ALAIN39

Default AR EB-101 Turntable & Grado MF3 cartridge

I recently came into possession of an AR EB-101 turntable with a Grado MF3
cartridge. Could anyone tell me anything about the cartridge, specifically the
stylus shape and recommended tracking force? Also, the turntable makes a faint
whirring sound that is audible with my ear about 1-2 feet from the turntable.
I suspect that the table could use some lubrication, but I'm not sure where the
oiling points are and would welcome any advice. Thanks.
Alain
Uptown Audio

You will need to disassemble the table and notice any points with a
thick grease on them. These are the points that need lubrication. The
spindle well will also need a change and you can soak all of it up and
replace it with 30wt motor oil. Some experimentaion and commen sense
will be handy when determining the right level to fill the well and to
find any lube points on the motor. Basically, anything that that moves
and comes into contact with anything else, could use some form of
lubrication. I would replace the cartridge altogether due to age. A
Grado Gold would make for an excellent replacement. Once balanced and
aligned, it should be a nice table. If it has the old SME 3009 arm on
it, and you can afford to invest a bit more to get a new tonearm, then
a Rega RB300 is a great choice. If that is a stretch, then the RB250
is still a good upgrade.
- Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"ALAIN39" wrote in message
I recently came into possession of an AR EB-101 turntable with a

Grado MF3
cartridge. Could anyone tell me anything about the cartridge,

specifically the
stylus shape and recommended tracking force? Also, the turntable

makes a faint
whirring sound that is audible with my ear about 1-2 feet from the

turntable.
I suspect that the table could use some lubrication, but I'm not

sure where the
oiling points are and would welcome any advice. Thanks.
Alain

What is this cartridge on my turntable ? David Winter Audio Opinions 0 May 12th 04 10:07 PM
Phono cartridge upgrade for Stanton Str8-20 (cheap turntable)? Bruce J. Richman Audio Opinions 1 March 26th 04 06:34 AM
bsr turntable louis General 0 December 13th 03 07:21 PM
Questions re AR turntable & Grado cartridge ALAIN39 Audio Opinions 0 October 16th 03 09:45 PM
A good midprice turntable cartridge Allan Tremblay Audio Opinions 18 August 18th 03 01:50 PM