amy radcliff

Default rega planet vs. cambridge D500SE?

I would be grateful if anyone could comment on the trade off between
these two CD players. The Rega is obviously the better player, but it
is twice the price of the Cambridge Audio alternative. I don't expect
quality to be linear with price...but I am wondering if as a budget
buyer the Rega is really worth the extra investment. I'm happy to pay
the larger price if the difference in sound quality is going to
significantly and obviously improved over the cheaper model...

the rest of my system is: Melos Pre-Amp, B&K power amp, Linn Keilidh
speakers. One complaint about this setup (using my prior California
Audio Labs CD player) was a slighty bright sound and a touch of
sibilance on some recordings. Hence, I was looking for a CD player
that added a bit of warmth or richness.

I am wondering if the Rega is too much for other components, and thus
if the D500SE would do just as well...or whether the Rega would
improve things enough to justify the expense.

Comments gratefully received.

Many thanks
Amy

Philip Meech

Default Jolida CD Player

Jolida has a tube CD player which might float your boat, or you could go
with a Bella Canto DAC II with your Cal Audio. Upscale Audio does mods
on Jolida CD Players. The tube output should get rid of the sibilance.
Let me know what you discover.

amy radcliff wrote:

[...]

Bruce J. Richman

amy radcliff wrote:

[...]

If the other poster's California Audio Labs CD player has a digital output and
is still functiional mechanically, he might want to consider looking for a used
California Audio Labs tubed DAC such as the Alpha, which while retailing for
$1500 when new, should be available for considerably less via eBay, Audiogon,
or other used gear outlets. I'm currently using this DAC (with 2 Mullard
12AX7's from Upscale Audio) with a California Audio Labs Delta CD transport
with excellent rresults. The sound is detailed, but never bright or overly
sibilant, while the tubed output stage of the DAC imparts just enough warmth to
satisfy those with more analogue tastes.

The rest of my system includes a VPI Aries/JMW 10" tonearm/PLC Speed
Controler/Line Conditioner, conrad johnson PV-12 and Premier 11A and Martin
Logan CLS II speakiers. Wiring and interconnects are all Straight Wire Encore,
except for the Phono Cable, which is Straight Wire Maestro and the digital
interconnect between the DAC and the preamplifier, which is a Straight Wire
Balanced Digital Cable. (the CAL dac is very flexible and accepts balanced,
unbalanced, and other interconnects).

Bruce J. Richman