Anand Arun

Default Suitable speakers for my Musical Fidelity X-A2 and X-Ray combo

Hi,

I recently accquired the MF X-A2 int amp and X-Ray CD player. They are
very visually appealing (cool blue light on the amp). I hooked it up
to my old Kef Q35 (first gen) and found that the treble was too
bright.

I feel the speakers are not suitable for it. Could anyone please
advise me on what speakers could be used with this combo. Perhaps
someone who has the same equipment.

The manual states that efficient speakers would be those in the 95db
range. Are there any speakers in this range?

Any advise would also be helpful.

Thanks
Dalibor Bauernfrajnd

In article , says...
Hi,

I recently accquired the MF X-A2 int amp and X-Ray CD player. They are
very visually appealing (cool blue light on the amp). I hooked it up
to my old Kef Q35 (first gen) and found that the treble was too
bright.

I feel the speakers are not suitable for it. Could anyone please
advise me on what speakers could be used with this combo. Perhaps
someone who has the same equipment.

The manual states that efficient speakers would be those in the 95db
range. Are there any speakers in this range?

Sure, but they usually cost a lot, and again usually, work better with tube
amps.

I've heard the X series combo do wonders with Dali Helicom 300 speakers at a
local show last year, it was the second best setup at the show IMHO.

The price IS a bit on the high side, being more then the amp+cd together, but
sure is worth it.

I'm not sure why you ask about efficient speakrs as I'm sure the X-A2 would
work well with any average loudspeaker (88dB+).

However, if you're after a lot of musical enjoyment and don't care about the
hi-fi mumbo-jumbo, you should look-up the Audio Note AZ-Two spkrs. These are
93dB, have a flat 6 ohm impendance and are extremly easy to drive. They're
rear horn loaded floorstanders (placement in room corners is suggested, mine
work well just near the rear wall) and cost $1k.

Oh yeah, I have a Musical Fidelity A2 with them at the moment (going SET as
soon as funds allow).

Good luck!

p.s. I've owned the first Q55s. Treble problems all the time.

--
Whenever I consider my mortality and ask myself what I would do if
I only had a short time to live, an intrinsic part of the answer is,
Anand Arun

Dalibor Bauernfrajnd wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your very informative feedback. I have made an
appointment with a local distributor for Dali to test the Helicon 300
with the X-A2. As for the Audio Note AZ-2 speakers its a bit harder to
source for it here in Malaysia, however i am not giving up yet. I am
sure someone would have it around here.

Once again thanks for the info and good luck in exploring the SET
amps. I found that the AZ-2's really do well with the SETs. Just
curious which one do you have in mind?