Licensing music in podcast

Old September 5th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan

Default Licensing music in podcast

Forwarding a question asked of me.

What are the licensing requirements for music in podcasts? I assume it
would be similar to broadcast (BMI, ASCAP stuff).

The example given is a church podcasting their service including the
copyrighted anthems.
Old September 5th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Carey Carlan" wrote ...
> Forwarding a question asked of me.
>
> What are the licensing requirements for music in podcasts? I assume it
> would be similar to broadcast (BMI, ASCAP stuff).
>
> The example given is a church podcasting their service including the
> copyrighted anthems.

ASCAP and BMI both had web-casting rates posted online
last time I checked (seems like it was ~ $250/year minimum
per clearinghouse).

Note that a significant % of sacred music may be licencecd
by a third org: SESAC.

Last time I checked CCLI was NOT participating in this arena
except for licensing distribution of physical recordings (cassette,
CD)

Old September 5th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan

"Richard Crowley" > wrote in news:edkpj9$514$1
@news01.intel.com:

> "Carey Carlan" wrote ...
>> Forwarding a question asked of me.
>>
>> What are the licensing requirements for music in podcasts? I assume it
>> would be similar to broadcast (BMI, ASCAP stuff).
>>
>> The example given is a church podcasting their service including the
>> copyrighted anthems.

> ASCAP and BMI both had web-casting rates posted online
> last time I checked (seems like it was ~ $250/year minimum
> per clearinghouse).
>
> Note that a significant % of sacred music may be licencecd
> by a third org: SESAC.
>
> Last time I checked CCLI was NOT participating in this arena
> except for licensing distribution of physical recordings (cassette,
> CD)

Thanks. That's what I needed to know.
Old September 6th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Andy

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:44:35 GMT, Carey Carlan >
wrote:

>Forwarding a question asked of me.
>
>What are the licensing requirements for music in podcasts? I assume it
>would be similar to broadcast (BMI, ASCAP stuff).
>
>The example given is a church podcasting their service including the
>copyrighted anthems.

Depends on who owns the copywrite. If its "commerical" music then you
need to pay the ASCAP/BMI fees. Howver there are plenty of sources of
independent music you can play on podcasts. The one I use all the
time is http://music.podshow.com

Old September 6th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan

Andy > wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

> On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:44:35 GMT, Carey Carlan >
> wrote:
>
>>Forwarding a question asked of me.
>>
>>What are the licensing requirements for music in podcasts? I assume it
>>would be similar to broadcast (BMI, ASCAP stuff).
>>
>>The example given is a church podcasting their service including the
>>copyrighted anthems.

> Depends on who owns the copywrite. If its "commerical" music then you
> need to pay the ASCAP/BMI fees. Howver there are plenty of sources of
> independent music you can play on podcasts. The one I use all the
> time is http://music.podshow.com

This is not pre-recorded music. The church uses copyighted sheet music for
their live-performance anthems and service music.
Old September 6th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Andy

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 03:00:24 GMT, Carey Carlan >
wrote:

>Andy > wrote in news:[email protected]
>4ax.com:
>
>> On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:44:35 GMT, Carey Carlan >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Forwarding a question asked of me.
>>>
>>>What are the licensing requirements for music in podcasts? I assume it
>>>would be similar to broadcast (BMI, ASCAP stuff).
>>>
>>>The example given is a church podcasting their service including the
>>>copyrighted anthems.

>> Depends on who owns the copywrite. If its "commerical" music then you
>> need to pay the ASCAP/BMI fees. Howver there are plenty of sources of
>> independent music you can play on podcasts. The one I use all the
>> time is http://music.podshow.com

>This is not pre-recorded music. The church uses copyighted sheet music for
>their live-performance anthems and service music.

If its sheet music, it doesn't sound like an ASCAP/BMI issue, I would
suggest your write a letter to the people that produce / distribute
the sheet music and see what they have to say.
Old September 6th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Carey Carlan > wrote:

>This is not pre-recorded music. The church uses copyighted sheet music for
>their live-performance anthems and service music.

Do they pay fees for the performance? Wherever that money goes is where
the money for podcasting rights go.

I'll also point out that there is plenty of excellent PD church music out
there.... and most of the really good stuff is PD anyway if you go searching
for older arrangements. The Magnificat is getting a little old these days
but it stands up against anything currently fashionable...
Old September 6th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Carey Carlan > wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) wrote in

>>>This is not pre-recorded music. The church uses copyighted sheet
>>>music for their live-performance anthems and service music.

>> Do they pay fees for the performance? Wherever that money goes is
>> where the money for podcasting rights go.

>No. I'd assume the live performance rights are included in the purchase
>price of the music. I've never seen a church pay performance fees for
>ordinary service music except when broadcast or recorded.

In that case, podcasting rights might be included as well. Look at the
fine print in the front of the songbook.

>Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question. If a church podcasts its services,
>do they owe anyone anything? There are no revenues generated (the usual
>measure for ASCAP and BMI payments).

That depends on the fine print and what they signed.
Old September 6th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Wozniak

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> Carey Carlan > wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) wrote in

>>> Do they pay fees for the performance? Wherever that money goes is
>>> where the money for podcasting rights go.

>>No. I'd assume the live performance rights are included in the purchase
>>price of the music. I've never seen a church pay performance fees for
>>ordinary service music except when broadcast or recorded.

> In that case, podcasting rights might be included as well. Look at the
> fine print in the front of the songbook.
>
>>Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question. If a church podcasts its services,
>>do they owe anyone anything? There are no revenues generated (the usual
>>measure for ASCAP and BMI payments).

> That depends on the fine print and what they signed.
> --scott
> --

IIRC, ASCAP & BMI make no distinction between profit/non-profit. Perhaps
their only criteria is "use"? I'm not sure, tho.

Mikey
Nova Music Productions