Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] herron1967@yahoo.com is offline

Default how to hook up a speaker with one wire when two are needed

In a bathroom in my house I have a single in-ceiling speaker that is
intended to have two wires attached to it, one left and one right (the
speaker is a Polk Audio device--RC6s). However, there is one wire
(not two!) running from the ceiling to a low voltage box near the
bathroom counter. Ideally I am planning on taking a radio that can
power the speaker and putting it next to the box on the counter

I know that this situation is screwed up: there should be two wires
from the low voltage counter box to the speaker. If this were the
case I would not have any problems. There is no way, short of tearing
up walls, to get a second wire to the speaker. I do not want to tear
up walls.

Question: is it possible to tie the left and right outputs from my
radio or whatever so that the combine into a single wire? That is,
can I combine four leads into two leads? I could just connect the
left (or right) output from my radio to the speaker. Is there
anything else that can be done?

Thanks,

mh

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote ...
[...]

Combine the L+R at the radio and send the monaural signal into
your wire. Exactly HOW you do this depends on details about
your equipment you did not disclose here.

Assumption: "one wire" means a cable with TWO wires inside.
If you literally mean one copper conductor ("wire"), then there
is no way of ever getting ANY signal to the speaker. A "circuit"
requires TWO wires for a complete loop.

Assumption: You don't care about stereo since you are using
a single speaker anyway.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
. ..
Assumption: "one wire" means a cable with TWO wires inside.
If you literally mean one copper conductor ("wire"), then there
is no way of ever getting ANY signal to the speaker. A "circuit"
requires TWO wires for a complete loop.

Actually "one wire" is sufficient if he has a suitable earth connection
available at both ends.
I doubt that is what he meant though.

MrT.