rickymix

Default Aloha Y'all! (451-EB roll-off)

Aloha from Hawaii, guys!
I've taken my PT Laptop travel rig for a milk run to my brother's
place in Hawaii. So far, so good, except I've had a few close calls
with salt water abruptly draining from my sinuses after surfing as I
lean over my laptop keyboard. No tragedies yet though.
It's been a fairly steep learning curve with the new G4 laptop,
system 10.3, PT-LE, and SampleTank all being new to me, but I'm
getting a bit more comfortable with it now. But I do have a few
questions to pick your communal brains about, if I may. (Never fear,
I won't ask to pick your communal nose..... :)
My mic is an AKG 451-EB with a CK1 capsule for recording Guitar
and Uke and a BLUE lollipop capsule for Vox. Even with the windows
shut there's a constant low rumble from the large surf outside. I'm
thinking of using the mic's 75Hz roll-off for GTR and Vox and the
150Hz for Uke. I normally never use the roll-offs on mics. For
example, the Neumann U-87's roll-off just kills the sound, to my ears.
But I can't recall ever trying a 451-EB's roll-off, and I might not
hear much difference here, given my current monitoring environment.
Any opinions on whether I should use the 451's roll-off or deal with
the noise later?
This is getting long, so I'll post the other questions in
separate threads. Thanks!
ScotFraser

My mic is an AKG 451-EB with a CK1 capsule for recording Guitar
and Uke and a BLUE lollipop capsule for Vox. Even with the windows
shut there's a constant low rumble from the large surf outside. I'm
thinking of using the mic's 75Hz roll-off for GTR and Vox and the
150Hz for Uke. I normally never use the roll-offs on mics. For
example, the Neumann U-87's roll-off just kills the sound, to my ears.
But I can't recall ever trying a 451-EB's roll-off, and I might not
hear much difference here, given my current monitoring environment.
Any opinions on whether I should use the 451's roll-off or deal with
the noise later?

Make sure the noise is acoustic. I took a pair of 451s to a tropical climate &
they had serious issues with the humidity, lots of thumps. They were basically
unuseable. If it really is acoustic surf rumble, you could wait & HPF it later
in PT where you can tweak the corner frequency to deal with it more accurately.
OTOH, if it's wind rumble, you'll eat up all your headroom with useless LF
noise.
Enjoy the surf. Pretty different from my recent remote recording gig, which was
in Fairbanks (again.)

Scott Fraser
WillStG

(rickymix)

Even with the windows
shut there's a constant low rumble from the large surf outside. I'm
thinking of using the mic's 75Hz roll-off for GTR and Vox and the
150Hz for Uke.

Hey Ricky, the Nats should work nicely if you're working on the Brother's
Cazimero's "The Sound of The Sea Surrounds Me"... Ah that song makes me
homesick. Maybe Spring break, if you're in town let me know...

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

rickymix

Hi Scott and Will!
Yeah, it's been windy and there's big storm surf. Should start
to clean up tomorrow, hopefully.
Meanwhile, I tried recording some Uke today. I used the 150 Hz
roll-off on the AKG 451 going to the left track and the Fishman pickup
w/preamp going to the right track of a Stereo track. The slight bleed
through, ("Nats, :), were fine and appropriate. In fact, I was
really happy with the sound until I mono'd the tracks. Big time phase
problem. Doh!
I think there was about a 60 sample delay between the mic and DI
tracks, with the mic being later and the DI earlier. The waveforms
were so different looking it was hard to tell. Sometimes it seemed
the delay was even longer, maybe as much as 200 samples. And then
sometimes it looked like the waveforms were mirror images of each
other, especially at the beginning of sounds, and zoomed way in.
Is this a known problem with using the M-box mic pre and DI
simultaneously?
Hey Will, it's Spring break here already in the local schools!
I'm here until April 1st, the Holiday named after ME! :) When
are you gonna be here? It'd be great to see you. Hey, do you know
Chris Lee? I'm supposed to have a meeting with him tomorrow in town.
Aloha all, Rick.

ospam (WillStG) wrote in message news:
rickymix wrote:
Even with the windows
shut there's a constant low rumble from the large surf outside. I'm
thinking of using the mic's 75Hz roll-off for GTR and Vox and the
150Hz for Uke.

Hey Ricky, the Nats should work nicely if you're working on the Brother's
Cazimero's "The Sound of The Sea Surrounds Me"... Ah that song makes me
homesick. Maybe Spring break, if you're in town let me know...

Will Miho

rickymix

You're probably right, Mike. But I don't remember having that problem
on bass back in the analog days. On the other hand, I would usually
pick either the direct or the amp, whichever sounded better, and
mostly use that one, and just add a hair of the other for flavor.
Maybe that was why.
I never realized it was enough of a lag to cause phase problems.
The mic was only about 3 or 4 inches from the uke.
Cheers, Rick.

(Mike Rivers) wrote;
Meanwhile, I tried recording some Uke today. I used the 150 Hz
roll-off on the AKG 451 going to the left track and the Fishman pickup
w/preamp going to the right track of a Stereo track. I was
really happy with the sound until I mono'd the tracks. Big time phase
problem. Doh!
I think there was about a 60 sample delay between the mic and DI
tracks, with the mic being later and the DI earlier.

That's to be expected. You're seeing the difference in distance
between the string and the pickup or mic. Sound takes some time to
travel, you know. It's to be expected. Adjust delay accordingly and
you'll be fine.

Monte P McGuire

In article ,
rickymix wrote:
No, that's the weird thing. I'm going straight into the 2 inputs of
an Mbox; the 451 (3 inches from the uke), straight into the ch 1 mic
pre and the Fishman pickup straight into the ch 2 direct in. And the
mic track winds up around 60 samples late.

Yes, there's air delay between the strings and the mike that you don't
get on the DI channel. What sample rate are you working at? 60
samples sounds sort of high for 44.1KHz, but it's not completely out
of the question. Zoom in closely and make sure it's really 60 samples
late. It might actually be some smaller number of samples if you look
closely at a transient.

BTW, if you slip the DI track back (or the mike track forward) by this
delay, the two channels will add together a little nicer. You get
fewer cancellations and usually the end result sounds nicer. Measure
the delay using the waveform display and tweak the last few samples by
hand/ear.

Of course, if the instrument is moving around relative to the mike,
the delay won't be a constant, so it might not sound good to try and
compensate for the air delay. But, see what you have and give it a
try.

Regards,

Monte McGuire