A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter.com

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter.com forum » rec.audio » Pro Audio
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

64 bit processing, etc.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 9th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 83
Default 64 bit processing, etc.

Hello,

This is sort of off-topic, but not.

I'm in the market for a new computer with Vista. I can't for the life
of me figure out if the Intel Core 2 Duo is a true 64 bit processor, a
fake one, or nothing at all to do with 32 bit.

And....

Any thoughts on audio software evolving into 64 bit architectures?
That would probably kill the argument that you need to go analog to
mix due to summing issues.

And then there are different versions of Vista. Supossedly, only the
"ultimate super premium" edition is true 64 bit.

Just trying to get pointed in the right direction. Took a break for a
while...

Ads
  #2  
Old February 9th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,172
Default 64 bit processing, etc.

> wrote ...

> I'm in the market for a new computer with Vista. I can't for the life
> of me figure out if the Intel Core 2 Duo is a true 64 bit processor, a
> fake one, or nothing at all to do with 32 bit.


It is 64 bit and backwards-compatible to run 32...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:In...2#32_vs_64_bit

> And then there are different versions of Vista. Supossedly, only the
> "ultimate super premium" edition is true 64 bit.


And you would be interested in "Vista" because....?

Most knowledgeable people in my acquaintance are
avoiding it like the plague.


  #3  
Old February 9th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 83
Default 64 bit processing, etc.

On Feb 8, 10:13 pm, "Richard Crowley" > wrote:
> > wrote ...
>
> > I'm in the market for a new computer with Vista. I can't for the life
> > of me figure out if the Intel Core 2 Duo is a true 64 bit processor, a
> > fake one, or nothing at all to do with 32 bit.

>
> It is 64 bit and backwards-compatible to run 32...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:In...2#32_vs_64_bit
>
> > And then there are different versions of Vista. Supossedly, only the
> > "ultimate super premium" edition is true 64 bit.

>
> And you would be interested in "Vista" because....?
>
> Most knowledgeable people in my acquaintance are
> avoiding it like the plague.


well, that's what is out there and time marches on. i'm sure it will
settle in. a big drawback is that it requires a lot of ram. but
ultimately, the architecture will allow massive amounts of ram. we
will be able to forget about how fast the drives are, raid, etc. just
load the entire file into fast ram and don't worry about the drives.

  #4  
Old February 9th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,172
Default 64 bit processing, etc.

> wrote ...
> "Richard Crowley" wrote:


>> Most knowledgeable people in my acquaintance are
>> avoiding it like the plague.

>
> well, that's what is out there and time marches on. i'm sure it will
> settle in.


I propose to migrate to Linux (or Mac?) by the time WinXP
support ends.

> a big drawback is that it requires a lot of ram. but
> ultimately, the architecture will allow massive amounts of ram. we
> will be able to forget about how fast the drives are, raid, etc. just
> load the entire file into fast ram and don't worry about the drives.


None of those things are the major concern. As you say,
Moore's Law provides improved CPU, RAM, hard drive,
display, etc. technology all the time.

The embedded (and draconian by most accounts) DRM
is the show-stopper for many people.


  #5  
Old February 9th 07, 08:08 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 484
Default 64 bit processing, etc.

Richard Crowley wrote:
> > wrote ...
>
>> I'm in the market for a new computer with Vista. I can't for the life
>> of me figure out if the Intel Core 2 Duo is a true 64 bit processor, a
>> fake one, or nothing at all to do with 32 bit.

>
> It is 64 bit and backwards-compatible to run 32...
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:In...2#32_vs_64_bit
>
>> And then there are different versions of Vista. Supossedly, only the
>> "ultimate super premium" edition is true 64 bit.

>
> And you would be interested in "Vista" because....?
>
> Most knowledgeable people in my acquaintance are
> avoiding it like the plague.


And this movie plays itself out every time a new OS is introduced...
  #6  
Old February 9th 07, 08:09 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 484
Default 64 bit processing, etc.

Richard Crowley wrote:
> > wrote ...
>> "Richard Crowley" wrote:

>
>>> Most knowledgeable people in my acquaintance are
>>> avoiding it like the plague.

>> well, that's what is out there and time marches on. i'm sure it will
>> settle in.

>
> I propose to migrate to Linux (or Mac?) by the time WinXP
> support ends.


Good luck with that :-) Let us all know how that works for ya :-)
  #8  
Old February 9th 07, 09:47 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,824
Default 64 bit processing, etc.

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:13:56 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
> wrote:

>And you would be interested in "Vista" because....?
>
>Most knowledgeable people in my acquaintance are
>avoiding it like the plague.


I'm sure the knowledgeable ones are avoiding early adoption, while
avoiding striking any emotional attitude to Vista.
  #9  
Old February 9th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,744
Default 64 bit processing, etc.

On Feb 8, 9:59 pm, wrote:

> I'm in the market for a new computer with Vista. I can't for the life
> of me figure out if the Intel Core 2 Duo is a true 64 bit processor, a
> fake one, or nothing at all to do with 32 bit.


I see nobody has answered the question. The Core 2 Duo is one that's
been described as "Vista ready" whatever that means.

I agree that eventually Vista will be the only Windows you can get
(until the next great operating system comes along) but I also agree
that it would be a good idea to hold off setting up a Vista-based
audio system for another several months, or maybe a year. Can you
continue to use what you have?

Or are you willing to install XP on a new Vista-ready machine now and
upgrade it to Vista when the need becomes apparent? That would be the
smartest thing, I think, if you're going to put together a new
computer now anyway. But if you can wait to buy the computer until you
really need it (and Vista), things will only get cheaper.

> Any thoughts on audio software evolving into 64 bit architectures?


So far it seems that Cakewalk/Sonar is leading the pack. Either you
like it or you don't, but because it's there wouldn't be enough to
sell me on new hardware and software if what I had now was working
fine.

> That would probably kill the argument that you need to go analog to
> mix due to summing issues.


Only if it's well implemented. But then people seem to be satisfied
with present 32-bit systems when they get the right software and set
it up properly. Those who use external analog mixing do it for one of
three reasons:

1. They like the comfort or a real mixer
2. They're behind the times and still believe that computers can't
satisfactorily mix audio.
3. Their system is behind times and really benefits from analog mixing
in some respects.

> And then there are different versions of Vista. Supossedly, only the
> "ultimate super premium" edition is true 64 bit.


This is still confusing. At this point, if you really want to know
what it does, I wouldn't trust what anybody tells you, because there
are probably different ways of interpreting "true 64 bit."

  #10  
Old February 9th 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 850
Default 64 bit processing, etc.

"Richard Crowley" > wrote in news:53277lF1qf5iaU1
@mid.individual.net:

> > wrote ...
>
>> I'm in the market for a new computer with Vista. I can't for the life
>> of me figure out if the Intel Core 2 Duo is a true 64 bit processor, a
>> fake one, or nothing at all to do with 32 bit.

>
> It is 64 bit and backwards-compatible to run 32...
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:In...2#32_vs_64_bit
>
>> And then there are different versions of Vista. Supossedly, only the
>> "ultimate super premium" edition is true 64 bit.

>
> And you would be interested in "Vista" because....?
>
> Most knowledgeable people in my acquaintance are
> avoiding it like the plague.


Yet my software company already has 4 clients who have bought Vista
machines and are struggling to get everything running. Gotta love those
early adopters.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multi-Band Dynamic Processing? Matrixmusic Pro Audio 5 December 20th 05 01:50 AM
Mixing, Any additional suggestions? Matrixmusic Pro Audio 24 September 10th 05 02:01 PM
Mixing, Any additional suggestions? Matrixmusic Pro Audio 22 May 27th 05 03:15 AM
Some Mixing Techniques kevindoylemusic Pro Audio 78 February 16th 05 07:51 AM
Audio processing techniques for Amateur Radio Don Snodgrass Pro Audio 2 December 29th 04 12:00 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 AudioBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.