-3dbfs for web/podcast audio?

Old August 26th 11, 01:00 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
joe h

Default -3dbfs for web/podcast audio?

Hello,

I've been doing some recordings for web/podcast work. Nothing too
serious yet. Just practicing to get the hang of it.

I've been editing the audio files so that they max peak around
-3dbfs. I know some rock bands try for -0.1dbfs. But that seems kind
of extreme. I'm doing some mild compression, but definitely not
trying to win the loudness wars.

I could easily go -1 or -2dbfs instead of -3dbfs. Just not sure what
makes the most sense for a "sensible internet peak signal level" for
spoken word stuff.
Old August 26th 11, 01:10 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger[_4_]

"joe h" > wrote in message

> I've been doing some recordings for web/podcast work. Nothing too
> serious yet. Just practicing to get the hang of it.

> I've been editing the audio files so that they max peak around
> -3dbfs. I know some rock bands try for -0.1dbfs. But that seems kind
> of extreme. I'm doing some mild compression, but definitely not
> trying to win the loudness wars.

> I could easily go -1 or -2dbfs instead of -3dbfs. Just not sure what
> makes the most sense for a "sensible internet peak signal level" for
> spoken word stuff.

I use -1 dB FS, based on a large number of tests of digital gear of all
kinds. While some converters are very clean right up to -0.01 dB FS, a lot
of them crap out a little bit earlier.

If one looks at commercial CD recordings from the days before
hypercompression and the like, very few entire CDs limited their peaks to as
low as - 3 dB FS. At least one track peaking at -1 dB FS or above was pretty
common. Individual tracks may have peaked out in the -3 to -5 dB region,
probably for artistic reasons.

Keeping the levels up on tracks destined for portable players can make a lot
of sense because many portable digital players lack the reserve gain
required to bring up the levels of tracks that peak lower. There's a lot of
governmental concern about consumers damaging their ears this way.

Of course it doesn't take much to change out the OEM earphones with
transducers that have appreciably higher efficiency, or to tack on a
headphone booster amp.

A common European digital player tweak is to reset the player's parameters
and say that it is being used in the US where there is little or no such
legislation.

Old August 26th 11, 02:36 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >,
joe h > wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I've been doing some recordings for web/podcast work. Nothing too
>serious yet. Just practicing to get the hang of it.
>
>I've been editing the audio files so that they max peak around
>-3dbfs. I know some rock bands try for -0.1dbfs. But that seems kind
>of extreme. I'm doing some mild compression, but definitely not
>trying to win the loudness wars.
>
>I could easily go -1 or -2dbfs instead of -3dbfs. Just not sure what
>makes the most sense for a "sensible internet peak signal level" for
>spoken word stuff.

It depends a whole lot on your encoder and how it works. You may well be
able to go to 0dBFS and be fine.

You don't need much compression, but limiting peaks can sometimes help a
whole lot in bringing overall levels up without affecting sound much or at
all. If you're only chopping one or two peaks in the whole file, nobody
will notice, and you can gain substantial level improvement. You don't have
to slam it.
Old August 26th 11, 06:07 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
joe h

Thanks guys, that's great information and insights.

I'll go for -1dbfs and mild compression/limiting.

Old August 26th 11, 08:19 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

Arny Krueger > wrote:

> "joe h" > wrote in message
>
> > I've been doing some recordings for web/podcast work. Nothing too
> > serious yet. Just practicing to get the hang of it.

> > I've been editing the audio files so that they max peak around
> > -3dbfs. I know some rock bands try for -0.1dbfs. But that seems kind
> > of extreme. I'm doing some mild compression, but definitely not
> > trying to win the loudness wars.

> > I could easily go -1 or -2dbfs instead of -3dbfs. Just not sure what
> > makes the most sense for a "sensible internet peak signal level" for
> > spoken word stuff.

> I use -1 dB FS, based on a large number of tests of digital gear of all
> kinds. While some converters are very clean right up to -0.01 dB FS, a lot
> of them crap out a little bit earlier.

That works well, IME.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri

Podcast proxy Manuel Rodriguez General 0 November 15th 09 03:35 PM
greatest podcast ever Angelocracy Pro Audio 0 July 2nd 08 10:35 PM
Recs for office podcast studio? Kiwanda Pro Audio 4 April 19th 07 03:44 PM
Licensing music in podcast Carey Carlan Pro Audio 20 September 8th 06 07:40 AM
recording a podcast on a G4--usb interface? [email protected] Pro Audio 1 February 7th 06 10:04 PM