Posted to rec.audio.pro
rich

Default SM7b or RE27?

Which mic do you prefer? I need to do a ton of VO work and don't like
using my Rode NT2-A. Too much spitty smack slippery wet mouth noise!

Looking to buy a Shure SM7b or EV RE27.

any opinions?

thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gotta try them with your voice. Very different from what you have, not
necessarily better.

Philip Perkins

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

rich wrote:
Which mic do you prefer? I need to do a ton of VO work
Looking to buy a Shure SM7b or EV RE27.

I'd prefer the one that sounded best on your voice. Take your voice to
some place where you can try them both out. Or if you absolutely can't
do that, buy an RE-20. While it isn't the very best mic for every
voice, it's rare that it doesn't work pretty well on any voice.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RedArchTop

Mike Rivers wrote:
rich wrote:
Which mic do you prefer? I need to do a ton of VO work
Looking to buy a Shure SM7b or EV RE27.

I'd prefer the one that sounded best on your voice. Take your voice to
some place where you can try them both out. Or if you absolutely can't
do that, buy an RE-20. While it isn't the very best mic for every
voice, it's rare that it doesn't work pretty well on any voice.

I recently noticed that there is a contingency of Ham operators
expressiing appreciation for the MXL 990 ..... and you can get them
for almost nothing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

rich wrote:
Which mic do you prefer? I need to do a ton of VO work and don't like
using my Rode NT2-A. Too much spitty smack slippery wet mouth noise!

Looking to buy a Shure SM7b or EV RE27.

any opinions?

Both are good. So is the RE-20. The RE-20 is better off-mike than the
SM-7 is. The RE-27 is like an RE-20 with a brighter sound and a presence
peak.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

RedArchTop wrote:

I recently noticed that there is a contingency of Ham operators
expressiing appreciation for the MXL 990 ..... and you can get them
for almost nothing.

I got one for next to nothing when I bought it along with an MXL 991
for a workshop. It's OK. But I hardly think that what hams like to use
is a good criteria for studio voiceover work. I haven't been an active
ham for many years, but when I was active, telephone bandwidth was what
you were shooting for so you didn't use up too much of the spectrum,
and could put the most power where it would do the most good to reach
out further.

Bob Heil has been building mics for the ham market for some time now,
and now he's gettting some interest from the broadcast market (which is
still not the same as the studio voiceover market, but closer to it
than ham radio) with a new line of mics that have been, perhaps
erroneously, been compared to the RE-20.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geezer

The RE mics are better off-axis, due to the variableD design which
mnimizes proximity effect. But you may well prefer the proximity effect
of the sm-7 on your voice.

The Shure does have that little thingy on the back, which allows you to
tailor the frequency response of the mic. So that's a potential plus.

Of the RE mics, I don't much like the sound of the RE-27, preferring
the smoother top end of the RE-20. To give yourself a quick
comparison, sort of, listen in on the Don Imus show some weekday
morning. [it's on msnbc] Imus has a 27, and his main sidekick uses a
20.

I'd audition both EV's and the sm-7 - and for not much more money,
listen to yourself on a Shure KSM32. I'd use to the side to minimize
plosives, but it can be really nice on male vox.

-glenn

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

geezer wrote:
The RE mics are better off-axis, due to the variableD design which
mnimizes proximity effect. But you may well prefer the proximity effect
of the sm-7 on your voice.

Absolutely.

The Shure does have that little thingy on the back, which allows you to
tailor the frequency response of the mic. So that's a potential plus.

I have never found it useful, though. It always seems that the mike
sounds better flat. Usually I can get the sound I want better with
console EQ than with the switches, too.

Of the RE mics, I don't much like the sound of the RE-27, preferring
the smoother top end of the RE-20. To give yourself a quick
comparison, sort of, listen in on the Don Imus show some weekday
morning. [it's on msnbc] Imus has a 27, and his main sidekick uses a
20.

The top end on the RE-27 is a lot more modern-sounding. I don't think
that's a good thing, personally, but it's popular.

I'd audition both EV's and the sm-7 - and for not much more money,
listen to yourself on a Shure KSM32. I'd use to the side to minimize
plosives, but it can be really nice on male vox.

Whatever happened to the Steadman dynamics? They always seemed fair
competition to the RE-20 and SM-7.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
rich

Thanks folks!

wonderful info. I'm off to do some testing!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geezer

From: Scott Dorsey - view profile
Date: Sun, Mar 19 2006 7:28 pm

Whatever happened to the Steadman dynamics? They always seemed fair
competition to the RE-20 and SM-7.

WOW - the Stedman N-90 !! Haven't thought about that it years. It
was sort of a hot property for a while. Just googled 'em & it appears
Stedman is still in business, but not making any mics at all. Just the
popper-stopper.

-glenn

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John L Rice

oups.com...
From: Scott Dorsey - view profile
Date: Sun, Mar 19 2006 7:28 pm

Whatever happened to the Steadman dynamics? They always seemed fair
competition to the RE-20 and SM-7.

WOW - the Stedman N-90 !! Haven't thought about that it years. It
was sort of a hot property for a while. Just googled 'em & it appears
Stedman is still in business, but not making any mics at all. Just the
popper-stopper.

-glenn

Someone just scored a nice pair of Stedman N90's on Ebay. Nice pictures for
reference :
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stedman-N90-Stud...temZ7396539311

--
John L Rice