Default CD Players sound the same?

Roger Russell says that not all CDP sound the same. I, for one, agree with
him as I have experienced these differences myself.

I do have one question. Has anyone else experienced these differences that
Roger describes at http://www.roger-russell.com/truth/truth.htm#cd ?

Below is an excerpt from his webpage regarding this.

-------------------------------
"Do all CD Players Sound the Same?

Tests for response and distortion in CD players all turn out very well. The
measurements show that distortion is extremely low and response is ruler
flat. CD players have eliminated the differences between phono cartridges.
They have also eliminated pops and clicks and those inevitable scratches on
the records that seem to appear out of nowhere. They have also eliminated
problems of dust, turntable rumble and playback loss. Despite all of these
advantages, there are still listening differences.

If you have only heard one CD player, you will have enjoyed all of the
advantages without being aware that there are still differences. In an A-B
comparison, response is the same, even when compared with a steady source
such as pink noise. Harmonic and intermodulation distortion are so low that
the players all sound very clean.

The difference is something new and may require a readjustment to know what
to listen for. The difference is in imaging. It is most easily heard using
speakers that have exceptional imaging capabilities. It is almost
impossible to convey a listening experience in words. However, I will try
to describe what I have heard. I have used a McIntosh MCD7005, McIntosh
MVP851and a McIntosh MVP851 supplemented with a McIntosh MDA1000 digital to
analog converter for the listening tests. I made these tests in late 2004
and early 2005.

Imaging using the 7005 appears to be very wide and pleasing with orchestral
music. Some new age recordings seem to completely envelop the listener.
It’s all very nice. It was only when I began using the 851 that I noticed
there was a difference in imaging. Classical music sounded like it had much
better coherence, giving it more clarity and sense of aliveness. However,
it was more than just imaging. It was a new kind of distortion difference,
more like a phase distortion that affected the coherence of the image. The
851 was made in 2004 and the older 7005 was made in 1987.

The explanation had a definite physical cause. It was the digital-to-analog
filtering. The filtering was significantly improved in the 851. What I was
hearing was confirmed by McIntosh engineering. It was also pointed out that
some people preferred the sound of the lesser filtering. I was in agreement
when it came to new age music. I liked being enveloped in the sound.
However, the spaciousness provided in some new age music is all
synthesized. There is no real world reference to hearing this music except
through loudspeakers or headphones, whereas, classical music has a real
world reference and it is that which guided my decision in my search for
improved accuracy. I accepted the new age music, with the improved
filtering, as it was probably intended to be that way.

The experiment went further when I added the 1000 D-to-A converter to the
851. The digital output of the 851 is fed to the D-to-A converter prior to
the filtering. The 1000 converts the digital signals to 786 kHz with 24 bit
resolution before converting to analog. This is literally the best
filtering possible. The kind of listening experience was similar but not as
pronounced. There was a further improvement in coherence and a little more
loss of separateness between the speakers. The difference was getting to
the point that it wasn’t always audible, depending on the program material.
Having heard this further improvement, it became my new reference.

So what was the problem in the first place? It was the sampling rate of
44.1 kHz. It is the criticism of many who voiced their opinion and
complaints. It was too low in frequency. The problem was not that we can’t
hear that high or even half that high. It was in the restoration to the
analog form and the digital-to-analog filtering that was inadequate. It
didn’t cause a response problem, it caused a spatial or imaging problem..
So why don’t all players have better filtering? Better D-to-A filtering is
expensive and a separate D-to-A converter is grossly expensive. The MDA1000
sells for $8000.

Perhaps decisions are money oriented. The improvements are slight in
comparison to what would be a greatly increased cost for CD players. Most
consumers would not notice the difference in listening but would notice the
higher cost of the players, which would affect the sales of CDs. In fact,
the MP3 format goes in the opposite direction and is very popular

The SACD format offers a higher sampling rate and avoids the problem. It is
said to be much closer to the original analog sound and analog recordings
like tape and vinyl. It is also said that using the MDA1000 offers sound as
good as analog. Other formats are being tried such as DVD sound."
---------------------------------

rich

Arny Krueger

R wrote:
[...]

Roger gets a lot of things right, but this time he's way off base.

In fact doing close comparisons of CD players is one of the tougher
A/B games there is to play. Level-matching is easy but time-synch is
tough because the players always seem to want to wander off. While the
playback speed is often controlled by a 0.005% crystal or resonator,
even that fine tolerance allows audible delays to built up fairly
quickly.

IME the most likely source of sonic differences between optical
players relates to more prozaic almost non-audio things like error
recovery and concealment., and handling of CD-Rs.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:31:22 GMT, R wrote:

Roger Russell says that not all CDP sound the same. I, for one, agree with
him as I have experienced these differences myself.

I do have one question. Has anyone else experienced these differences that
Roger describes at http://www.roger-russell.com/truth/truth.htm#cd ?

No.

I have a Pioneer 'Chinky cheapy' DV-575A universal player which in
level-matched time-synchronised DBT comparison, is not sonically
distinguishable (by three very experienced listeners) from a Meridian
588, an arguably 'state of the art' dedicated CD player which uses the
same type of upsampled D/A conversion described by Roger. The Pioneer
cost £109, the 588 is more than £2,000.

"Arny Krueger" wrote in news:zs2dnRa9kLS8ycjfRVn-
:

R wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your response Arny. I will take it that your answer to my
question is "No".

I must ask one question if you don't mind. What is the basic design type
of your speakers? Flat panel, pont source are possible answers. If point
source ae they a MTM, TM, or something else.

Just to set the record straight, Roger is using the same optics for his
tests. He selects the analog output of the CDP or the analog output of the
outboard DAC.

rich

Stewart Pinkerton

R wrote:
[...]

That makes synch a doddle, but I hope he matches the output levels.

Arny Krueger

R wrote:
Roger Russell says that not all CDP sound the same. I, for one,
agree with him as I have experienced these differences myself.

I do have one question. Has anyone else experienced these
differences that Roger describes at
http://www.roger-russell.com/truth/truth.htm#cd ?

Below is an excerpt from his webpage regarding this.

Thanks for your response Arny. I will take it that your answer to

my
question is "No".

Roger! ;-)

I must ask one question if you don't mind. What is the basic design
type of your speakers? Flat panel, point source are possible

answers.
If point source ae they a MTM, TM, or something else.

My personal speakers are immaterial to this question, since I've ABX'd
CD players on so many different systems over the past 20+ years. At
least one pair of each, plus assorted earphones and headphones.

Just to set the record straight, Roger is using the same optics for
his tests. He selects the analog output of the CDP or the analog
output of the outboard DAC.

That isn't what his article seems to say. He says

"If you have only heard one CD player, you will have enjoyed all of
the
advantages without being aware that there are still differences."

Therefore its fair to conclude that at least some of his tests are of
different CD players.

I seriously doubt that he's *all* hitting basics which a

(1) Level-matched
(2) Time-synched (within a few mSec)
(3) Double Blind

Now (2) would seem to be ensured by what appears to be a comparison
between a stand-alone DAC and the DAC in his CD player, but that seems
to ignore a number of potentially uncontrolled factors.

"Arny Krueger" wrote in news:3t2dnW5sMIB5D8jfRVn-
:

R wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your cooperation. Headphones and speakers is good enough for
me.

Just to set the record straight, Roger is using the same optics for
his tests. He selects the analog output of the CDP or the analog
output of the outboard DAC.

That isn't what his article seems to say.

Bringing up test procedures really is outside of the the scope of this
particular discussion but thanks for your concern and advice.

rich

Colin B.

In rec.audio.tech R wrote:
Roger Russell says that not all CDP sound the same. I, for one, agree with
him as I have experienced these differences myself.

I do have one question. Has anyone else experienced these differences that
Roger describes at http://www.roger-russell.com/truth/truth.htm#cd ?

Below is an excerpt from his webpage regarding this.

Interesting stuff. I would agree that not all CD players sound alike,
although the differences are small. However when he talks about imaging,
I start to get queasy. The beauty of imaging as a measure for audio quality,
is that it's an unmeasurable quantity, and thus no one can prove you wrong.

I also intuitively like the idea that the biggest problem with the 44.1kHz
sampling rate is in the difficulty of converting it back to analog, and
filtering it at that point. It certainly seems the most likely point to
be introducing distortion to the signal.

As for his testing though? Doesn't look particularly comprehensive or
conclusive to me. Anyways, if someone REALLY wanted to reproduce the
sound of a turntable, why don't they create a box to add very low level
hum, rumble, and random noise all completely phase-independent? That would
probably do an excellent job of it, and cost a lot less than the $8k DAC
he used for testing.

Colin
dave weil

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:39:14 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

In fact doing close comparisons of CD players is one of the tougher
A/B games there is to play. Level-matching is easy but time-synch is
tough because the players always seem to want to wander off. While the
playback speed is often controlled by a 0.005% crystal or resonator,
even that fine tolerance allows audible delays to built up fairly
quickly.

If this is the case, then, as Howard would say, all bets are off with
using A/B comparisons.
MINe 109

"Colin B." wrote:

Anyways, if someone REALLY wanted to reproduce the
sound of a turntable, why don't they create a box to add very low level
hum, rumble, and random noise all completely phase-independent?

For one thing, the ideal turntable wouldn't have hum and rumble.

Stephen

All discussions of CD comparisons are a case of the blind leading the
blind because no one builds CD transports sufficiently well calibrated
and instrumented to give good data on exactly what they are doing on a
real time basis. It's possible but it isn't done.

Also, there is little question that a higher sample rate would have
beneficial aspects. 44.1 was determined by predetermined edicts of
disc size and playing time-it had to fit a drive that would fit a PC
drive bay and play Beethoven's Eroica on one disc, one side. 44.1 was
the result of being the highest bit density they figured was
productionable with the existing process limitations.

A serious player-really serious-would have a ovenized clock or a
connection for an external reference. However, since CD players are now
very much cheaper than ovenized crystal frequency standards-a
ridiculous situation on the face of it-it's unlikely.

Schizoid Man

wrote in message

Also, there is little question that a higher sample rate would have
beneficial aspects. 44.1 was determined by predetermined edicts of
disc size and playing time-it had to fit a drive that would fit a PC
drive bay and play Beethoven's Eroica on one disc, one side. 44.1 was
the result of being the highest bit density they figured was
productionable with the existing process limitations.

The sampling frequency is also a function of the technology used. For a
regular red book CD that is encoded using PCM, you have 16-bit 'words' that
are being sampled at 44.1 kHz.

If I remember Nyquist's Theorem correctly, if you sample at any rate
exceeding double the bandwidth you will reproduce the signal in its
entirety.

Because the human ear has got an upper limit of 20 kHz, any sampling rate
over 40 kHz will be high enough for the law of diminishing returns to
become the law of zero returns.

Colin B.

In rec.audio.tech MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Colin B." wrote:

Anyways, if someone REALLY wanted to reproduce the
sound of a turntable, why don't they create a box to add very low level
hum, rumble, and random noise all completely phase-independent?

For one thing, the ideal turntable wouldn't have hum and rumble.

Yes, but which turntable is ideal? I'll grant that a high quality table
and cartridge set up properly can sound VERY VERY good, but there are too
many factors (some random) that can't be eliminated in picking up minute
vibrations while in the air.

It's my firm belief that the ideal turntable would sound like a high
quality CD player. (or maybe SACD, if you want the extra comfort). Anything
"analog" that isn't reproduced in the digital systems are flaws.

Arny Krueger

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Colin B." wrote:

Anyways, if someone REALLY wanted to reproduce the
sound of a turntable, why don't they create a box to add very low
level hum, rumble, and random noise all completely

phase-independent?

For one thing, the ideal turntable wouldn't have hum and rumble.

They are part of the reason that some people prefer the *wamth* of
vinyl. The warmth is just a perception of hum and rumble.

Arny Krueger

Colin B. wrote:

It's my firm belief that the ideal turntable would sound like a high
quality CD player.

Agreed.

"Schizoid Man" wrote in
:

wrote in message

[...]

Everything you mentioned above is true and correct.

The selection of D-A converters, the circuit topology surrounding the D-As,
the number of D-As, the signal filtering, chip decoupling circuitry, and
finally the analog section will all make an audible difference. There are
a few other things that can affect the sound but I believe those listed
above make the biggest differences and coincidentally also comprise of the
differences between a low quality player and a high quality player. I
assert that these differences, when taken together, are generally audible
to the average experienced listener.

rich

MINe 109

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Colin B." wrote:

Anyways, if someone REALLY wanted to reproduce the
sound of a turntable, why don't they create a box to add very low
level hum, rumble, and random noise all completely

phase-independent?

For one thing, the ideal turntable wouldn't have hum and rumble.

They are part of the reason that some people prefer the *wamth* of
vinyl. The warmth is just a perception of hum and rumble.

Even so, or people would prefer lesser turntables.

Stephen
MINe 109

"Colin B." wrote:

Anyways, if someone REALLY wanted to reproduce the
sound of a turntable, why don't they create a box to add very low level
hum, rumble, and random noise all completely phase-independent?

For one thing, the ideal turntable wouldn't have hum and rumble.

Yes, but which turntable is ideal? I'll grant that a high quality table
and cartridge set up properly can sound VERY VERY good, but there are too
many factors (some random) that can't be eliminated in picking up minute
vibrations while in the air.

You could always put the turntable in the next room...

It's my firm belief that the ideal turntable would sound like a high
quality CD player. (or maybe SACD, if you want the extra comfort). Anything
"analog" that isn't reproduced in the digital systems are flaws.

I've found having a very good cd player has helped me to better evaluate
lp playback.

Stephen

Clyde Slick

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Colin B." wrote:

Anyways, if someone REALLY wanted to reproduce the
sound of a turntable, why don't they create a box to add very low
level hum, rumble, and random noise all completely

phase-independent?

For one thing, the ideal turntable wouldn't have hum and rumble.

They are part of the reason that some people prefer the *wamth* of
vinyl. The warmth is just a perception of hum and rumble.

No, that has nothing to do with the warmth of vinyl.

MINe 109 wrote in
:

"Colin B." wrote:

[...]

I think it could work the other way as well Stephen. It all depends what
your goals are and what characteristic you are trying to evaluate.

rich

Mr.T

"R" wrote in message
.11...
It is also said that using the MDA1000 offers sound as
good as analog.

Is it really THAT bad?

A digital system that only sounded as good as existing analog systems is
broken IMO.

MrT.

Mr.T

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
I seriously doubt that he's *all* hitting basics which a

(1) Level-matched
(2) Time-synched (within a few mSec)
(3) Double Blind

Frankly I think the need for time sync, or even level matched, is
over-rated.
I prefer to let the user just start and stop and change levels however they
want.
**** Just as they would when using any system at home ***

And double blind is only important ***IF*** they can pass a single blind
test.
Not common IME.

MrT.

Mr.T

wrote in message
oups.com...
A serious player-really serious-would have a ovenized clock or a
connection for an external reference. However, since CD players are now
very much cheaper than ovenized crystal frequency standards-a
ridiculous situation on the face of it-it's unlikely.

But since people readily accept speed variations millions of times greater,
what is the point?

MrT.

Mr.T

"MINe 109" wrote in message
For one thing, the ideal turntable wouldn't have hum and rumble.

Nor would the ideal record have large amounts of noise and distortions.
Unfortunately in the real world they do.

MrT.

Mr.T

Colin B. wrote:

It's my firm belief that the ideal turntable would sound like a high
quality CD player.

Agreed.

Only with non existent "ideal" records as well.

MrT.

Mr.T

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
They are part of the reason that some people prefer the *wamth* of
vinyl. The warmth is just a perception of hum and rumble.

I disagree with that. IMO the warmth of analog is associated with it's
usually rolled off HF response and large amounts of low order harmonic
distortions.

MrT.

Geoff Wood

"Colin B." wrote in message

It's my firm belief that the ideal turntable would sound like a high
quality CD player. (or maybe SACD, if you want the extra comfort).
Anything
"analog" that isn't reproduced in the digital systems are flaws.

Apart from a lack of around 40dB in the s/n department, and relatively high
THD from the rock on the stick, and variations in cartridge characteristics,
and variations in performance across the radius of the record, and teh flaws
of the vinyl itsef, etc , etc, etc .

geoff

Geoff Wood

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Colin B." wrote:

Anyways, if someone REALLY wanted to reproduce the
sound of a turntable, why don't they create a box to add very low
level hum, rumble, and random noise all completely

phase-independent?

For one thing, the ideal turntable wouldn't have hum and rumble.

They are part of the reason that some people prefer the *wamth* of
vinyl. The warmth is just a perception of hum and rumble.

I thought it was the hf limitation.

geoff

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in news:4256082a$0$5399$afc38c87
@news.optusnet.com.au:

"R" wrote in message
.11...
It is also said that using the MDA1000 offers sound as
good as analog.

Is it really THAT bad?

A digital system that only sounded as good as existing analog systems is
broken IMO.

MrT.

I believe what he means is fine analog which was, and still is, extremely
rare.

Mr.T

"R" wrote in message
1...
A digital system that only sounded as good as existing analog systems is
broken IMO.

I believe what he means is fine analog which was, and still is, extremely
rare.

And still extremely inferior to good digital.

MrT.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 23:18:16 GMT, MINe 109

"Colin B." wrote:

Anyways, if someone REALLY wanted to reproduce the
sound of a turntable, why don't they create a box to add very low level
hum, rumble, and random noise all completely phase-independent?

For one thing, the ideal turntable wouldn't have hum and rumble.

Unfortunately, they all do - and so do the cutting lathes.........

Stewart Pinkerton

Colin B. wrote:

It's my firm belief that the ideal turntable would sound like a high
quality CD player.

Agreed.

Only with non existent "ideal" records as well.

That be the real problem. I was once fortunate enough to hear the
legendary Rockport Sirius III with a Clearaudio Insider cartridge, all
set up by Andy Payor himself. While certainly about the best I'd ever
heard from vinyl, it still suffered weak low bass, splashy treble,
surface noise, clicks and inner-groove distortion. Why? Because it was
playing *vinyl*. Had Andy played some solo piano rather than an
acoustic jazz ensemble, there would almost certainly have been some
audible wow, not from the turntable but from fractional eccentricity
in the record.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 02:08:50 GMT, R wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in news:dfOdnfOHn5DufMjfRVn-
:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Colin B." wrote:

Anyways, if someone REALLY wanted to reproduce the
sound of a turntable, why don't they create a box to add very low
level hum, rumble, and random noise all completely

phase-independent?

For one thing, the ideal turntable wouldn't have hum and rumble.

They are part of the reason that some people prefer the *wamth* of
vinyl. The warmth is just a perception of hum and rumble.

Well, I certainly don't associate hum and rumble with warmth. I maintain
that a well desinged, built and installed turntable will have inaudible
levels of rumble and hum.

Please direct me to the emporium vending such a turntable.....

Also, direct me to where I can buy vinyl made from a master entirely
free of such defects.

"Colin B." wrote in
:

?

[...]

I think you are reading more into what he has written.

From his website he says "It is also said that using the MDA1000 offers
sound as good as analog." meaning those aren't his words, but someone
else's.

Let's look at the imaging question.

Roger says, "Imaging using the 7005 appears to be very wide with orchestral
music but there was separateness of the sound with the left and right
speakers. I had always assumed this was the way the recordings were made.
On the other hand, some new age recordings seemed to completely envelop the
listener. That was very pleasing. It was only when I began using the 851
that I noticed there was a difference in imaging. Classical music sounded
like it had much better coherence and less separateness, giving it more
clarity and sense of aliveness. However, it was more than just imaging. It
was a new kind of distortion difference, more like a phase distortion of
some kind that affected the coherence of the image. The 851 was made in
2004 and the older 7005 was made in 1987.

The explanation had a definite physical cause. It was the digital-to-analog
filtering. The filtering was significantly improved in the 851. What I was
hearing was confirmed by McIntosh engineering."

Given that what he is hearing is very real as it was confirmed by the
engineers at McIntosh, has anyone else experienced similar changes in
imaging after upgrading to a better CDP?

Why not try to see if you can hear what Roger is hearing. Plug in that old
CD player and see if you can or cannot hear what Roger is describing. Try
a few different recordings from different labels.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 7 Apr 2005 16:28:42 -0700, wrote:

All discussions of CD comparisons are a case of the blind leading the
blind because no one builds CD transports sufficiently well calibrated
and instrumented to give good data on exactly what they are doing on a
real time basis. It's possible but it isn't done.

Exactly what they are doing, is reading with an uncorrected but
concealed error rate of less than one in ten *million* samples. That's
one sub-millisecond 'best guess' about every five minutes. Do you
suppose that anyone cares about error rates that low? Do you believe
that there's *any* chance of such errors being audible?

Also, there is little question that a higher sample rate would have
beneficial aspects.

Actually, there's a great deal of question that there's any *audible*
difference.

44.1 was determined by predetermined edicts of
disc size and playing time-it had to fit a drive that would fit a PC
drive bay and play Beethoven's Eroica on one disc, one side. 44.1 was
the result of being the highest bit density they figured was
productionable with the existing process limitations.

Actually no, 44.1k was chosen because it fits the frame rate of the
video recorders which were used for early CD production.

Furthermore, CD drives for PCs did not appear until many years after
CD took off. CD was launched in the same year as the IBM PC, which
used 160KB 5.25 inch floppy disks for 'mass storage'. A CD of that
diameter could contain more than 100 minutes of music, and close to
1GB of data - utterly pointless for personal computer use in 1982!

A serious player-really serious-would have a ovenized clock or a
connection for an external reference.

Why? With the clocks currently used in an average player, accuracy is
better than 100ppm, which is *way* below what even someone with
'perfect pitch' can discriminate.

However, since CD players are now
very much cheaper than ovenized crystal frequency standards-a
ridiculous situation on the face of it-it's unlikely.

And utterly unnecessary. Akin to putting a V-8 on a bicycle........

Stewart Pinkerton

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 01:55:39 GMT, R wrote:

The selection of D-A converters, the circuit topology surrounding the D-As,
the number of D-As, the signal filtering, chip decoupling circuitry, and
finally the analog section will all make an audible difference.

I believe you mean *can* make a difference. In practice, they seldom
do, unless the designer *really* screwed up. Usually, you have to pay
several thousand dollars to obtain this degree of incompetence.......

There are
a few other things that can affect the sound but I believe those listed
above make the biggest differences and coincidentally also comprise of the
differences between a low quality player and a high quality player. I
assert that these differences, when taken together, are generally audible
to the average experienced listener.

I have *evidence* that this seldom occurs. Do you have any *evidence*
to back your assertion?

Clyde Slick

"MINe 109" wrote in message

I've found having a very good cd player has helped me to better evaluate
lp playback.

I have found that a very good turntable sa helped me to better
evaluate cd playback.

Arny Krueger

Mr.T wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
I seriously doubt that he's *all* hitting basics which a

(1) Level-matched
(2) Time-synched (within a few mSec)
(3) Double Blind

Frankly I think the need for time sync, or even level matched, is
over-rated.

I can ace any DBT that is not time synched within maybe 10
milliseconds.

I prefer to let the user just start and stop and change levels
however they want.

I agree with letting the user start and stop and change levels
whenevery they want to as long as the three *basics* I list above are
kept in force.

It is very easy to do DBTs of just about *anything* and let the user
start and stop and change levels, and keep the three *basics* in place
with the PCABX test methodology.

**** Just as they would when using any system at home ***

And double blind is only important ***IF*** they can pass a single
blind test.

All a single blind test is, is a defective double blind test. Again,
PCABX methodologies make it all very easy.