Curious

Default 1-Bit Wave File?

I am looking for audio software that allows conversion of 16-bit WAVs
and 8-bit WAVs to 1-bit WAVs. I have used Adobe Audition and CakeWalk
Pyro. Neither of them work. CakeWalk does have a "bit-depth converter"
as a FX, however, when I try to use it, I get a runtime error and
Cakewalk automatically closes.
Robert Gault

Curious wrote:

I am looking for audio software that allows conversion of 16-bit WAVs
and 8-bit WAVs to 1-bit WAVs. I have used Adobe Audition and CakeWalk
Pyro. Neither of them work. CakeWalk does have a "bit-depth converter"
as a FX, however, when I try to use it, I get a runtime error and
Cakewalk automatically closes.

Do you really want a 1-bit on/off signal or did you mean to ask about
1-bit delta sigma modulation?

Tachyon

On 2004-05-16, Curious wrote:
I am looking for audio software that allows conversion of 16-bit WAVs
and 8-bit WAVs to 1-bit WAVs. I have used Adobe Audition and CakeWalk
Pyro. Neither of them work. CakeWalk does have a "bit-depth converter"
as a FX, however, when I try to use it, I get a runtime error and
Cakewalk automatically closes.

The software in the Roland SP-808 lets you do this...in real time,
even. You use a knob to select the number of bits. Plus, it lets you
adjust the sample rate and even whether
or not you want the noise-shaping filter turned on!

p.s. I found this link on Randy Yates' page about noise-shaping...

http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr/noiseb.ps

I think a line from that paper may answer Randy's question about
WHY you want to do this:

"...quantisation of highly correlated signals (such as music) results
in tonal distortion components being added to the signal."

rock and roll,
-N

--
different MP3 every day! http://gweep.net/~shifty/snackmaster
. . . . . . . . ... . . . . . .
Tachyon

Tachyon

Tachyon

Geoff Wood

Tachyon wrote:

I think a line from that paper may answer Randy's question about
WHY you want to do this:

"...quantisation of highly correlated signals (such as music) results
in tonal distortion components being added to the signal."

A little understanding can be a dangerous thing.

With a 1 bit PCM data stream, there is effectively no recogisable signal. I
think Randy may have been talking about bit-depths down to around 8 bits.
However even this quanisation noise is not a type of distortion that is
likely to sound in any way pleasant in pretty much any style of music.

geoff

Jon Harris

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message
Tachyon wrote:

I think a line from that paper may answer Randy's question about
WHY you want to do this:

"...quantisation of highly correlated signals (such as music) results
in tonal distortion components being added to the signal."

A little understanding can be a dangerous thing.

With a 1 bit PCM data stream, there is effectively no recogisable signal. I
think Randy may have been talking about bit-depths down to around 8 bits.
However even this quanisation noise is not a type of distortion that is
likely to sound in any way pleasant in pretty much any style of music.

Even with 1 bit, if properly dithered, you should be able to recognize the
signal, though it will be buried in noise. I'm wondering the OP wants to
convert to some type of SACD (1-bit but very high SR) format?

Tachyon

On 2004-05-18, Geoff Wood -nospam wrote:
Tachyon wrote:

I think a line from that paper may answer Randy's question about
WHY you want to do this:

"...quantisation of highly correlated signals (such as music) results
in tonal distortion components being added to the signal."

A little understanding can be a dangerous thing.

With a 1 bit PCM data stream, there is effectively no recogisable signal. I
think Randy may have been talking about bit-depths down to around 8 bits.
However even this quanisation noise is not a type of distortion that is
likely to sound in any way pleasant in pretty much any style of music.

Fans of the Atari 2600 sound chip TIA beg to differ Each of its
voices is capable of about 6 unique waveforms,
each of which is a train of 0's and 1's.

Additionally, square and PWM waveforms, staples of much electronic music,
are 1-bit waveforms.

Curiously enough, the TIA can't quite make 50% duty cycle square
waves, but several close matches, like 15/31

--
different MP3 every day! http://gweep.net/~shifty/snackmaster
. . . . . . . . ... . . . . . .
"Maybe if you ever picked up a goddamn keyboard | Niente
and compiler, you'd know yourself." -Matthew 7:1 |
Tachyon

Tachyon

Tachyon

Jerry Avins

On 2004-05-18, Geoff Wood -nospam wrote:

Tachyon wrote:

[...]

That's all gobbledygook for all the OP cares. He wants to CONVERT .wav
files to 1-bit form. Either he knows why he wants it, or he doesn't know
what he wants. Either way, talk of TIA and PWM won't help him.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Jerry Avins

Jerry Avins

Jerry Avins

Tachyon

On 2004-05-18, Geoff Wood -nospam wrote:

Tachyon wrote:

[...]

Hey man,

I'm just sticking up for 1-bit waveforms!

--
different MP3 every day! http://gweep.net/~shifty/snackmaster
. . . . . . . . ... . . . . . .
"Maybe if you ever picked up a goddamn keyboard | Niente
and compiler, you'd know yourself." -Matthew 7:1 |
Tachyon

Tachyon

Tachyon

Randy Yates

Tachyon shiftyATATATsidehack.sat.gweep.net writes:
[...]
p.s. I found this link on Randy Yates' page about noise-shaping...

http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr/noiseb.ps

I think a line from that paper may answer Randy's question about
WHY you want to do this:

"...quantisation of highly correlated signals (such as music) results
in tonal distortion components being added to the signal."

Hey Tachyon,

So you're assuming that the OP wants to do this in order to implement
some sort of musical effect? An interesting possibility.

My question was intended to be taken at face value. I was asking about
the OP's intention, not implying that one shouldn't do such a thing.
My gut feeling is that he wanted to create a 1-bit delta sigma
bitstream (which won't happen if you merely convert to a 1-bit
stream), but I don't really know. That's why I asked.

rock and roll,
-N

Hey Tachyon, nice screen name. I bet the Romulans don't like you
too much, though...
--
% Randy Yates % "The dreamer, the unwoken fool -
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % in dreams, no pain will kiss the brow..."

AUDIO FILE EDIT: HELP PLS! DL General 2 February 21st 04 11:05 PM
What Software for Editing Sound on PC SPS22 Audio Opinions 123 January 27th 04 12:58 AM
wave file to cd r Randy General 3 January 15th 04 04:57 PM
wave file duration incorrect x-cons Pro Audio 7 December 18th 03 05:32 PM
unknown audio file format M.Laymon General 1 October 31st 03 03:25 PM