reddred

wrote in message

"My point is .... I needed to find a business
model where, at minimum, I made my money back."

Wouldn't it be smart if record companies did the same thing?

jb

Roger W. Norman

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
Actually one assumes that paying the admission price is supporting the
band.

I wouldn't go that far, Mike. Most local bars have tons of groups come
through and often it's a $5 or $10 door charge which goes to the band.
Whether the person gives a **** about the band or not makes less difference
than whether the person simply goes to that bar because the bartender knows
him or he runs a tab (forget the gender specific here).

Not as a general case, but there are some people who are doing that.
The rare few make a real living at it (usually they have already done
the grunt work over the past 20 years to establish themselves and now
do a little touring) - Tom Rush is a good example, someone who went
the DIY route even before web sites were common.

The real point being that using the internet for the SOLE purpose of selling
product is probably a bad idea. If one can't support sales in Pittsburgh,
who cares if they live in Atlanta? So the web, even though it is a world
wide situation, can reasonably help support a group/artist if one is able
and willing to perform and has music worth the effort of the fans.

In the case of the original point of the thread, it's such an esoteric
concept to think that a composer/arranger would be able to perform live that
it's almost negligable. But for artists looking to work their way out of
the proverbial regional basement, a decent website with full contact
information and numerous other ways to encourage fans to pursue the act,
well, it's an open field.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

In article

writes:

One assumes that if you're at a concert listening to the band, you can
determine whether you want to support the band through a $15 purchase.

Obviously the point is that one simply can't make music and put it up on

the
net and make money.

But the chances of a total unknown putting music up on a web site and
making a living selling it are very tiny, no matter how good the music
is. But even the relatively small effort to send promo copies to
appropriate publishers who will give it a mention can help.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Roger W. Norman

Yeah, but you have to give it too her. She keeps coming back. I like
mental puzzles in the morning! g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"EggHd" wrote in message
People make money recording music without having to sell it in album
form, there are so many other avenues to market music to, music is
everywhere.

Do you ever get to any substance in your posts?

---------------------------------------

reddred

"Uncle Russ" wrote in message
I completely agree with Bob Olhsson ... having learned the hard way what

he
so succinctly wrote.

For some reason, a very few people that did what you did manage to sell a
lot more records than you did, starting out in the same situation. Among
other things, they tend to be very, very, very good at what they do in one
way or another. That's not to say that you aren't, I have no idea, but I
think people should avoid making blanket statements like 'you can't do it
without a deal', because a very few people have, or 'nobody with a deal
really makes money' because a very few people really have.

You have to realize that very few people are successful in music or any kind
of business. My opinion about your situation is that 9 months isn't very
long and you might need to look at how you could do business differently,
and in business one of the most important things is actually attitiude, as
well as commitment.

jb

I'm lucky enough to own a small magazine publishing company that earns me

decent living. When I returned to jazz, I expanded my company to include
music CD production. I bought good gear and discovered my photography

studio
doubles as a good music studio. With the help of Ben Maas (whom I met on
this group), I recorded and produced my own album. I used my writing,
photographic, and computer graphics skills to create artwork, liner notes,
and a website with free sample downloads.

The album is for sale not only on my own site and from advertising in my

own
publications, but also online at Amazon, Tower Records, CD Baby, and half

dozen Internet download sites (like Apple I-Tunes). I sent a copy to Fred
Kaplan, the author of the article at the beginning of this thread, and he
failed to acknowledge receipt of -- let alone review -- the CD. A couple

of
less well known people did review it (very positively). Even without

paying
a publicist, I even got my fair share of air play on a few all-jazz FM
stations around North America.

Big deal. After 9 months, I doubt I have sold as many as 60 albums.

It doesn't matter how good you are, how pretty your album looks and

sounds,
who plays on it, or how cool your website may be. Without tens or hundreds
of thousands of dollars in advertising and promotion and without strong
industry connections, you ain't going nowhere! You won't even get much
chance to play live because even small, parochial festivals want

performers
their audience has heard of. Without a lot of live performances, your
greatest hope of sales -- from the bandstand -- will never materialize.

Luckily, I don't care about "stardom"; I'm in it for the music, the
creativity, and the fun. Maybe someday I'll be able to play at a few
festivals and finally sell off my remaining 900 CDs. And I'll certainly
record others, make a few copies of the masters, and probably give most

away
to friends (and my half dozen fans).

Unless somebody else -- somebody with money and connections and knowhow --
makes you a "star" (or at least a somewhat familiar name) you will never
become one. And without name recognition, your music will barely leave the
studio.

Kaplan did admit up front that ArtistShare is probably only for people

with
an established name and following. Also, I might add, for people who don't
know what end of a computer is up. Because, for a lot less money, you can

do
it yourself at least as well, and attain the same results.

But you'll make more money mowing lawns.

Uncle Russ

WESTLAKE PUBLISHING COMPANY
www.finescalerr.com
WESTLAKE RECORDS
www.westlakerecords.com

Bob Olhsson wrote:

It's been an avenue many artists have used all along!

This isn't necessarily such a great deal since all of the production,
promotion, music licensing and sales efforts are left up to the artist!
The main thing record labels do is promoting, publicizing and selling
recordings. Somebody's got to do it and the less known an artist is, the
more difficult and expensive it is to do. Another very tangible benefit

from
being on a recognized label is the amountof live performance fees one can
ask.

Until somebody such as ArtistShare raises an unknown artist to having an
international profile, we are comparing apples to oranges.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

The real point being that using the internet for the SOLE purpose of

selling
product is probably a bad idea.

Gonna have to disagree with you there, in my case (with my own music) I'm
using the internet exclusively - all my sales have been via the web, and at
least half have been from countries other than the US. Also, in my case, I
don't gig, don't have a band that I play with, etc., so that's a little bit
different scenario, too, but there you have it. Have I sold a ton? No, I've
still got a couple hundred left from the 1,000 I originally ordered, and a
couple hundred have gone out as promos - it's been available since July of
'02, so you can do the math on the rest. I think if you're someone like
me - doing niche music for one, and not attempting to earn a living at it,
for another - the web is the way to go... I've more than broken even, and
am nearly (fingers crossed, LOL!) done with my 2nd CD. Roger, I remember
you mentioning that you've heard some of my stuff before, but for anyone
else who wants to see what I'm talking about, you can go here if you want
to check it out:

http://www.saqqararecords.com/html/N...son%20Home.htm

On the OTHER hand, for more mainstream bands like this...

http://www.saqqararecords.com/html/Abinormal%20Home.htm

....your position is right on; they gig, sell CD's at their gigs, and as we
try to get them shopped to someone who can take them to the next level,
they use the web to promote themselves & keep in touch with their fans. In
fact, I think they do a pretty good job of it, and if anyone reading this
thread would like to see a good example of that, you can link to their
website from the navbar at the left side of the page on the previous link,
or you can go there directly... he

http://www.abinormal.com

Now, we just released the Abinormal CD, and judging from the pace of sales,
these guys will sell more of their CD's at their gigs in a few months than
I've sold of mine since it's release; so, depending on what you're trying
to accomplish, there's a place for the web as a sales tool alone, and a
place for it as mainly a promotional tool, IMO.

Just two little small-time success stories... in any event, you still have
to have a label with some clout that can generate enough noise to get you
into the realm of the big-time success stories, however (again, IMO).
--

Neil Henderson
Saqqara Records

writes:

One assumes that if you're at a concert listening to the band, you

can
determine whether you want to support the band through a $15

purchase.

Obviously the point is that one simply can't make music and put it up

on
the
net and make money.

But the chances of a total unknown putting music up on a web site and
making a living selling it are very tiny, no matter how good the music
is. But even the relatively small effort to send promo copies to
appropriate publishers who will give it a mention can help.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Roger W. Norman

Exception that proves the rule! g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

writes:

One assumes that if you're at a concert listening to the band, you

can
determine whether you want to support the band through a $15

purchase.

Obviously the point is that one simply can't make music and put it

up
on
the
net and make money.

But the chances of a total unknown putting music up on a web site and
making a living selling it are very tiny, no matter how good the music
is. But even the relatively small effort to send promo copies to
appropriate publishers who will give it a mention can help.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Uncle Russ

You, and maybe some others, might have misunderstood my statements:

Assuming you have something to sell the public wants, it is possible, with a
lot of work and maybe a lot of expense, to establish a business selling it.
And, yes, you must approach any business with the right attitude. I think 20
years of successful self employment have provided me with some insights you
may have assumed I and others might lack.

I was referring to selling traditional small combo jazz CDs as a profitable
business. To me, that means something that provides an income of about
50,000 dollars per year at the very minimum. Less than that and you are
better off investing your time in something else to earn money.

Some people have earned that much and more from offering more popular kinds
of music such as rock or hip-hop. Some people can make $100,000 per year
selling their wares at swap meets, street festivals, and similar events.
Some musicians may earn $80,000 per year playing and selling CDs in the New
York subways. Some of us, though, find such venues unsuitable for personal
or business reasons. The majority of jazz musicians, and probably many other
musicians, are out of their element in such situations. And many people
cannot afford to devote full time to such risky ventures.

Some people are natural salesmen; most musicians aren't. That is why record
companies, promoters, publicists, and agents exist.

Your comments are valid insofar as they address the exceptions to the rule.

As a successful independent publisher, my background and training is well
suited to producing and marketing music CDs. But I don't have industry
connections, my catalog is much to small to interest a distributor, and the
jazz market is far too ill defined to permit focussed advertising. A small
businessman also doesn't gamble with his money; he invests it. Tossing
$100,000 into a publicity campaign for traditional jazz in today's climate
is a risk nobody would take unless he easily could afford to lose every
penny.

Your comments suggest you may not have completely thought through the
specific situation I described. I do agree with you that some level of
success is possible or I never would have invested anything. But most people
with real world experience would realize my comments about marketing
traditional small combo jazz are very typical of what most responsible
businessmen could expect in today's climate. Not gamblers; businessmen.

"reddred" wrote in message
I think people should avoid making blanket statements like 'you can't do

it
without a deal', because a very few people have, or 'nobody with a deal
really makes money' because a very few people really have.

You have to realize that very few people are successful in music or any

kind
of business. My opinion about your situation is that 9 months isn't very
long and you might need to look at how you could do business differently,
and in business one of the most important things is actually attitiude, as
well as commitment.

jb

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Some people have earned that much and more from offering more popular kinds
of music such as rock or hip-hop. Some people can make $100,000 per year
selling their wares at swap meets, street festivals, and similar events.
Some musicians may earn $80,000 per year playing and selling CDs in the New
York subways. Some of us, though, find such venues unsuitable for personal
or business reasons. The majority of jazz musicians, and probably many other
musicians, are out of their element in such situations. And many people
cannot afford to devote full time to such risky ventures.

That's the thing when you've chosen the self-employed route - you have
to be willing to take some risks that you wouldn't ordinarily take.
Most of the people I know who have moved from a secure job to being
self-employed have re-invented themselves to some extent.

Some people are natural salesmen; most musicians aren't. That is why record
companies, promoters, publicists, and agents exist.

No? Don't they sell their music and their performance when they get on
stage? That's one of the most important parts of the gig.

As a successful independent publisher, my background and training is well
suited to producing and marketing music CDs. But I don't have industry
connections, my catalog is much to small to interest a distributor, and the
jazz market is far too ill defined to permit focussed advertising.

Rounder Records is a good example of a success story. They started out
as a group house full of lovers of old time country music. They
released a few records because they loved the artists, and in order to
support their own product, offered to distribute similar records from
other independent labor-of-love record labels. They started out
selling by mail (this was before the Internet), taking ads in the folk
music magazines and going to festivals with a van full of records.

Thirty-five years later they're a major indie label.

A small
businessman also doesn't gamble with his money; he invests it.

That's one model. Another model is that he borrows money from someone
else. Admittedly "street musician" isn't a very solid investment for a
bank so you have to look elsewhere.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

OSPAM writes:

Have I sold a ton? No, I've
still got a couple hundred left from the 1,000 I originally ordered,

and a
couple hundred have gone out as promos - it's been available since July

of
'02, so you can do the math on the rest.

OK, I did. In two years, you've made about enough to pay for a pretty
decent mic. This perfectly reasonable for a hobby,

Well, a pretty decent mic, and a few other things too, and it's enough to
motivate me to do it again with a follow-up CD. I enjoy the hell out of the
whole process from start to finish, and my listeners enjoy what they get
out if it... it's a win-win, even though it's at a small, minor-league
level. And for me, that level of success is fine... I have no illusions of
becoming a rock star in my early fourties, ferchrissakes! Now, in the case
of my little label itself, I wouldn't mind at all if I can build that into
something a but more substantial than just the current two artists on the
roster that I currently have, and I am working towards that... talking to a
few more bands & seeing if we can put something together that makes sense
for all parties involved. That's a hobby at this stage too, of course, but
we'll see where that can go. If nothing else, it affords me the ability to
contribute to the creative process with regard to music other than my own,
and it affords the artist the ability to get a product out there that's
better than what they could put together on their own.

but believe it or not, there are people who actually think that they

deserve a living
from their music and all they need to do is create and the world will
appreciate their efforts enough to sustain them.

Yeah, no kidding...believe it or not there are people in other industries
that feel the same way; but then you've probably encountered them as well,
so you know what I'm saying.
--

Neil Henderson
Saqqara Records

Andrea

wrote in message om...
"Andrea" wrote in message
om...
(Mike Rivers) wrote in message

In article

writes:

People make money recording music without having to sell it in album
form, there are so many other avenues to market music to, music is
everywhere.

This is very true. But a large number of people who write and play
music want to be stars, if only little stars. Commercial musicians and
writers can indeed make a decent living but nobody will ever know
their names.

Thanks to all the people who have diverted all of thier talents and
energies into trying to be stars, there is more money and less
competition for the
real money in music...

Wellllll... my "musical integrity meter" wants to lean in the direction
you're espousing, but my "reality-check meter" tends to hard-peg over to
the other side... there's certainly some room for what you're alluding to,
but you have to admit, the BIG levels of success are found in those who are
stars (most of whom have to work on it & divert some of their talents to
it, to some extent), and have the star-making machine behind them - and
ideally those who can combine the two.

It feels like a lot of people have "lotto fever",when it comes to
making music, and have shoved thier "reality-check meters" in a dusty
box in the back of the closet. They are so consumed by the rockstar
meme that there is no room for the "musical integrity meter", or the
"art for arts sake and art for making a living meter" either.
Andrea
http://www.andrearogers.com

knud

"they're a major indie label."

Where does the indie stop and the major start?

"I'm beginning to suspect that your problem is the gap between
what you say and what you think you have said."
-george (paraphrased)

Kurt Albershardt

Andrea wrote:

wrote in message om...

"Andrea" wrote in message
.com...

(Mike Rivers) wrote in message

In article

writes:

[...]

I remember talking with a friend in Austin a few years back, speaking about a particular band whose members were earning enough that "they didn't have to have day jobs." It was one of *very* few groups in town doing so. For those of you who aren't familiar with Austin, the town has a voracious appetite for live music.

Stephen Raiman

A label that has its own distribution network is a major. This covers
the 5 bigs, (Sony, BMG, EMI, Universal, and Warner) and their
subsidiaries.
Any label not owned by one of the three big majors, is an indie label.
They use outside distribution.

lahblah (knud) wrote in message ...
"they're a major indie label."

Where does the indie stop and the major start?

"I'm beginning to suspect that your problem is the gap between
what you say and what you think you have said."
-george (paraphrased)

EggHd

Any label not owned by one of the three big majors, is an indie label.
They use outside distribution.

Even if they are distributed by a major.