Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ray Thomas[_2_] Ray Thomas[_2_] is offline

Default PZM mics and pianos

I recently bought a used Milab MP30 PZM mic at low cost....it seems to work
fine, I'm just wondering what it's best application might be in a live
recording situation for acoustic music. Perhaps in front of a double bass or
cello on the floor, or inside a grand piano ? Does having just the one Milab
(as well as a variety of other SD mics) make it unusable for a piano
without a twin for stereo, or can it work in conjunction with conventional
mics in such a scenario (perhaps as a 'bass end mic') ? Where is the best
location for a plate mic.... inside or underneath a piano ? Finally, I've
often read of pairs of PZM's being 'taped under the lid' .....but what sort
of tape is acceptable to the owner of a high priced Steinway or Yamaha
grand.....surely not gaffa ? Imagine the fallout after lifting off even a
small chip of lid timber, or leaving residue that's hard to remove ? Does
anyone have guidance about attaching PZM's to pianos, since I can't imagine
they'd stay still if left to resonate on the frame ?
Thanks,
Ray

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

This might give you some ideas
http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/mics/127089.pdf
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Ray Thomas" wrote in message

[...]

My ancient Shure PZM is taped in place on the underside of the Kawai grand's
lid with Scotch industrial-strength double-sided adhesive tape. Right over
the middle of the metal frame. The tape came from Staples and is very
effective at everything but being removable. I don't know if it will ever be
removed.

When the piano went in for a thorough rebuild, the mic was left in place.
It's been there for at least 5 years. I spent about a year using carpet tape
to attach the mic, moving it around for best sound. Carpet tape would start
loosening after a few weeks. I eventually found the current attachment
point.

It takes a ton of parametric eq to make the signal from the PZM have nearly
the same tone as the live tone of that piano, but it is worth it the
trouble. Right now, all that happens when I boost the gain on the PZM is
that it gets louder. All the gain I want and no problems with feedback on
that mic. It blends almost perfectly with its natural sound out in the
room.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Grant David Grant is offline

"Ray Thomas" wrote in message
[...]

I've used Gaffer's tape on my lacquer finish Yamaha... Never any residue
left behind, but the timber is protected by the finish, so I can't comment
on the risk of that sort of damage.

I've used a single PZMs in the piano in conjunction with a main pair
capturing an entire ensemble, to give a bit more clarity/focus to the piano
sound and liked the results. I've never liked the sound of PZMs in pianos on
their own however.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Ray Thomas wrote:
[...]

The way I think about these things is that they exist to deal with slap
echo. If you have a performance with a very live stage and you can hear
the slap echo coming off the stage making for a boxy sound, putting a
pair of PZMs on the stage can deal with the problem. Likewise if you
have people around a conference table with a lot of echo from the table, or
weird echos from the front of a balcony.

I don't like the sound of the PZM taped under a piano lid, but if you want to
try it, use a good quality gaff tape like Anchor #22. It won't damage
the lacquer on the piano.

You can get the little booklet from Crown about PZM applications... I think
it's totally over the top and most of their suggestions aren't very good
ones, but you can give them a try. There was a huge fad for using PZMs for
all kinds of work back in the seventies and I am glad that has finally died
down, but they are still useful tools for dealing with echo problems.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

David Grant wrote:

I've used Gaffer's tape on my lacquer finish Yamaha... Never any residue
left behind, but the timber is protected by the finish, so I can't comment
on the risk of that sort of damage.

It's not all the same. I will sadly say that the "Pro Gaff" brand which
a certain DC area festival purchases in bulk is stickier but _will_ turn
to goo if left on cables for more than a week or so.

The Permacel tape seems to be better than that. For a long time I used to
use an Anchor brand tape which was weaker than most gaffer's tape, but
which consequently had less chance of damage when removed. Tape Warehouse
has stopped carrying that, though.

I've used a single PZMs in the piano in conjunction with a main pair
capturing an entire ensemble, to give a bit more clarity/focus to the piano
sound and liked the results. I've never liked the sound of PZMs in pianos on
their own however.

The comb filtering on the top end of the PZM gives a sort of airy quality
that some people seem to like. I don't really, but that's just me.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Ray Thomas" wrote ...
I recently bought a used Milab MP30 PZM mic at low cost....it seems to work
fine, I'm just wondering what it's best application might be in a live
recording situation for acoustic music. Perhaps in front of a double bass
or cello on the floor, or inside a grand piano ? Does having just the one
Milab (as well as a variety of other SD mics) make it unusable for a piano
without a twin for stereo, or can it work in conjunction with conventional
mics in such a scenario (perhaps as a 'bass end mic') ? Where is the best
location for a plate mic.... inside or underneath a piano ? Finally, I've
often read of pairs of PZM's being 'taped under the lid' .....

This seems to be the fate of the PZM fad. A "solution" in search of a
problem. They are *indispensible* in very particular applications, and
ridiculous in most others. The very embodiment of a "one-trick-pony".

Perhaps the most ridiculous I saw early in the fad era was an outdoor
orchestra concert where the sound guys put up a couple of huge
lighting stands and suspended 4-foot square pieces of plexiglas with
a Crown PZM mic in the center. I can't imagine what they thought
they were benefitting from it. But then the wind picked up and brought
one of the plexi pieces down like a spinning war kite. They were lucky
it didn't decapitate someone in the audience.

but what sort of tape is acceptable to the owner of a high priced Steinway
or Yamaha grand.....surely not gaffa ?

Genuine gaffer's tape (where did this word "gaffa" came from?) is
purposely made with lower-tac adhesive so that it will NOT harm
the surfaces it is stuck to. The modern product was invented many
decades ago for Hollywood productions and they use it by the mile
for everything.

It is available in dozens of colors and it is always handy to keep
some black, white, gray, and yellow (for safety marking, etc.) on
hand.

Not everything that claims to be "gaffer's tape" (or "gaffa") is the
real thing. And it bears only the slightest resemblance to any kind
of "duct tape" that you would find at a hardware or home improvement
store. If you don't have a vendor in your area that rents lights, stands
and other serious production equipment (not a "party supply" place),
then buy gaffer's tape online from a reputable vendor who specializes
in real production supplies for professionals.

If there is any doubt about your tape and a sensitive surface (such
as a piano, etc.) it is prudent to test the tape performance on some
hidden area where possible damage won't be significant.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Feb 3, 11:53*am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Ray Thomas" wrote ...

[...]

As long as we are on the subject, i have a question about PZM mics.

I think I understand the concept, the mic is placed at the boundry
where the incident and reflected wave can combine contructivley and
that eliminates and comb filtering or echo from the reflection from
the boundry.

My question is about pickup of vibration of the boundry, i.e in the
case of the piano, the lid will certainly vibrate, does the PCM mic
respond to the vibration..

In another case, on a stage, you want the mic to pick up the incidnet
and reflected waves of the voices, but what about the vibration from
foot noise conducted through the stage. Is a PZM mic mounted on a
stage designed somehow like a standard mic on a stand designed to be
isolated from the vibrations of the base (stand) it is mounted upon?

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , wrote:
On Feb 3, 11:53=A0am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Ray Thomas" wrote ...

I recently bought a used Milab MP30 PZM mic at low cost....it seems to w=

ork
fine, I'm just wondering what it's best application might be in a live
recording situation for acoustic music. Perhaps in front of a double bas=

or cello on the floor, or inside a grand piano ? Does having just the on=

Milab (as well as a variety of other SD mics) =A0make it unusable for a =

piano
without a twin for stereo, or can it work in conjunction with convention=

al
mics in such a scenario (perhaps as a 'bass end mic') ? =A0Where is the =

best
location for a plate mic.... inside or underneath a piano ? =A0Finally, =

I've
often read of pairs of PZM's being 'taped under the lid' .....

This seems to be the fate of the PZM fad. A "solution" in search of a
problem. They are *indispensible* in very particular applications, and
ridiculous in most others. The very embodiment of a "one-trick-pony".

Perhaps the most ridiculous I saw early in the fad era was an outdoor
orchestra concert where the sound guys put up a couple of huge
lighting stands and suspended 4-foot square pieces of plexiglas with
a Crown PZM mic in the center. =A0I can't imagine what they thought
they were benefitting from it. But then the wind picked up and brought
one of the plexi pieces down like a spinning war kite. They were lucky
it didn't decapitate someone in the audience.

but what sort of tape is acceptable to the owner of a high priced Stein=

way
or Yamaha grand.....surely not gaffa ?

Genuine gaffer's tape (where did this word "gaffa" came from?) is
purposely made with lower-tac adhesive so that it will NOT harm
the surfaces it is stuck to. The modern product was invented many
decades ago for Hollywood productions and they use it by the mile
for everything.

It is available in dozens of colors and it is always handy to keep
some black, white, gray, and yellow (for safety marking, etc.) on
hand.

Not everything that claims to be "gaffer's tape" (or "gaffa") is the
real thing. =A0And it bears only the slightest resemblance to any kind
of "duct tape" that you would find at a hardware or home improvement
store. =A0If you don't have a vendor in your area that rents lights, stan=

[...]

I was just thinking about a case where a PZM element is in a corner. Its
at the intersection of 3 boundries.

Sure the mic will vibrate, but it should be isolated somewhat and the plate itself
should be isolated somewhat.

I never made a test, but it would seem a PZM is directional, at least front to back
when used with a plate, but it seems to me there is also a sensitivity to angle ??
When sounds are arriving in phase at 90 degrees from center of the plate its at peak ??

greg

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

I think I understand the concept, the mic is placed at the boundry
where the incident and reflected wave can combine contructivley and
that eliminates and comb filtering or echo from the reflection from
the boundry.

My question is about pickup of vibration of the boundry, i.e in the
case of the piano, the lid will certainly vibrate, does the PCM mic
respond to the vibration..

Yes, and not only THAT, but the rest of the signal is slightly
frequency-modulated by the vibration. Vibration pickup in microphones
is bad!

In another case, on a stage, you want the mic to pick up the incidnet
and reflected waves of the voices, but what about the vibration from
foot noise conducted through the stage. Is a PZM mic mounted on a
stage designed somehow like a standard mic on a stand designed to be
isolated from the vibrations of the base (stand) it is mounted upon?

No, that would defeat the whole PZM thing. You can put it on a sheet of
rubber for isolation, but the only real solution is a solid stage with a
lot of mass.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

GregS wrote:

I was just thinking about a case where a PZM element is in a corner. Its
at the intersection of 3 boundries.

It ceases to be a PZM in that case. It's something else.. and Crown
actually sold a microphone built with three boundaries into a corner in
the early days although I forget what they call it.

Sure the mic will vibrate, but it should be isolated somewhat and the plate itself
should be isolated somewhat.

And the boundary effect is dramatically increased over a microphone on a
single panel.

I never made a test, but it would seem a PZM is directional, at least front to back
when used with a plate, but it seems to me there is also a sensitivity to angle ??
When sounds are arriving in phase at 90 degrees from center of the plate its at peak ??

There isn't supposed to be, but there is a change in the comb filtering as
you move on and off-axis.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On Feb 3, 7:33 am, "Ray Thomas" wrote:
[...]

Permacel Gaffer's tape comes off easily, and no rental company
I've heard of has ever bitched here in NY about using it on their
pianos. I have the same Milab PZM as you, and a good application is
also in front of a kick drum as a second mic. I have used it on a
piano lid, but you do need to add a bit of EQ sometimes. But DPA
makes these little magnetic mounts for some it's miniature omni mics
that attach inside the piano and I think that for jazz piano that's
one of the sounds I've been most happy with - even for live sound.

BTW, I always remove all tape from instruments, mic stands and
cables after a gig. Tape left on mic cables, that can get messy and
is my second typical complaint about equipment handling, right after
people who "over" when they should have "undered" (you have to wrap
cables like a lariat rope.)

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"WillStG" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Will (and everyone else for your replies)
I'd forgotten about the kick drum capability, and about the radical eq-ing
often needed to get these devices to sound good. I'll try for the good
quality, but low-medium stick tape....and rest assured I won't be leaving
the mic attached there, even 5 mins longer than the end of the concert !
I'm sure it's also a reasonable room ambience mic...and of course would
excel at conference table pickup ?
Ray

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article ,
"Ray Thomas" wrote:

[...]

My advice would be to avoid the pzm for piano, unless you have no other
choice. My Crown PZM's were not cheap, and I never liked their high end
on our grand piano.

I'd use them in a live concert venue 'tho.

I pretty much only use a PZM for a room sound these days. Stick it on a
wall with a loud guitar amp in the room to capture some natural ambience.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 01:12:28 -0500, david correia
wrote:

My advice would be to avoid the pzm for piano, unless you have no other
choice. My Crown PZM's were not cheap, and I never liked their high end
on our grand piano.

I think they're often used in positions where they're thought to LOOK
good, without too much thought of whether it's appropriate. "Oh look,
that piano's got a big flat wooden surface. You mount PZM's on big
flat surfaces, don't you?"
Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

wrote:
My advice would be to avoid the pzm for piano, unless you have no other
choice. My Crown PZM's were not cheap, and I never liked their high end
on our grand piano.

I think they're often used in positions where they're thought to LOOK
good, without too much thought of whether it's appropriate. "Oh look,
that piano's got a big flat wooden surface. You mount PZM's on big
flat surfaces, don't you?"

Well if you ever have to record drums in a small drumbooth or a
room with a really low ceiling, PZM's are great because the boundary
surface receives the least amount of reflections. But if you have one
on the floor for the kick and two on the ceiling, reverse polarity on
the kick or you'll have a mess.

Will Miho
MY TV/Audio Posat/Music/Live Sound Guy
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote in message

As long as we are on the subject, i have a question about
PZM mics.

I think I understand the concept, the mic is placed at
the boundary where the incident and reflected wave can
combine constructively and that eliminates and comb
filtering or echo from the reflection from the boundary.

So goes the advocate's story,

My question is about pickup of vibration of the boundary,
i.e in the case of the piano, the lid will certainly
vibrate, does the PZM mic respond to the vibration..

To some degree, yes.

However, you have to consider what a piano case is. It is a big
minimally-resonant, minimally-absorptive, minimally-transmittive box that
has an open bottom and a top that you open and shut to adjust the sound.
While not free of vibration, the case is not vibrating a lot.

In another case, on a stage, you want the mic to pick up
the incident and reflected waves of the voices, but what
about the vibration from foot noise conducted through the
stage.

To a large degree yes. If you search around, you will find that picking up
footfalls is supposedly one of their strengths. Obviously not so much a
strength if you don't want to pick up the sound of foot falls, which is the
more usual situation.

Is a PZM mic mounted on a stage designed somehow
like a standard mic on a stand designed to be isolated
from the vibrations of the base (stand) it is mounted
upon?

IME, not often.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
g g is offline

On Feb 4, 3:00*pm, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 18:07:07 GMT, (GregS)
wrote:

In article , (Don Pearce) wrote:
On 3 Feb 2009 14:54:40 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I was just thinking about a case where aPZMelement is in a corner. Its
at the intersection of 3 boundries.

It ceases to be aPZMin that case. *It's something else.. and Crown
actually sold a microphone built with three boundaries into a corner in
the early days although I forget what they call it.

No, it actually becomes a truePZM. A standardPZMon a flat surface
is only in the pressure zone for waves approaching normal to the
surface. For waves approaching from the side it is effectively a
normal mic, and can even be made with directivity, using the velocity
as well as the pressure. Once you are in a corner, pressure is all you
have.

I was thinking after I made the comment. A mic in the corner gets multiple (3)
bounces at high frequencies. In my mind, aPZMis trying to eliminate
bounces as much as possible.

greg

No, a mic in a corner doesn't get any bounces - there is no surface
facing it as a mirror.

My newsreader can NOT handle this post, using Google.

I was referring to a high frequency skip over 90 degrees. If the sound
source is
near a wall, its going to first go direct, then the later bounce from
the wall.

at least I have a word spell check here !!!!

greg
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

wrote:

In article , (Don Pearce) wrote:
[...]

Normally I don't see posts from Google, but I am not on my usual PC so
I don't have my filters in. Use a proper news service and all will be
well.

I was referring to a high frequency skip over 90 degrees. If the sound
source is
near a wall, its going to first go direct, then the later bounce from
the wall.

The mic is flush to all three walls - sound can not bounce off any
wall and hit the mic.

at least I have a word spell check here !!!!

I'm glad to hear it, but what are you talking about?

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article
,
WillStG wrote:

Well if you ever have to record drums in a small drumbooth or a
room with a really low ceiling, PZM's are great because the boundary
surface receives the least amount of reflections. But if you have one
on the floor for the kick and two on the ceiling, reverse polarity on
the kick or you'll have a mess.

Will Miho
MY TV/Audio Posat/Music/Live Sound Guy

Actually, you won't know whether you should flip the polarity until you
flip it and listen. And if you are working with drums, you'd better
check every mic.

I use the kick as the phase standard. And typically my overheads get
flipped. It gets real interesting with double mic-ing some of the toms
; You'll be amazed when all that bottom shows up with no eq.

Will's reminder is a valuable one. And it's a necessity whether you're
in a small room or a big one. *Always check the polarity of any
instrument that you use more than on mic on!*

If you don't have pre's with them, buy some xlr adapters that will do
it.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/300349.html

I'd say this 7 bucks is the best value in the world of recording that I
can think of if you don't have any polarity/phase buttons on your mic
pre's.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , (Don Pearce) wrote:
On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 12:13:30 -0800 (PST), G wrote:

On Feb 4, 3:00*pm, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 18:07:07 GMT, (GregS)
wrote:

In article , (Don

Pearce) wrote:
[...]

Spelling check. This reader does not have it. Its the only reader I have
liked for over 10 years. its old. Last time I set up Thunderbird for newsgroups, I deleted
ALL my mail Inbox. I don't like using combo programs, and this reader is
perfect for me.

I am drawing some angles, and you are probably right. I think I got it straight.

This worked this time. Every once in a great while, a post becomes imposible to reply
and somes times its aparent this version has compatibility problems. I use win 98
2K XP and Vista. I like W98SE and W2K

greg

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Grant David Grant is offline

I'd say this 7 bucks is the best value in the world of recording that I
can think of if you don't have any polarity/phase buttons on your mic
pre's.

(or a phase flip feature in your DAW software)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On Feb 4, 4:15 pm, david correia wrote:

Actually, you won't know whether you should flip the polarity until you
flip it and listen. And if you are working with drums, you'd better
check every mic.

I use the kick as the phase standard. And typically my overheads get
flipped. It gets real interesting with double mic-ing some of the toms
; You'll be amazed when all that bottom shows up with no eq.

Well generally I think the fewer mics the better. And I guess it
depends somewhat on whether you start with the overheads and use the
kick mic to fill in, or if you build the drum kit sound from the kick
up. For live sound I always have to start from the kick up, but for
some TV and Recording situations I have often gotten a better sound
with 1 to 4 kit mics then I ever did with 8-10, and it's a lot faster
too,

I had a lot of difficulty learning to get a good drum kit sound,
probably because I started with spot micing without the foundation of
knowing what a single mic moved around the room sounded like. And I
was observing some pretty good engineers too, documenting exact
placement of gear in the room, where mics were, etc.. In retrospect
it would likely have saved me a lot of learning time had I started
with minimalist techniques first, but maybe that's just me, some kids
today have a great sense of what good sound is coming in.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"David Grant" wrote:

I'd say this 7 bucks is the best value in the world of recording that I
can think of if you don't have any polarity/phase buttons on your mic
pre's.

(or a phase flip feature in your DAW software)

Yes, a great feature after the fact. But in Protools at least, you gotta
open a plugin to do that, which adds a bit of delay whether flipped or
not. It's tiny but too often for my tastes I can hear it. Try it with 2
mics on an acoustic guitar.

Of course you can add the same plug to 2 channels, but it's a pita for
every drumkit mic while tracking.

And even if you're running an HD system, the client may hear and be
affected by this delay. I never print tracks using plug ins. I use
outboard gear, which I prefer anyway.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

WillStG wrote:

[...]

Documenting what mics and where is a good start. But the whole wonderful
thing about drum sounds are 3 very independent variables: the kit
itself, the drummer, and the room. (The 4th variable is the skill and
gear of the engineer.)

The *exact* kit, room, and mic set up with a second drummer will sound
quite different. Which is why it takes years to conquer recording
rock/pop drums.

The problem with minimal mic-ing is what do you do if, while you're
mixing, the client says he/she wants a little more floor tom. And how
about a little less bottom on one of the rack toms? And maybe a little
more hat. And can your turn down those overheads a bit ... ;

I always tell budding engineers - and they think I'm kidding - if they
want great drum sounds, they should hire great drummers with great kits
who have lots of studio experience.

Drummers are like vocalists. They make noise. What you want is people
that make really good sounding noise.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Grant David Grant is offline

(or a phase flip feature in your DAW software)

Yes, a great feature after the fact. But in Protools at least, you gotta
open a plugin to do that, which adds a bit of delay whether flipped or
not. It's tiny but too often for my tastes I can hear it. Try it with 2
mics on an acoustic guitar.

Never used Protools, but Cubase has a phase flip switch on each channel in
the mixer, so it certainly doesn't hamper workflow in that sense.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
philper philper is offline

We use black paper tape for mics on instruments--like what painters
use but more expensive and black. Leaves surfaces unharmed. Beware
of gaffer or duct tape especially if the tape is left on for long
(days) or gets hot.
There was a period in which I did a lot of piano recording with PZMs
under the lid (closed). Good for isolation--wasn't ever very happy
with the sound. We also used them for many years as "air" and "floor"
mics in group discussions with people sitting in bleachers. Helpful,
low profile, wouldn't have used them if I could have gotten something
else in the shot. Also use them for a long time as crowd mics (taped
to walls) and as live theatre
mics (taped to lip of the stage). The walls often weren't where I
wanted the mics to be, so we don't do that anymore, but the stage lip
thing still works very well. The major use I have for PZMs now (now
Sanken Cub-1s)
is as plant mics in cars--for which they are THE BOMB. Best sounding
car-interior dialog I've ever done. Also useful (though much less so)
as low-profile instrument mics where mics can't be seen. I think the
PZM fad is well over, in general.

Philip Perkins
Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On Feb 7, 1:37 pm, david correia wrote:
In article
,

WillStG wrote:
[...]

Well I multimic when recording but use as few faders as
possible. You can always bring in the spot. And you have to pay
attention to the direction the mics are facing of course. That little
bit of out phase you might get from one mic could add up to a whole
lot of slosh when stretched out over a whole kit. Minimalist micing
(or listening?) does help you to figure out what's going on with all
that a little more clearly though.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy
Posted to rec.audio.pro

WillStG wrote:

That little
bit of out phase you might get from one mic could add up to a whole
lot of slosh when stretched out over a whole kit. Minimalist micing
(or listening?) does help you to figure out what's going on with all
that a little more clearly though.

Proper phase means the whole kit. It's one instrument. Lotsa mics but
one instrument.

The phase reference is always listening with the other mics. That's why
I said it gets hairy when you double mic a tom.

I was taught to capture real bottom when recording drums with mic
placement and phase and tuning the drums - not eq. I think it's fun
actually. And sure, I will add bottom with eq if I need to.

You build it slowly. For me, first the kick (never reversed, it will be
the standard), then overheads to the kick, then snare to oh and k, then
room mics to k,oh,s, then each tom to k,oh,s,room. I usually do the hat
last.

I wouldn't want to have to record a drumkit without having a phase
reverse on every pre. It makes a *huge* difference. One very, very
simple button. Sometimes my jaw drops when I press it.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com