Randy Yates

Default Question to Arny Krueger: 128 kbps MP3 Vs. CD - Is The DifferenceAudible?

Arny,

Given a relatively good MP3 encoder, has any of your ABX testing been
able to quantify whether or not people can reliable detect the
difference between a CD recording and 128 kbps MP3?
--
% Randy Yates % "Watching all the days go by...
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % Who are you and who am I?"
Charles Tomaras

"Randy Yates" wrote in message
Arny,

Given a relatively good MP3 encoder, has any of your ABX testing been
able to quantify whether or not people can reliable detect the
difference between a CD recording and 128 kbps MP3?

Doesn't take special tests to hear the difference at 128kbps for any of the
codecs that I have heard. The differences are pretty obvious to most astute
listeners even on moderately priced equipment. As a jazz fan I really hear
it on the high end of cymbals with swirly sort of phase issues.

Arny Krueger

"Randy Yates" wrote in message

Given a relatively good MP3 encoder, has any of your ABX testing been
able to quantify whether or not people can reliable detect the
difference between a CD recording and 128 kbps MP3?

As a rule, its possible to hear at last slight differences, especially if
you pick the music to exploit the failings of the coder.

Svante

Randy Yates wrote in message ...
Arny,

Given a relatively good MP3 encoder, has any of your ABX testing been
able to quantify whether or not people can reliable detect the
difference between a CD recording and 128 kbps MP3?

Pardon me for responding to a question not directed to me, but I think
I have some input to this. I have a group of undergraduate students
every year that perform A/B testing on mp3 compression. Their task is
to find compressors on the web, rip a few CDs of their choice and to
run A/B testing with a software supplied by me. The software
randomises the testing, so they can do it without too big risk of
errors. I am not present during the tests, however. 99% confidence is
required (7 correct responses of 7 tries or equivalent).
Last year the students tested three encoders. According to their
report they tested Lame, bladeenc and mpegenc. They tested 8 CDs. At
128 mbit/s and with the lame encoder they managed to detect 3 of these
8. Same number for the other two encoders was 7 of 8. At 160 mbit/s
they still got 99% confidence for 1 of 8 with lame, 2 of 8 with
bladeenc, and 5 of 8 for mpegenc.
Now, this is a student report, so I would not take it as 100%
certainly true, but the blinded A/B procedure makes the test
reasonably well controlled.

Randy Yates

"Charles Tomaras" writes:

"Randy Yates" wrote in message
Arny,

Given a relatively good MP3 encoder, has any of your ABX testing been
able to quantify whether or not people can reliable detect the
difference between a CD recording and 128 kbps MP3?

Doesn't take special tests to hear the difference at 128kbps for any of the
codecs that I have heard. The differences are pretty obvious to most astute
listeners even on moderately priced equipment. As a jazz fan I really hear
it on the high end of cymbals with swirly sort of phase issues.

This is exactly the sort of unscientific assertion I wanted to circumvent
by my ABX-qualified question.
--
% Randy Yates % "Ticket to the moon, flight leaves here today
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % from Satellite 2"

Randy Yates

"Arny Krueger" writes:

"Randy Yates" wrote in message

Given a relatively good MP3 encoder, has any of your ABX testing been
able to quantify whether or not people can reliable detect the
difference between a CD recording and 128 kbps MP3?

As a rule, its possible to hear at last slight differences, especially if
you pick the music to exploit the failings of the coder.

Thanks Arny. I cannot, even with the proported "difficult" jangling
keys passage - I suppose I'm just getting old.
--
% Randy Yates % "She's sweet on Wagner-I think she'd die for Beethoven.
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % She love the way Puccini lays down a tune, and

Randy Yates

(Svante) writes:

[...]

Svante, by all means, I appreciate your response. This is good
information.
--
% Randy Yates % "Though you ride on the wheels of tomorrow,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % you still wander the fields of your

Charles Tomaras

"Charles Tomaras" writes:

"Randy Yates" wrote in message
Arny,

Given a relatively good MP3 encoder, has any of your ABX testing been
able to quantify whether or not people can reliable detect the
difference between a CD recording and 128 kbps MP3?

Doesn't take special tests to hear the difference at 128kbps for any of

the
codecs that I have heard. The differences are pretty obvious to most

astute
listeners even on moderately priced equipment. As a jazz fan I really

hear
it on the high end of cymbals with swirly sort of phase issues.

This is exactly the sort of unscientific assertion I wanted to circumvent
by my ABX-qualified question.

While I can appreciate the accuracy of blind testing, I recently heard
someone post on a newsgroup that you don't need a blind comparison test to
tell the difference between vodka and water. I'm sorry if one cannot hear
the difference between Redbook CD and 128kbps material compressed with the
popular codecs.....I think it's as obvious as the water and vodka analogy.
When you get up to 192kbps and above the differences are much less
pronounced but at 128kpbs it's not even close.

Rich Andrews

Randy Yates wrote in :

(Svante) writes:

Randy Yates wrote in message news:

[...]

Even at 320kc the MP3 is audibly different. It cannot help but be
different. It is a lossy compression.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 06:11:03 -0000, Rich Andrews
wrote:

Randy Yates wrote in :

(Svante) writes:

[...]

That it is lossy compression, and therefore *measurably* diffferent,
does not mean that it's *audibly* different. Only *listening* tests,
under controlled conditions, can determine audibility. General
repoirts seem to indiucate that 128kbs is audible, but 192 may be
adequate for all but the most critical applications.