serial-port modems did).

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

SPDIF input on Soundblaster Dave Tech 3 February 7th 05 09:48 PM
PC Recording vs Standalone multitrack recording Mike Azzopardi Pro Audio 33 January 17th 05 11:34 PM
Soundblaster live Eddy Pro Audio 1 December 28th 04 03:39 PM
How to connect SoundBlaster Live 5.1 to my Receiver through Coaxial Digital In? Trident9440 Tech 0 February 10th 04 02:07 AM
Removing Soundcard VacuumHead Pro Audio 14 October 22nd 03 05:35 AM