Alec Sibbald

Default Systemdek IIX

A couple of queries about the Systemdek IIX turntable
Should it have a mat on top of the glass platter?
Do I need an adapter to run it at 45rpm without the belt jumping off?

Thanks in advance

Steven Sullivan

Alec Sibbald wrote:
A couple of queries about the Systemdek IIX turntable
Should it have a mat on top of the glass platter?

Mine had a felt one.

Do I need an adapter to run it at 45rpm without the belt jumping off?

No. TO swithc speeds, you manually move the belt from the 33.3
drive gear to the 45 gear. Then you use your hand to rotate the platter
(coutnerclockwise) until the belt makes the transition
on the other gear.

I'd like to break out my IIX now and then but it developed an annoying
hum some years ago-- which appears to be a transmission of mechanical
vibration, rather than a ground hum -- and I've given up for now
trying to get it fixed. (After one shop claimed to have
fixed it, but didn't...place is now out of business, satisfyingly
enough)

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Derbydrummer

Try contacting ART in kilmarnock to get your deck fixed.

Its worth it.

Regards
Igor

Alec Sibbald

Sorry if I seem a bit dense but:
When I lift the platter off my turntable there is a big black disc,
which the platter rests on, and a pulley with two steps on it.

If I run the belt round the top pulley then the deck plays very nicely
at 33 1/3. However, if I move the belt down to the bigger pulley,
which doesn't line up with the disc that the platter sits on, the belt
just jumps off the big disc when the pulley starts to turn.

Thanks for your response

Alec

Steven Sullivan wrote in message news:qBbWb.20086$032.65435@attbi_s53...
Alec Sibbald wrote:
A couple of queries about the Systemdek IIX turntable
Should it have a mat on top of the glass platter?

Mine had a felt one.

Do I need an adapter to run it at 45rpm without the belt jumping off?

No. TO swithc speeds, you manually move the belt from the 33.3
drive gear to the 45 gear. Then you use your hand to rotate the platter
(coutnerclockwise) until the belt makes the transition
on the other gear.

I'd like to break out my IIX now and then but it developed an annoying
hum some years ago-- which appears to be a transmission of mechanical
vibration, rather than a ground hum -- and I've given up for now
trying to get it fixed. (After one shop claimed to have
fixed it, but didn't...place is now out of business, satisfyingly
enough)

Steven Sullivan

Alec Sibbald wrote:
Sorry if I seem a bit dense but:
When I lift the platter off my turntable there is a big black disc,
which the platter rests on, and a pulley with two steps on it.

If I run the belt round the top pulley then the deck plays very nicely
at 33 1/3. However, if I move the belt down to the bigger pulley,
which doesn't line up with the disc that the platter sits on, the belt
just jumps off the big disc when the pulley starts to turn.

That's why after you move the belt
you have to turn the platter *manually*, slowly, and ,IIRC,
counterclockwise. That 'seats' belt in the new 'gear'.
You can't just change the belt and then start up the table.

____
-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Uptown Audio

You may have too much oil in the well. The motor and thus pulley
height can be raised by loosening the pair of screws on either side of
the motor as viewed from the top. Both adjustments should help. You
should have a rather thick felt mat. The mat should be of sufficient
depth to have the tonearm level with the platter with the needle in a
record groove. If not, you could possibly adjust the arm height from
the back of the arm base (VTA adjustment).
- Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

Alec Sibbald wrote:
[...]

Alec Sibbald

Guys. I was being incredibly dense. I wasn't replacing the platter
when I was turning the pulley and without its weight nothing lined up
and the belt jumped off.

Anyway, thanks for your advice. I have managed to source a felt mat
and am now looking forward to many happy hours of listening.

Cheers

Alec

Alec Sibbald wrote:
[...]

kevhodge kevhodge is offline
Junior Member

Smile

i have had a iix since 1984, i would not and could not replace it for some thing better! wow, to lift the glass platter and change speed manually, whats the problem? i love this old girl, i keep buying records from e-bay because they sound better than cds. sorry if this is a bit of banter, but i love me old TT.

Steven Sullivan

kevhodge wrote:
i have had a iix since 1984, i would not and could not replace it for
some thing better! wow, to lift the glass platter and change speed
manually, whats the problem? i love this old girl, i keep buying
records from e-bay because they sound better than cds. sorry if this is
a bit of banter, but i love me old TT.

I liked mine well enough, before it developed a nasty hum that
appears to be motor-related.

--

-S
"God is an asshole!" -- Ruth Fisher, 'Six Feet Under'