Posted to rec.audio.high-end
AlJrNYC

Default Recording to Discs (DVD)

Need to record Laser Discs, VHS, and DVD's to DVD--What are the best
machines to do this ? All suggestions welcome. Thank you Al in NYC

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
David E. Bath

In article ,
"AlJrNYC" writes:
Need to record Laser Discs, VHS, and DVD's to DVD--What are the best
machines to do this ? All suggestions welcome. Thank you Al in NYC

There are quite a few very good ones out there. I've been quite happy
with my Toshiba DVD recorder. It's no longer available or I'd mention
the model number.

I'd advise a model with a hard disk as it adds a lot of flexibility
and as a bonus they typically have DVR functionality.

--
David Bath - RAHE Co-moderator

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
AlJrNYC

David E. Bath wrote:
In article ,
"AlJrNYC" writes:
Need to record Laser Discs, VHS, and DVD's to DVD--What are the best
machines to do this ? All suggestions welcome. Thank you Al in NYC

There are quite a few very good ones out there. I've been quite happy
with my Toshiba DVD recorder. It's no longer available or I'd mention
the model number.

I'd advise a model with a hard disk as it adds a lot of flexibility
and as a bonus they typically have DVR functionality.

--
David Bath - RAHE Co-moderator

--

David,thanks for your reply-
Being a novice in recording to DVD's need you to clarify 1-model with

Thanks again Al

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Tom A.

On 2006-06-09 05:20:34 +0200, "AlJrNYC" said:

Need to record Laser Discs, VHS, and DVD's to DVD--What are the best
machines to do this ? All suggestions welcome. Thank you Al in NYC

if you have a pc or mac with a dvd burner, you could add hardware (if
needed) to grab tv signals, save this to you hard disk and then burn
dvds.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
David E. Bath

In article ,
"AlJrNYC" writes:
David E. Bath wrote:
In article ,
"AlJrNYC" writes:
Need to record Laser Discs, VHS, and DVD's to DVD--What are the best
machines to do this ? All suggestions welcome. Thank you Al in NYC

There are quite a few very good ones out there. I've been quite happy
with my Toshiba DVD recorder. It's no longer available or I'd mention
the model number.

I'd advise a model with a hard disk as it adds a lot of flexibility
and as a bonus they typically have DVR functionality.

David,thanks for your reply-
Being a novice in recording to DVD's need you to clarify 1-model with
hard disk vs no hard disk and 2?DVR functionality

OK, a hard disk model allows you to record the video, do any editing,
divide into chapters, and rearranging before burning the DVD. This
gives you most of the functions a of a PC-based DVD recording setup. A
unit without a hard disk is pretty much like a VCR except it uses
DVDs.

The DVR (Digital Video Recorder) function is the generic name for
TIVO-like functions. Beyond being able to setup timers to record
programs similar to a VCR, you can pause and rewind live TV.

The other approach some have done is to get a unit without a hard
disk, record to R/W media and do the editing on a PC. I find the hard
disk recorder a simpler choice.

--
David Bath - RAHE Co-moderator

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

David E. Bath wrote:
In article ,
"AlJrNYC" writes:
Need to record Laser Discs, VHS, and DVD's to DVD--What are the best
machines to do this ? All suggestions welcome. Thank you Al in NYC

There are quite a few very good ones out there. I've been quite happy
with my Toshiba DVD recorder. It's no longer available or I'd mention
the model number.

I'd advise a model with a hard disk as it adds a lot of flexibility
and as a bonus they typically have DVR functionality.

Forgive my ignorance, but won't he also need something to defeat the
copy protection on the Laserdiscs and commercially recorded VHS tapes
and DVDs?
My (perhaps erroneous) understanding is that most stand-alone DVD
recorders will not copy protected material.

Jeff

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
David E. Bath

In article ,
" writes:
David E. Bath wrote:
In article ,
"AlJrNYC" writes:
Need to record Laser Discs, VHS, and DVD's to DVD--What are the best
machines to do this ? All suggestions welcome. Thank you Al in NYC

There are quite a few very good ones out there. I've been quite happy
with my Toshiba DVD recorder. It's no longer available or I'd mention
the model number.

I'd advise a model with a hard disk as it adds a lot of flexibility
and as a bonus they typically have DVR functionality.

Forgive my ignorance, but won't he also need something to defeat the
copy protection on the Laserdiscs and commercially recorded VHS tapes
and DVDs?
My (perhaps erroneous) understanding is that most stand-alone DVD
recorders will not copy protected material.

You are correct about VHS and DVDs, but laserdiscs are not copy
protected. I assumed the VHS mentioned in the original post were not
commercial as in my case where I was recording my own camcorder tapes
for archive purposes.

--
David Bath - RAHE Co-moderator

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

David E. Bath wrote:
There are quite a few very good ones out there. I've been quite happy
with my Toshiba DVD recorder. It's no longer available or I'd mention
the model number.

I'd advise a model with a hard disk as it adds a lot of flexibility
and as a bonus they typically have DVR functionality.

Forgive my ignorance, but won't he also need something to defeat the
copy protection on the Laserdiscs and commercially recorded VHS tapes
and DVDs?
My (perhaps erroneous) understanding is that most stand-alone DVD
recorders will not copy protected material.

You are correct about VHS and DVDs, but laserdiscs are not copy
protected. I assumed the VHS mentioned in the original post were not
commercial as in my case where I was recording my own camcorder tapes
for archive purposes.

Fair enough. But what did you assume about the DVDs he wants to copy?
; )

Jeff

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
David E. Bath

In article ,
" writes:
David E. Bath wrote:
[...]

I guess I kinda missed that part. Maybe non-commercial discs?

I did run into a copy protection problem with my DVD recorder, but it
happened when I wanted to copy from my satellite DVR to watch premium
movies while traveling. At first only a very few would refused by the
recorder, now most are protected.

--
David Bath - RAHE Co-moderator

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
William Eckle

On 11 Jun 2006 21:17:55 GMT, "
wrote:

Fair enough. But what did you assume about the DVDs he wants to copy?

For those that would like to copy DVDs, check the following:
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...dvd_shrink.cfm
It is free and works nicely.

-=Bill Eckle=-

Vanity Web Page at: