Posted to rec.audio.pro
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default More phone patch q's

I have a friend who does a daily radio post. He simply picks up the
phone, calls the first station on his list, does his shtick, hangs up
and calls the next one. He's pretty popular in his genre, and TTBOMK,
has never had any complaints about audio quality.

That said, I'd think he could offer a much better product with just a
little upgrading on his end. Given that his audience is used to hearing
him speak over POTS, with absolutely no processing on his end; does
anyone have any suggestions on a minimal setup for this retired Dj?

Obviously a decent mic, some sort of preamp....

Since it's going over POTS--and that's not going to change--is there any
point in getting too sophisticated?

jak
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

jakdedert wrote:
I have a friend who does a daily radio post. He simply picks up the
phone, calls the first station on his list, does his shtick, hangs up
and calls the next one. He's pretty popular in his genre, and TTBOMK,
has never had any complaints about audio quality.

That said, I'd think he could offer a much better product with just a
little upgrading on his end. Given that his audience is used to hearing
him speak over POTS, with absolutely no processing on his end; does
anyone have any suggestions on a minimal setup for this retired Dj?

Find out if the stations on his list have ISDN feeds. If so, get him
a standalone ISDN codec with a built in mixer. Add an RE-20 and a pair
of headphones and you're good to go.

Since it's going over POTS--and that's not going to change--is there any
point in getting too sophisticated?

Why isn't it going to change? ISDN and now even internet delivery aren't
much more money, and of course you can charge the station more for them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Feb 8, 9:06*pm, jakdedert wrote:
I have a friend who does a daily radio post. *He simply picks up the
phone, calls the first station on his list, does his shtick, hangs up
and calls the next one. *He's pretty popular in his genre, and TTBOMK,
has never had any complaints about audio quality.

That said, I'd think he could offer a much better product with just a
little upgrading on his end. *Given that his audience is used to hearing
him speak over POTS, with absolutely no processing on his end; does
anyone have any suggestions on a minimal setup for this retired Dj?

Obviously a decent mic, some sort of preamp....

Since it's going over POTS--and that's not going to change--is there any
point in getting too sophisticated?

One of the all-in-one units that are designed for just this purpose,
like the Rane VP12 or Symetrix 528 (Pre - limiter/de-ess - EQ)
with an RE20 or SM7.

rd
Posted to rec.audio.pro
MG[_4_] MG[_4_] is offline

"RD Jones" wrote in message
[...]

He doesn't even need the ISDN. Record it at home, email the file to all the
stations at once. Quality as good as he wants it to be. The internet is a
handy thing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

MG wrote:

"RD Jones" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, it occurred to me that emailing a file would be a possibility. I
haven't actually 'heard' his program, since it's intended for outside of
this market. I know that he starts it out by mentioning the city which
he is addressing, and the station call sign. I don't know, but suspect,
there is some limited interaction with the on-air personnel at each
subscriber station.

jak

Connecting phone patch to DSL line? Charles Adams Pro Audio 3 February 8th 09 11:32 PM
Supply Cat5e Patch Cords,Cat5e Patch Cables,Network Patch Cables,Network Patch Cords,Unshielded Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cords [email protected] Pro Audio 1 April 12th 06 06:21 AM
USB Phone patch Mike Cleaver Pro Audio 0 December 12th 04 08:47 PM
Home Studio Phone Patch Don Good Pro Audio 7 November 3rd 04 05:02 PM
phone patch JL Pro Audio 11 October 7th 03 01:41 AM